Why all the hate for X-men Destiny?

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I'm not necessarily talking about here on this site, as i haven't really seen much talk of it at all here, but elsewhere on the net (Gametrailers in particular) I can count the number of positive comments about this game on one hand.

Now I've seen this happen with plenty of deservedly awful games but I bought Destiny last night and I'm loving it. It has it's flaws yes, and it certainly isn't a AAA release but it's far from the worst game I've ever played.

Has anyone else here played the game? What do you think of it and why do you think it's getting so much hate?

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
It's because of all the wasted potential and the way Silicon Knights hyped up several aspects, like choice and character creation, and gave us a rather average game. That and the way they've seemed to mishandle several characters and an inconsistent character design.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I suspected it would draw aggro when I saw that you dont play as established mutants nor do you get to build your own mutant. The design choice of forcing the player into one of 3 preordained unique chars seemed really really out of place to me and I figured many others would see it much the same way. If thats why other people dislike it, I would not be surprised.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Because folks were expecting 'Age of Apocalypse' and got 'Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects' instead.

???

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
viranimus said:
I suspected it would draw aggro when I saw that you dont play as established mutants nor do you get to build your own mutant. The design choice of forcing the player into one of 3 preordained unique chars seemed really really out of place to me and I figured many others would see it much the same way. If thats why other people dislike it, I would not be surprised.
The 3 playable characters aren't COMPLETELY unconnected to the larger world.

Not sure about the other two but Aimi is Sunfire's daughter. Pretty sure she isn't part of official canon or anything but it sure feels awesome. lol

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
darkcalling said:
viranimus said:

Not sure about the other two but Aimi is Sunfire's daughter. Pretty sure she isn't part of official canon or anything but it sure feels awesome. lol
Really? I'm pretty sure Sunfire already has a daughter, it's kind of weird they would make the random Asian chick his daughter.

Anyway, I haven't projected much hate for it, but it sounds disappointing. I would love a good X-Men RPG, in fact, I think the concept lends itself to the genre just as well if not more than the fantasy and space sets that we keep getting. Unfortunately instead of getting a game half as good as what it could be, we get this...

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
darkcalling said:
viranimus said:

Really? I'm pretty sure Sunfire already has a daughter, it's kind of weird they would make the random Asian chick his daughter.

Anyway, I haven't projected much hate for it, but it sounds disappointing. I would love a good X-Men RPG, in fact, I think the concept lends itself to the genre just as well if not more than the fantasy and space sets that we keep getting. Unfortunately instead of getting a game half as good as what it could be, we get this...
Well they haven't come right out and SAID it but when you see her father in the very beginning of the game he bursts into flame as he walks away, and they share the same last name. Plus Nightcrawler and a couple other x-men have mentioned "i knew your father he'd be proud of you" that kind of thing.

As for any canon children of his I'm unsure. I haven't been able to keep up with the comics as much as i'd like.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
J_Monsterface said:
because its black
......k.

OT: I haven't played it yet, but I've lost interest in it. When it was first announced as a game in which you could create and customize your own mutant in the Marvel universe I was very excited....but as time has gone on and I've seen that customization means choosing from three ready made characters, and the choices of powers are quite minimal....well....eh... Additionally the characters appear to be quite bland - and everyone will pick the Asian girl over the two generic high-school guys as she is the most unique.

I'll probably do what I'm doing with Force Unleashed 2 - wait until I find a super cheap copy of it, or just rent it.

Oct 30, 2010
tanis1lionheart said:
Because folks were expecting 'Age of Apocalypse' and got 'Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects' instead.

???
I have a soft spot in my heart for that game. It tried something new and different. It has a lot of flaws, but I can respect the intent, and I had some fun with it too.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Mostly, I'd say that people just had too long to dwell on what it could be- on what it should be, even- that the actuality was simply not enough. It looks to be a decent, standard beat'em up, which would normally be fine, but it isn't enough for the hype. We went a long while without even knowing what kind of game it was going to be.

Don't know why people wanted another Age of Apocalypse, though- we've seen plenty of that formula. I personally wanted X-Men: inFamous, via Champions Online. You know, without the online. Maybe via Freedom Force... Yeah, that works.