Whose the hardest level boss you've ever had to defeat?

MADrevilution

Nov 2, 2010
i found the gears 1 end boss preety difficult but the hardest for me is the last boss on Prototype, ended up selling it after about a week of getting my ass pwned

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
dancinginfernal said:
WITNESS GAXKANG.

Nightmare.
I actually found Gaxkang to be pretty damn easy.

OT:

Misty, Whitney, and, while I haven't fought her I assume she's hard, Cynthia.

All from Pokemon. Usually they're hard, sometimes you're gonna find them easy.

spike42095

Sep 21, 2010
When I was young, I got a game called kingdom hearts: chain of memories.
I played the game well, but somehow there was one boss I just couldn't beat!
Captain hook!
He managed to kill me every time!
I played my friends game, who beat him, and managed to kill every other boss!
But captain hook remains my biggest fear in a boss.

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
StealthyNinja said:
Isla said:
I've had a few over the years I've found to be impossible
But I remember most vividly playing pokemon in both heartgold and gold and taking several and I do mean several DAYS to beat Whitney the normal type pokemon trainer.

Who knew a milltank could be that hard to defeat
Bloody rollout.

So who was yours?
Its funny, everybody always complains about how hard to beat Whitney is and I end up never having a problem with her.

As for me, I was never able to beat the final boss in Final Fantasy 3 on the DS. I also could never beat Drake of the Elite Four in Pokemon Emerald so I had to restart the whole game because I was so underleveled and had such a weak team.
Everyone always seems to have some trouble with the elite four
I never did, maybe a few faints here and there, but I found them pretty easy.
I managed to beat Red by a flook in pokemon heart gold.
I had 1hp left and managed to take him down.
My crowning achievement

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
The most recent pain in the ass boss I've had is the Broodmother in Dragon Age. Doing that boss for the first time is bloody impossible. Even the last boss wasn't that rage inducing.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Hashime said:
There is a giant collector floaty reaper thing (not the boss) in ME2 that is fought in the derilect reaper ship level. That thing is super hard because husks come from everywhere forcing you out of cover while that thing rips you apart with its lasers.
I actually thought that was easy. All I do is save my collector beam's energy rounds through all the missions for these specific 'bosses'. When that thing comes out I simply whip my beam out and fry it. Five hundred continuous rounds will tend to do that. The husks are disposed of by my newly found assault rifle; Vanguards are fun. ^_^

In regards to the main post though.

The toughest boss I've ever encountered was the final boss from Bullet Witch. It has an absurd amount of health, sent innumerable waves of fairly powerful flying 'things' which would arc at you and not stop chasing you the entire battle, less you deal with them, which you didn't have enough ammunition to do in the first place; and the entire time you're trying to avoid being obliterated by the bosses uber attacks or simply being crushed by it. Then you're stupid NPC allies (which you get bonus points for saving o_O) get in your way and are also killed by the flying 'things'.

Past the first few missions and the plane mission, every single end level newspaper read as an apocalypse, with no survivors.

In the end I managed to kill the final boss by never stopping my movement, jumping continuously, so as to avoid the flying 'things'; sacrificing all of my allies, and whenever possible calling down meteor strikes, which as far as I could tell only served to annoy the thing.

A last ditch thunder bolt got it in the end. If that had not worked then I'd have been consumed by the dozens of monstrosities dogging me.

Isla said:
Everyone always seems to have some trouble with the elite four
I never did, maybe a few faints here and there, but I found them pretty easy.
I managed to beat Red by a flook in pokemon heart gold.
I had 1hp left and managed to take him down.
My crowning achievement
I can't imagine having difficulty with the elite four-plus champion in the new pokemon games. I literally beat the entirety of Diamond solely with my Empoleon(Lvl 56 after beating the champion).

Thinking back to the first generation though, I needed an entire balanced team of at least level fifty just to get through Lance(not counting potions, revivals, or full restores); then to my horror, I encountered Gary, whom proceeded to one shot every one of my remaining pokemon with his Pidgeot alone.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Hard to say. Those that popped into my head while reading the title was Aries(along with the protect family-part before) in GoW. The last boss in Killzone 2, which I've never completed. I didn't try that hard though, but I got so tired of dying on the enemies all the time that I couldn't bother to play anymore.

Conrad in Alpha Protocol, which I completed about 20 minutes ago, was pretty annoying too.
Shitload of health, hides behind pillars pretty much all the time and has two guards with him. If you kill the guards he'll go berserker and rush towards you. After he's done that for a while he'll summon new guards...
I managed to bug it up by killing one guard and hiding where the other couldnt hit me. Then I shot Conrads leg that was sticking out by a pillar until it was over. Almost ran out of ammo!

Lord Shikko

Feb 3, 2011
I'd have to say the last of the Chosen on Darksiders. What's her name? Silitha? Syphilis? Shit, well, anyway, it was really friggin hard on Apocalyptic difficulty with NO Abyssal Armor AND no Harvester. Basically had to do it naked. Tough as nails, but I got through it. And Eventually got my Armor, which is sweet, and is actually symmetrical.

Lord Shikko

Feb 3, 2011
VaudevillianVeteran said:
The most recent pain in the ass boss I've had is the Broodmother in Dragon Age. Doing that boss for the first time is bloody impossible. Even the last boss wasn't that rage inducing.
Broodmother is frustrating if you don't get it after a few tries. What you need to do is station everyone in different spots so that they can deal with tentacles and Darkspawn, while you whack away at the boss (her?)self. My preferred class is arcane warrior, so it's not too hard to whip this boss with Lelianna (archer) Sten (hammerman) and Alistair. Set your two melee's at the places where the darkspawn show up, and Lelianna in the middle of the field. Also, if you have female char and you give her enough gifts, you can have a lesbian affair with Lelianna. AND you get a major achievement on Xbox. I highly recommend it.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Lord Shikko said:
Broodmother is frustrating if you don't get it after a few tries. What you need to do is station everyone in different spots so that they can deal with tentacles and Darkspawn, while you whack away at the boss (her?)self. My preferred class is arcane warrior, so it's not too hard to whip this boss with Lelianna (archer) Sten (hammerman) and Alistair. Set your two melee's at the places where the darkspawn show up, and Lelianna in the middle of the field. Also, if you have female char and you give her enough gifts, you can have a lesbian affair with Lelianna. AND you get a major achievement on Xbox. I highly recommend it.
Ah, I was playing as a tank, at the time, but I managed to get it sorted after adjusting my team a few times with Wynne for healing, Morrigan for long distance offence and Oghren as second tank. But none the less, thank you for that, my current character is a mage (my weakest class) so I'll probably keep your plan in mind for when I finally decide to do bloody Orzimmar. Suffice to say, that pain in the ass boss is the main reason I'm doing it last.
And cheers for that too, but I've already got the Hopeless Romantic achievement. ;3

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Isla said:
I've had a few over the years I've found to be impossible
But I remember most vividly playing pokemon in both heartgold and gold and taking several and I do mean several DAYS to beat Whitney the normal type pokemon trainer.

Who knew a milltank could be that hard to defeat
Bloody rollout.

So who was yours?
Oh this took several tries. I thought it would be simple. In Pokemon terminology 'Normal' often means 'Pushover'. Oh how unprepared was I? I can usually beat a gym even after polishing off the less important trainers who doss around. Not this time. Rollout and that Miltanks incredible ability to soak up damage beat me easily.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Cogwheel said:
As hard as ADOM and IWBTG are, the final bosses aren't really the worst part.

So instead, I'll nominate Yukari Yakumo, from Perfect Cherry Blossom. Let's say you beat the game on Normal with no continues - a feat in itself. Then you get the horrendously difficult Extra stage. Beat that too? Great! Now you get the Phantasm stage, which is the same but worse, culminating in the hardest boss of the entire series.

Keep watching, it gets worse with horrifying frequency.
Yukari is the hardest? Is that general consensus or personal opinion (outside of the part where she's the only Phantasm boss)? Regardless, more power to you for getting that far. I keep stockpiling massive amounts of lives in Stage 3 only to waste too many on Youmu.

OP: Same series as the above guy, different game. Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. Behold the unholy demon that is Orin. Any lives I've stocked up will disappear because of a wheelbarrow holding catgirl in hell. If I manage to beat her, then she comes back in the next stage for bloody revenge.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Nutcase said:
Tyrannosatan in Deathsmiles. I haven't beat him (her?) yet but got decently close last time.
Yay for Bullet Hell! I can beat Tyrannosatan without continuing once I actually reach it (bombs are my friends). The problem is actually reaching it. I find the stages to be fairly easy, but they whittle away at my health little by little. Hades Castle is nothing short of brutal, especially if I enter with Death Mode on.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Cogwheel said:

So instead, I'll nominate Yukari Yakumo, from Perfect Cherry Blossom. Let's say you beat the game on Normal with no continues - a feat in itself. Then you get the horrendously difficult Extra stage. Beat that too? Great! Now you get the Phantasm stage, which is the same but worse, culminating in the hardest boss of the entire series.

Yukari is the hardest? Is that general consensus or personal opinion (outside of the part where she's the only Phantasm boss)? Regardless, more power to you for getting that far. I keep stockpiling massive amounts of lives in Stage 3 only to waste too many on Youmu.

OP: Same series as the above guy, different game. Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. Behold the unholy demon that is Orin. Any lives I've stocked up will disappear because of a wheelbarrow holding catgirl in hell. If I manage to beat her, then she comes back in the next stage for bloody revenge.

Opinion and consensus, actually.

That said, I suspect other extra bosses come close on difficulty. No idea which ones, though. Not really sure how to rank them.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Cogwheel said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Cogwheel said:

Opinion and consensus, actually.

That said, I suspect other extra bosses come close on difficulty. No idea which ones, though. Not really sure how to rank them.
General consensus says the Prismrivers for the difficulty spike (and Merlin specifically for curving lasers), Reimu and Marisa for being patterned spam or random spam respectively (and Master Spark), Aya in MoF because of the survival spell, (optionally) Parsee for having homing attacks as a Stage 2 boss, Yuugi for sheer brutality, Satori for copying difficult attacks, Orin for being Orin, Murasa for giant anchors, and Shou for more curving laser goodness. Most of the extra bosses count by default I think. Ranking is probably out of the question, but Orin might take the cake.