Why all the 3d hate?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Actually I've been playing on my 3DS for several months and have only had one serious problem with the 3d - the tiny number of non-shovelware 3d games. I played through Ocarina Of Time and played a lot of Street Fighter 4 in 3d without trouble. I don't get the 3d hate at all. But then I never go to movie theatres.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
Because it does not deliver on its promises.

After hearing how much better is going to make the experience, blah, blah it turns out to be just meh. Its not bad (well, sometimes it is), but even when done at its best like on Avatar or Tron, it doesn't enhace the experience all that much.

Obviously, cinemas and TV manufacturers were hoping it would, and that you would be willing to pay premium prices. And that kills it, for most people it's not worth it and the marketing push just makes you feel like manufactures think you're an idiot

On the other hand...

Surround sound for home was once perceived as a monumental waste of money.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
1. It's more expensive then 2-D because you're "paying for the experience". Fine, but does every single movie _need_ 3-D?
2. Even though I wear contacts, I usually wear my glasses to the theater, so I'd have to put on the 3-D glasses over my glasses and all my friends get to laugh at me. :(
3. 3-D makes me sick after a while
4. My personal opinion: 3-D doesn't perfect the quality of the film. I fell asleep during Avatar (no 3-D could help me).

Apr 24, 2008
I have a 3DTV, and I like it.

There is definitely a mixed bag of content. Some of the films are excellent, the majority are considerably less impressive...can only assume there is a learning curve in place for the creators.

I've been fairly impressed with Uncharted 3, but the best 3D gaming I've done has been via my PC. I have an ATI gpu so I have 3rd party drivers, my PC is powerful enough to play a fair few games at 1080p in 3D...this is where things have been most impressive. The Batman games in particular have been great. Weirdly, the Serious Sam hd remakes have been a joy too.

I appreciate that it isn't for everything.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
It makes my eyes feel weird when I come out the cinema. (Only once during an actual film, but then again I've only watched three 3D movies)
I have to wear glasses ontop of glasses which makes me feel like a complete jackass
There's always the arbitrary slow-mo shot of something coming towards the camera
The effect largely goes un-noticed unless flat out shown to the audience like the example above ^
Makes movies more expensive to make/watch
It adds a stupid ("IN 3D!") tagline on the movie poster

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
for me... my eyes are damaged. No 3D effect has ever worked for me, I just see extra lines... basically headache-inducing colorful triple-vision (yes, that's with or without my glasses on... also, with or without colored 3D glasses, which just change the colors I see).
I don't mind 3D movies existing, seems like a silly half-measure to me even if it did work (I'm holding out for holo-emitters)... but at least release the movie in 3D and 2D simultaneously so that folks can watch the damn thing.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
Here are my reasons I don't like 3D movies.

1. Too many movies are out in 3D which have no reason to be. Transformers and Avatar, ok sure. But the Hangover 2? I see no reason why.
2. I wear glasses, so unless I wear contacts to the theater, my friends will laugh at how silly I look with the 3D glasses over my actual glasses.
3. 3D movies are more expensive, because you're "paying for the experience". This explains why issue no.1 is prominent.
4. After a while, 3D makes me feel sick.

I just choose not to see movies in 3D.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Until 3D allows me to do this:
I will not bother with it. I saw something, "Owls of Ga'hool" I think, in 3D and was mostly unimpressed. It gives me a headache, and the thought of wearing those stupid glasses while sitting around the living room at home seems kind of silly.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I hate it because it's obnoxious and doubles the price of a movie ticket.
For me it is as simple as that.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I don't like it because as an optical illusion that relies on stereoscopic vision to work it's a waste of my fucking time since I lost fine vision in my right eye.

Call me back when it's actually volumetric.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Claire Poirier said:
As for costing more money, I've never seen a movie theater that had a 3D movie without also having the 2D version. That means that those who don't like 3D don't need to spend the money, thus invalidating the complaint entirely. I could see how it would be annoying if the 3D version were the only one available, but as I said, I've never seen that.
funny cause i've never seen a theater have the 3D and 2D version at once. At least not in any of the theaters in the part of the country i live in.
^ this. In my area (Melbourne, Australia) I've found I really have to search hard to find a 2D screening, as almost all theatres focus on the 3D version because it makes them more money. At the very least there are less 2D sessions, and many venues will show 3D-only.

Personally, I think it's just the latest gimmick and when studios work out that the extra cost of filming in 3D isn't really giving them any return in terms of reducing piracy they'll hopefully give up on it.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Because I want to be engrossed in a film. Whenever I watch a 3D film I feel like the 3D is always reminding me that I'm watching a film - therefore I can't get engrossed. It's as simple as that.

I think it takes more away from a film than it brings to it.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
It's gimmicky.
It was gimmicky in the '80s and the '90s and it is now just continuing the trend. Producers are using it to boost their total box office sales, similarly to when they started investing in IMAX releases, and people are buying into it.

I try to avoid it at all costs, usually in the form of renting it upon home release.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
I love my 3d monitor. I hate that enabling 3d on most games requires that I turn down the graphics. Skyrim in 3D looks really cool, but lags for me unless I turn the graphics from high to low.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think I'll quote Yugioh Bonds Beyond Time Abridged.

We at Yugioh Abridged would like to apologize for the lack of 3D content in this movie. However, we'd like to think this is totally justified since 3D is bullshit and adds absolutely nothing to the cinema experience. So please enjoy your 2D movie. Because it is cheaper and much less obnoxious.
Sums up my thoughts pretty nicely.
Funny. I just realized that I already commented in this thread a while back and totally forgot about it.