Why a classical zombie outbreak would be rather underwhelming

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
One of the favourite topics on this forum is zombie outbreaks. What would you do in a zombie outbreak, where would you hide, what game hero would deal most efficiently with a zombie outbreak etc.

The only common assumption in these lines of thought is that the rest of society will go to hell, and that you will have to start civilization over again. This is a faulty assumption if the zombie outbreak were a classical one.

First, what do I mean by classical zombies? By classical zombies I mean zombies that are dead humans devoid of thought, who walks slowly and attempts to bite the other person, frequently devouring them. A bite from these will sooner or later transform you into a zombie (if not eaten). They can safely ignore lost limbs, holes in their body etc, their only real physical weakness is their head: Destroy it somehow(through decapitation or a headshot for example) and you will destroy the zombie.

There are differing theories as to how long it will take from a classical zombie bites its victim until the victim is transformed. Max Brooks claims that it will take as much as 24 hours until the transformation is complete.

If this is the truth the zombie infestation will never reach critical mass. Imagine a lone zombie in Los Angeles: After it has bitten a few people a proper law enforcement agency will intervene and put it in a straitjacket, or street justice will destroy it(people will defend themselves and kill or restrain it). Say it bit 10 people this way. It is hard to imagine it biting more people: After all, it is not very fast, and people tend to avoid maniacs they have seen biting other people. After 24 hours, those 10 become zombies, and they bite 10 more. After 24 additional hours those 10 has become 100; by this time law enforcement and doctors have discovered the strange condition those people are in. If the police has detained but one zombie, a doctor should immediately recognize that damn, that guy's heart doesn't beat!

After 72 hours, we now have 1000 zombies. But now people are alerted to the threat, and Los Angeles is evacuated, all evacuees are placed in isolation tightly monitored by medical personnel. The army is set in against the threat, and the zombies are quickly destroyed by sheer numbers. When further details about the zombies are discovered, they find that destroying the head of all dead people will stop any eventual zombie infestation. Yes, it is that easy: According to Brooks, victims bitten by a zombie spend a couple of hours dead before they rise as a zombie again. During this time, their head can obviously be destroyed, thus ending any possibility that they become zombies. While zombie scenarios usually contain some kind of ethical dilemma along the lines of: "Is it moral to kill him because he might become a zombie and endanger us all?", this doesn't: Since the viction spends a few hours as a dead man before rising, all we have to do is to destroy the brains of the already dead.

If there are more than one zombie the numbers change, but not the logic; the spread will still be too slow for the zombies to reach critical mass. 24 hour intervals are quite simply too long.

Let us assume, then, that the time needed to become a zombie is smaller, just a couple of minutes or less. In such a case, numbers could quickly overwhelm a major population centre. But would it destroy civilization as we know it? Most certainly not.

As mentioned, zombies move at walking speeds. This is 6 km/hour if you walk fast. While zombies have the capability to walk fast when they are "excited", they usually don't. A normal speed of 3 km/hour is not unreasonable to assume. Since zombies also tend to wander aimlessly, this walking speed is perhaps overestimating their capability to move over long distances.

So let us say that Los Angeles has turned undead. The undeads spread in all direction at speed of 3km*24hours=72 km/day. In one day they devour or convert the cities in the vicinity. After 24 hours people will certainly have gotten to know, either by word of mouth or by mass media, that they have to flee the area. And flee they will. By now the army is alerted. The army will move in and crush all zombies.

Many people would think this is an arrogant assumption because OMG! Teh zombies only die when they aer shot in the head!! But guess what, tens if not hundreds of thousands of people fighting the zombies will find out fairly soon methinks. It's fairly intuitive really, and seeing as the zombies march towards the soldiers at walking speeds the soldiers will get plenty of time to aim.

Once the surprise element is taken away, killing zombies would be like shooting fish in a barrel. As long as your escape route is clear, soldiers can simply walk away when the zombies are too close. Nowadays creating clothes covering your entire body that are capable of withstanding a bite should be the easiest thing in the world; in fact I am 100% certain that it already exists. Also, a sniper barricaded in a tower with a few days worth of supplies would be able to entirely destroy hundreds of zombies a day, and zombies would be unable to do anything back. An armored vehicle could easily be outfitted in such a fashion that humans would be unable to break in using raw force. If the zombies came in a large horde, heavy machine guns and explosives would decimate them so fast that it wouldn't even be funny. No zombie would be able to destroy a tank.

On the civilian front, it would take little effort to make a city impervious to zombie attack. Just make it mandatory for every home owner to have a safe floor where it it impossible for a zombie to break in. Also make it mandatory to have a couple of days of supplies stored. This is a relatively easy feat to achieve for most families: Just cover your windows with something and make the door more solid. If you have a second story, make the stairs retractable or something. If you live in an apartment building it is even easier, since those are usually made out of cement or bricks or something solid anyways; these people only need to have solid doors. If every mans house is a fortress, people can run home at the event of an outbreak, and those unlucky few who have become zombies will wander in the streets as target practice. Also note that this doesn't necessarily have to be government decreed: People will likely try to make their family as safe as possible even if the government doesn't make it mandatory to do so.

So in conclusion, a classical zombie infestation can be a veritable local threat, but on the national or international level it will be rather harmless.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
I don't know :p.
There are so many fancy-schmancy zombie types nowadays it's hard to keep track of all... And I haven't watched too many zombie movies about modern zombies so I don't know so much about them either.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Won't change the logic. The speed of the zombies will still limit the expansion of the outbreak so that the military and civil society will be able to take adequate countermeasures.

lee99

May 28, 2008
thing is even if zombies move as fast as a car they still wont be able to go over continets or countries since they probably die
im probably at the best place for a zombie outbreak ;)
ISRAEL!. we have secured borders alot of millitary
and the houses are very safe (were a really nice country to live in!)
also alot of farmers here for food.
classic zombies are too slow :0 no chance that it will wipe out over 50% of population

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Something interesting to consider though with classical zombies isn't the bite, its that any human corpse decomposed enough that the nervous system is not toast is instantly 'waking up'.

Your version of zombie still implies that infection is necessary for the 'dead' nervous system to just operate the flesh on a need to feed only basis. Some versions of the classic zombie only needs a corpse, period - I think that is because the classic zombie was jump started by "radiation", where as a number of contemporary zombies have their nervous systems re-booted by an infection of some sort.

If you want to go as far back as the history of zombies, zombies where just people with mis-understood medical problems, such as comas, so they wake up from being what was then considered medically "dead".

Aidanadv

May 10, 2008
lee99 said:
thing is even if zombies move as fast as a car they still wont be able to go over continets or countries since they probably die
im probably at the best place for a zombie outbreak ;)
ISRAEL!. we have secured borders alot of millitary
and the houses are very safe (were a really nice country to live in!)
also alot of farmers here for food.
classic zombies are too slow :0 no chance that it will wipe out over 50% of population
Yeah, in World War Z Israel actually came out of the Zombie War okay since they self-quarantined at the beginning of the outbreak. Also, most of their Arab neighbors had nuked each other becuase they couldn't agree on where to stop the refugees.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
There is one small oversight here. The premise is that zombies survive by eating brains. Where the hell are they going to find brains in downtown LA!

AnGeL.SLayer said:
Well damn, who let the party killer in? Don't rain on our zombie lovin' parade.

^_^
Zombies rule! Unless you have a boomstick. The more barrels, the merrier.

hcselaw

May 29, 2008
If you have read the works of Max Brooks, (World War Z) you must know that the greatest danger is not a single zombie confined to one area. The true danger comes with the ability of an infected, but not yet dead person to quickly travel internationaly. When your hypothetical Los Angeles starts to evacuate, those with the means to do so will get as far away as possible, and spread the infection not only to surrounding cities, but around the entire world.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Some versions of the classic zombie only needs a corpse, period -
This is interesting, and deserves a scholarly investigation. Maybe if all the graveyards in the world arose at the same time it would create the desired (by this forum) civilization-ending effect. It depends on how long time it would take for a bitten victim to turn into a zombie and how likely a zombie would be to devour it's prey rather than let it die and rise again. If, however, only one graveyard arose at a time I think the infestation would be unable to reach critical mass. Also it should be relatively easy to dig up all the graves and destroy the corpses. Morbid, yes, but I think people will value their lives more than the dead bodies that will decompose anyways.
There is one small oversight here. The premise is that zombies survive by eating brains. Where the hell are they going to find brains in downtown LA!
Ouch! I see that my article is woefully inadequate when it comes to the eating habits of zombies. My premise is that zombies doesn't need food, like it is described by Max Brooks. However, any need to feed will make the zombie infestation even less potent.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
If you have read the works of Max Brooks, (World War Z) you must know that the greatest danger is not a single zombie confined to one area. The true danger comes with the ability of an infected, but not yet dead person to quickly travel internationaly. When your hypothetical Los Angeles starts to evacuate, those with the means to do so will get as far away as possible, and spread the infection not only to surrounding cities, but around the entire world.
If the time taken from a victim is bitten till it becomes a zombie is several hours, the infestation will spread too slowly anyways. If the time taken is smaller than that, the people will probably become zombies before they board the flight, or on board the flight.

Also most evacuees will likely be held under some sort of control, and foreign governments will be vary of air travel from America. International travel is already monitored closely.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Once they form large hordes, zombies seem to typically fight over and tear their victims into many pieces. A totally dismembered victim would be physically unable to join the horde. Therefore, the size of the horde would be limited to the number of zombies it takes to render a victim totally immobile.

Maybe some people get infected, escape, and then join the horde once they turn. I don't see why they would though.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
bluemarsman said:
What if the infection occurs in a poor third world country with weak government and military?
I'm guessing you've never played RE4. A lot of people have and as such, have a lot of training in taking out third-world zombies. I have a lot of faith in gamers everywhere to keep down zombie rebellions, mainly due to Dead Rising's sales figures.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
If a classic zombie outbrake did break out it be over in a week. Though the casualtys would probley be huge, it wouldn't wipe out 50% of the population, not by a long shot. Maybe 15%, ofcoarse thats still a huge number if your thinking about the whole world. Most people have a good zombie plan in their heads, most would be able to deal with really slow zombies. When I look at a film like 28 days later, then compare it to an old zombie movie, i just find it laughable. Shaun of the Dead if probley the best example of what would actually happen. Most people would survive. Even Shaun survived and he's an idiot. The whole thing was rapted up by the end of the day, it wasn't exactly apcaliptic

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
One of my friends is making a call of Cthulu(?) game variant where we play ourselves. We were going to hole up at the surprisingly secure school. But then you ruined it. Now when we play, I won't possibly be able to suspend my disbelief that rotting corpses are taking over the world. I mean, it's fine that they're getting up and walking around, even attacking people, but not for one second could I forget that they're too slow to possibly cause the apocalypse. Meanie.