Why all the Gamestop hate?

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I hate when people whine about how Gamestop gives you $15 in for a trade in then sells the same game for $50 bucks. You agreed to that price when you traded the game in. If you change your mind and keep the game, you get no money for it. If the game is so valuable, sell it yourself on Craigslist or eBay. Gamestop's trade-in deals are often generous and the process is easy, so I deem the value I get from my games to be fair no matter what they resell the game for. Hating the used games process based on principle is fine, but as I see it, hating it based on pricing is unreasonable

Buttersnaps

Mar 27, 2011
They have been caught selling used games as new, but I think that has been addressed. I usually do my game shopping online but if I want to play a certain game like RIGHT NOW I head over to Gamestop. One bad thing about Gamestop though is the stuff they show on the TVs in there. Annoying promos and clips from The Big Bang Theory (not a fan).

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
I've seen a lot of hate for Gamestop around the net. However, most of it wasn't really explained and I don't really get it. I've never had anything but exemplary service from the store I go to, so I'm hoping people can give reasonable and civil explanations (PLEASE no flame wars).

Also, I apologize if this is a repeat thread.
I'm the same. The local store is 5 minutes away, so i became a member and get almost all my game stuff there. All the clerks are super nice, especially this one guy who just talks and talks about video games he's played its funny.

Yet just like every franchise theres going to be great and shitty stores its just how it is. We got lucky i suppose :p

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Last x-mas a friend got me 2 games from them along with gift receipts just in case I didn't like them and wanted to trade them in for something else. While I appreciated the gifts I was in the market for a 3ds and wanted to trade the games in for a discount. The receipts had a date I can trade them in for as long as they weren't open, which was like a month after x-mas. But when I tried I got some BS about how "oh you can only do that a week after it was purchased" despite nothing of the sort being written on the receipt. So I asked what could they do for me and they said I had to go home, open them and then come back another day so they can pay me used game prices for them, which btw was nothing compared to selling them on ebay.

The moral of the story is do NOT get gift receipts for your friends at gamestop, they're literally worthless pieces of paper.

On another note I also dislike that fact that their used prices are pretty much a sneeze from their new game prices, and even more expensive then other places selling the same game brand new.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
I have absolutely no problem with Gamestop. They have only provided me good service every single time I've been there. I may kinda hate the price I get if I sell a brand new game there, but honestly, when you think about it, whining about it won't get you anywhere, if you don't want it anymore, find a friend that wants it and sell it to them for $40 or something. Or on Ebay or something for that price. No one's forcing you to sell it back to Gamestop. Hell, if you can't do that, give it to someone as a gift, that way you won't need to buy another one for them.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Bad experiences, I'm assuming, I've never gotten any flak from them myself. I don't shop there because we have several intown gaming stores that always have cheaper prices and pay more for used games. I just use them for pre-orders because they get all those exclusives and it's almost garanteed that they'll have them, especially collector's editions.

I've heard some stories, though.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
A large portion of the hate will generate from the fact that some people do not realize that Gamestop is just as much a part of the gaming industry as the publishers/developers and the industry is better off for it.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Most any complaints one can have with Gamestop may be legit save for one, if you don't like the amount that they offer you for a game DON'T SELL IT TO THEM. If you sell your game for the amount they offered you then you have absolutely no right to complain about it.

I work at Gamestop and at my store we do open new games because we have to display a box, but the disks are stored separately from the used games and in white sleeves. We are allowed to check out used games, not new. This is my store. Others may be different of course. If you must hate at least reserve that hate for your specific store.

The

Jan 24, 2012
I dont have many complaints. I just walk in, find my game, and get out. I also dont pre order often, so it helps me not hating them.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I think a lot of people are mixing a conversation like this:

"Dude, buy this pre-owned copy, its cheaper"
"I wanna buy this new version thanks"
"You sure man? It works just as much as a new one and you save money"
"Oh, ok then"

with a conversation like this:

"Dude, buy this one"
"I don't want to"
"Seriously, buy it, its better"
"I want to buy this one, thanks"
"Just fucking buy the cheap one or get out"

Which people actually complain about all the time. I don't see how someone offering you a cheaper copy is apparently hostile and shady, but people get offended by the darnedest things these days.

Oh, in regards to employees at GAME asking if you want to buy points or pre-order something while you're there, when I asked a year ago he told me that they got rated on the accessories or pre-orders that they sold.

Then he promptly told me he'd give me £10 if I flipped a coin and it was a tails, on the condition that I would pre-order a game that I was thinking of getting if it was a heads. I loved that guy, made every trip into that store a laugh.

Going into the aldershot branch on the otherhand, was horrifying. I got kicked out for chuckling when the guy on the till asked a guy with a white gandalf beard for ID. Pricks.

TL:DR
It really depends on the shop if its the employees, if not read the top half of the post, you lazy prick ;)

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
Because they only sell used games $3 cheaper than new ones.
Because they annoy the piss out of me trying to up sell me everything that is coming out for the whole next year.
oh and they treat employees like dirt.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
they you jack shit for game trades even with 10% bonus with the card or the new trade in with 3 games=10% extra trade in value,5 games=20% extra trade in value and 7+ games=30% extra trade in value. Even with this extra stuff you don't make much money back and Gamestop sells it for 10X what they gave you.

It really pisses me off
How dare they use the laissez-faire capitalist economic system of most developed nations properly? The swine!

~~~
On another note: I must be lucky. I've only interacted with sufficently knowledgeable, professional Gamestop employees.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't like their prices and their employees have been disrespectful towards me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Many times I've run into incompetent employees who don't know what basic video/audio stuff is, managers trying to peddle off a used PS3 for 600USD+tax when it was very, very clearly used(when ps3 was newish).

Their trade in/used sales are a joke $12 to sell a literally new game? 54.99 used? I've been going to estarland who rather than 18 bucks for Metroid Other M (Hated that game) I got 28 I believe. And their deals go beyond PS3/360/wii they have Gen/PSOne/Gba/NES/etc. So more money, more old ass games for me to buy.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Don't apologize for a repeat thread. Nearly every thread is a repeat thread. Just let the search bar Nazis ***** like they always do. It's sort of cute in a way.

On Topic: I just dislike how much they push used sales and constantly drone on about pre-orders or magazines or other superfluous shit.

I just want to buy this game and leave. No, I don't want to be a member of your club. No, I don't want to pre-order that. No, not that, either. No, please, no pre-orders for me today. Yes, I'm sure. Thank you. Yeah, yeah.

Also, the basement dwellers that hang out there and seriously think that the staff there want to talk to them about their WoW characters or some such nonsense. It's tragic yet hilarious.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, have you ever traded in a game there? You'd be lucky to get a buck out of them.