Why all the 3d hate?

lord's voken

Oct 9, 2011
from the movie review robert to angry joe, a lot of people are expressing a strong dislike for 3d. why? I felt that avatar and harry potter order of the did a great job with it and would love to see more 3d enabled tvs. i mean have you see those things at best buy? amazing.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Because 99.9% of everything does it wrong. You either get the pop-up book effect (see Clash of the Titans) by a company cutting corners or you get pulled out of the movie (see essentially every 3D movie with something COMING RIGHT AT THE CAMERA!)

Hell, that "coming right at the camera thing" is fucking up my 2D movies even. You can tell when a shot was done because the knife would come at the camera in 3D, not because it was a good shot.

If you want to see a good example, watch Avatar. There is never a moment where something is coming at the camera. The effects are very subtle and unnoticeable but in the unconscious part of your mind, you are seeing these effects and they are making the movie more realistic because of it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, there's a number of vision problems which means people flat out can't watch 3d, but can watch 2d, for one. That's going to piss people off.

Secondly, it's a bit gimmicky, people seem obliged to stop the movie to stick gratuitious 3d shots in, though that's not the fault of the technology itself.

Frezz

Nov 3, 2011
No one's saying 3D isn't cool. The issue with it is that's where it stops. It's a neat novelty that doesn't really add much to the experience. A good movie will draw me in regardless of simulated visual depth, and gimmicky tricks aren't going to save a bad one.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Dont know.

Personally, it seems in most cases unneeded or poorly done. And thats usually my issue with it.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Because 3D tvs are still far too expensive, and the requirement for classes still makes it too inconvenient for home use.

Regarding movie theaters, it's FAR too expensive. It's obscenely offensive for an already-overpriced movie ticket. Especially for animated movies where it literally costs no more than a day or two's work to make it 3D, and because many live movies are done really cheaply and look horrid (Clash of the Titans).

If done well, it's awesome. How to Train Your Dragon, for example, looked great. But it's just WAY too expensive for moviegoers to be worthwhile.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
It's a cheap marketing trick that will give you as direct result give you a headache and will on long term result in serious I problems. No it hasn't been proven, but you can work out yourself that tricking one of your eyes into seeing another set distance as reality will become a problem.

Also it's too badly done, with only single characters or objects being used call we when every single object/landscape has depth then we'll talk.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Because Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger were FAR better in 2d than their successors that were 3D.

Oh wait, we are talking movies (fake lol). Well, I've never actually seen a 3D movie because it's an expensive and retarded gimmick. Until I can get out of my chair and walk around the actors to see the backs of their heads while they face the camera (or audience), then 3D is completely pointless.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
When I watch movies in 3d, I can only focus on one spot so I get the 3d effect, while the rest of the screen is a blur. Sometimes it causes headaches, like Captain EO.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
It costs more than normal TVs/Movies and does nothing but give me a headache. I barely notice any difference between 3D and 2D movies and such as the affect is usually barely noticeable, or so obvious that you can't help but try not to notice it due to how badly it was done. I'll save my money and just watch 2D stuff. Its all just a gimmick to get sales anyway, I doubt people would cry if they stopped doing it. Some would probably be a bit disappointed, but most people I know would just go 'Well its about time...'.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I can only speak for my self but you mentioned Avatar.
Yes, Avatar had wonderful 3D.
You know what else it had? A shit story with Shit writing and remarkably average acting.

There's nothing wrong with 3D in it's self, but too many studios have this attitude.
"I know what would make a great movie! 3D!"
"3D what?"
"3D Schlock!"
"Brilliant!"

The good movies that are 3D would still be good if they weren't 3D.
It's a gimmick that doesn't add anything to movies except cheep eye-candy.

And I didn't mean to use the word "cheep" there, 3D is actually quite expensive, and that's money that could have been spend on making the writing or stories better.

Jan 27, 2011
Mostly because all it does is add depth to the picture.

...Which is something my mind can do on its own already.

That being said, apparently Avatar did it right, with smaller subtle effect to enhance the main picture. I saw it in 2D, so I can't comment on that, but apparently it's one of the ONLY movies to do it right.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Because it went from something that was uses well, like in avatar to something that movies are just shoehorning in so they can jack up the ticket prices.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Let's see: Jacks up the price of things for nothing but a gimmic

Wich wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't being passed off as revolutionary technology for the future.

Those 3D TV's are expensive and not worth it

Movies are now all comming out in 3D and some places don't play the 2D version screwing over people

A lot of the time the 3D's tacked on

I've watched 3D movies and though: "that was nice, but not worth it"

Nothing ruins a movie quite like a smudge on your bloody 3D glasses you need to leave the movie to go to the washroom to clean the glasses, so you can come back missing a chunk of the movie

Some people face fatigue, headaches or it plain doesn't work for them

I like 3D on my 3DS, it's nice. No glasses and I choose when it's on or not.

But companies are trying to push 3D as if it were gods gift to mankind.

Especialy Sony.

3D isn't neccessary. But they're tying to make it part of everything. It's like zombies, people wanna shove it into everything, wether it works or not just because it's 'popular', wich only kills the appeal and makes it over saturated.

In the end, 3D's just another way to charge more for something. That's all it is.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The technology is still underdeveloped to be honest. There's only been one film that got it truly right, and that was Toy story 3, since the effect was subtle and natural looking, and I didn't even notice it after about 2 minutes, pretty much how it should be. Avatar was good, but it took me a lot longer to get over the weird effect of everything seeming disproportionate. I did get used to it after around half an hour though.

Everything else has looked just plain weird with 3D enabled. It's the kind of technology that'll be pretty much standard in 20 or so years, but you'd barely even notice it, it will and should look natural. Right now it just has severe growing pains. Not to mention the headaches/nausea problems that need to be sorted.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Because it's pointless and never adds anything to the movie. The only times I ever notice the 3D in a movie is when something is `coming out at the screen' which rips me out of the experience, or when everything looks like a cardboard cutout, which is really annoying and distracting. If it's not doing either of those things, I might as well be watching a 2D movie. It's just a gimmick.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I can never see myself wanting a 3D TV in my home. 3D is for the outside, and it really doesn't add anything to the experience. Color was a big change, and HD allowed us to view things in greater detail. Unless they make 3D so that you can see ALL the way around an object, by like walking around your room, I won't buy in.