Why all the hate on FFVII?

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
Could I be so rude as to ask for a explanation of your frustration? (or a link to said explanation).
You see, I can accept that people enjoy games that I don't. However, the biggest reason I've ever seen for enjoying FF7 is nostalgia. Most FF7 fanboys never look earlier than that, and because of this they discredit entire fantastic games for very fallible reasons.

Final Fantasy 7 was where they started shoving (pretty much) movies into the final fantasy game. It's the point where the story started actually intruding in on the gameplay, something I have almost no patience for.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Chibz said:
Ninjamedic said:
Could I be so rude as to ask for a explanation of your frustration? (or a link to said explanation).
You see, I can accept that people enjoy games that I don't. However, the biggest reason I've ever seen for enjoying FF7 is nostalgia. Most FF7 fanboys never look earlier than that, and because of this they discredit entire fantastic games for very fallible reasons.
A big factor in that would be FF7 being the first game in the series to be released in europe before the updated re-releases. I only started playing Tactics in the past few weeks.

Final Fantasy 7 was where they started shoving (pretty much) movies into the final fantasy game. It's the point where the story started actually intruding in on the gameplay, something I have almost no patience for.
I actually liked the cutscenes, could that reason be subjective?

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Ninjamedic said:
Xander_VJ said:
Level 4 Limit Snip
I can understand the hate for the Spin-offs, but what annoys me is the people who claim that the series went south at 7 immediately, rather than criticizing the franchise milking.
"Level 4 Limit Snip"?

Anyway, that would make one hell of topic by itself.

For now I will say that depends on who you ask. Fun fact, most people have their "turning south" game in the franchise between games VII and X, both included.

However, most people also seem to agree that, no matter how you look at it, the series started to be condemned for real starting from X-2. Of course, that's when the franchise milking started to be serious business as well.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Xander_VJ said:
However, most people also seem to agree that, no matter how you look at it, the series started to be condemned for real starting from X-2. Of course, that's when the franchise milking started to be serious business as well.
What's also sad is that the Job/Ability system somewhat improved in X-2. Shame 12 was shite.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
Chibz said:
Ninjamedic said:
A big factor in that would be FF7 being the first game in the series to be released in europe before the updated re-releases. I only started playing Tactics in the past few weeks.

I recommend checking out FF3 if anything. FF7 was where the series started (actively) betraying its roots.

As for cutscenes? I think it pretty-much goes without saying that the main part of a video game should be the gameplay. I wouldn't say 7 is the worst, but I will say that it's a far shot from being the best of the series, let alone the amazing game people sing endless praises for it being.

Anyways, back to my onion knights.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
FFVII. I think what people hate about it isn't the game itself it's the select few idiots who refuse to play the other games in the series because it just "can't compare."

I like FFVII. I really do but I still think that it isn't the best game in the series. I'm weird and I think FFIV was the best.

If you play the games BEFORE FFVII you realise what a huge jump it was from VI to VII. I also think that, like what has been said a lot in this thread, things that are popular are often hated a lot more passionately. It's a weird thing to be honest. >.<

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
Chibz said:
I'd be quick to say your reason to hate the cutscenes is quite weak, but that would be unfair without playing FF3, TO AMAZON!
Make sure you buy the REAL ff3. Not the north american 'release' of it. Or, play it on DS, I hear that version is rather nice...

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Ninjamedic said:
Chibz said:
Ninjamedic said:

Everytime I see the "FF VII is popular because is the game everyone started with" it makes me doing a MASSIVE Facepalm.

However, you obviously don't mean ill, so I will overlook it. I will use sarcasm for everyone else, though (don't take it personally).

NO, FF VII IS NOT THE MOST POPULAR FF GAME BECAUSE OF THAT!!!

Remember what "VII" means? It means 7.

That means there were 6 games before it.

You could argue that 7 was the first post-PSX FF game, and hence, most people didn't know of the series before. FF VI was only known by a group of niche players.

NO, IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THAT EITHER!!!

Geez, Louise! You know how difficult was for a franchise to reach its seventh freaking game, even in the SNES era? The FF series was a massive success in Japan STARTING FROM GAME 1, for crying out loud! It saved a entire company from bankruptcy and turned it in arguably THE most important third party company of the 90s.

The franchise was a pop culture classic in Japan way before it reached its seventh game, or even the sixth, for that matter.

They sure as hell knew the franchise well enough when the game was released and had enough fans to have some fandom wars.

And yet, in Japan the seventh game is still the most praised game in the series. And the only game which could almost take that spot from it was FF X. Oh, the irony!

Deal with it already.

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Advent Children went a hell of a long way toward cementing Cloud's reputation as a bit of a worthless mopey *****, to be fair. He is so totally wrapped up in his own crisis he becomes completely unrelatable.

That's why I think Cloud's a douche.

I don't hate FFVII though, I just hate Cloud.

BoredPixel

Jan 31, 2011
I never finished that game ... mostly because I was playing some insanely buggy PC port and the bloody thing crashed every 30 minutes or so, partly because I got bored and lost interest in the story.

I don't hate the game, I just don't like it either. But I dind't dislike it because of "Cloud being emo" or whatever.

I'll agree that Cloud wasn't emo though. At least as much as I could tell from my short playtime. And Sephiroth, well you said it yourself, he went insane.

Cohradoesr

Nov 11, 2010
I don't hate any particular FF game. I have an immense dislike of its rabid fanbase though. I've played almost every single FF game over the years, and every single time I do I get bored, because everyone says it's a gift from god, and what I see is some average JRPG's, with character designs coming out of a cosplayer's worst nightmare.

I honestly DO NOT understand why this series is so popular. They are AVERAGE. And no, I'm not some FPS-whoring, COD-sexing, MoH college frat-boy. I love JRPG's, when they are awesome. DQ, Digital Devil Saga, Xenosaga, I've played a lot. And *to me*, FF can't hold it's own with any of those. (Funny that DQ is from Square Enix....)

/rant

/hope I didn't come across as an elitist douche

/whatever

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
ShatterPalm said:
I love FF7. I've played it through around 10 times. The first 5 times the scene were Aeris died made me all misty eyed. Liked the characters, even though cloud was so incredibly emo, and I loved the materia battle system.

I love the job system in ff5, the plot was paper thin though. Tried FF6, never got into it. Liked FF8 a lot. Hated FF9's art style so never really got into it. FF10 was the last decent game of the series for me.

Since then my JRPG fix has been given to me by my new dealer, Nippon Ichi.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
Before FFVII, the final fantasy games were virtually unknown to mainstream gamers. Fans of 1-6 were part of a small niche, a tiny club, proud of being unique. Then VII just exploded, bringing in all kinds of new people ignorant of the games history and more in love with flashy graphics then story and RPG elements. It was like all the newbies were trespassing on the old guards turf.

A clash was inevitable.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Xander_VJ said:
I said it was a factor, not the factor. I live in Ireland so most of the FF fans I have met haven't played VI. most of whom see VII as their favorite. If I'm wrong I apologize.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
I think that more than anything, it changed the entire JRPG industry. I know there are people who bandwagon the hate, but I'd like to believe that people have a logical reason for hating on a game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I'll add my voice to not thinking FFVII was a bad game, or that Cloud is a one-dimensional emo, or that the narrative is awful (I consider it fairly well done, if a little abstract).
I will say this about VII, though: the way it was advertised and its subsequent great success began the popular trend of RPGs that focus on breathtaking visuals at the cost of complex narrative structure.

Also, yeah... FFVI fanboy for life here.