Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Because the internet has a bizarre fetish of making people famous by hating them.

I certainly wouldn't have heard of Millionaires if the internet collective didn't despise them, and I'd be missing out on some pretty well-written beats if I hadn't heard of them. (Millionaires is an especially interesting example, as they are fully aware that the internet hates them, and trolls their haters as much as they can to make them watch more, and thus make them more money. It works.)
There's hate for them on the Internet? I used to make fun of my Girl Friend for liking them. There was a point when I had to get all of her music for her on her Ipod and I told her that there wasn't a torrent for it anywhere even though I didn't look because I didn't want it in my Music on Itunes. I'm not going on there youtube videos to say "You guys suck get off the world" or something equally retarded.
Check the comments on this video. Just because you're classy enough to not go to the videos to rip on the comments doesn't mean others are.

Then, if you feel bold, check their MySpace. They sarcastically label themselves the "apocalypse of music" then simultaneously thank and flip off their haters.

These girls THRIVE on internet hate.
ahhhh its so bad. I did look at the comments though and theyre just giving them more views in the end.
Precisely. That's why they thrive on hate: The haters come in to flame, and give the girls more in ad revenue.
But let's be 100% serious. They are all far from hot. I just don't get how this music gets signed but then there are amazing bands that work hard and deserve to be signed but they get passed up because it's a risk. Music industry makes me :(
Let's be even more serious: These girls know how to write music. Better than most radio stars, I'd imagine. Even better than some amateur composers who win contests.

I say that with a completely straight face, because it's true. Millionaires have a VERY good grasp of minimalism vs. overproduction, they write good counterpoint, and can twist it altogether in a package that's very fun to listen to.

Then they write the God-awful lyrics to make people hate them.

They work just as hard as the other bands you're thinking of, as writing this kind of music can be harder than writing anything else, because you CANNOT mess up. At all. They just have a leg-up because they managed to attract the internet hate cannon.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Because the internet has a bizarre fetish of making people famous by hating them.

I certainly wouldn't have heard of Millionaires if the internet collective didn't despise them, and I'd be missing out on some pretty well-written beats if I hadn't heard of them. (Millionaires is an especially interesting example, as they are fully aware that the internet hates them, and trolls their haters as much as they can to make them watch more, and thus make them more money. It works.)
There's hate for them on the Internet? I used to make fun of my Girl Friend for liking them. There was a point when I had to get all of her music for her on her Ipod and I told her that there wasn't a torrent for it anywhere even though I didn't look because I didn't want it in my Music on Itunes. I'm not going on there youtube videos to say "You guys suck get off the world" or something equally retarded.
Check the comments on this video. Just because you're classy enough to not go to the videos to rip on the comments doesn't mean others are.

Then, if you feel bold, check their MySpace. They sarcastically label themselves the "apocalypse of music" then simultaneously thank and flip off their haters.

ahhhh its so bad. I did look at the comments though and theyre just giving them more views in the end.
Precisely. That's why they thrive on hate: The haters come in to flame, and give the girls more in ad revenue.
But let's be 100% serious. They are all far from hot. I just don't get how this music gets signed but then there are amazing bands that work hard and deserve to be signed but they get passed up because it's a risk. Music industry makes me :(
Let's be even more serious: These girls know how to write music. Better than most radio stars, I'd imagine. Even better than some amateur composers who win contests.

I say that with a completely straight face, because it's true. Millionaires have a VERY good grasp of minimalism vs. overproduction, they write good counterpoint, and can twist it altogether in a package that's very fun to listen to.

They work just as hard as the other bands you're thinking of, as writing this kind of music can be harder than writing anything else, because you CANNOT mess up. At all. They just have a leg-up because they managed to attract the internet hate cannon.
So pretty much they found the perfect way to make people like them with overproduction while having people hate them for it at the same time which in turn gives them publicity...I really can't argue the genius

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:

So pretty much they found the perfect way to make people like them with overproduction while having people hate them for it at the same time which in turn gives them publicity...I really can't argue the genius
It works. All three girls are using the flood of money for University, I think.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:
Mr. Google said:
lacktheknack said:

It works. All three girls are using the flood of money for University, I think.
Hahaha can't wait till they have to explain those videos to their kids. I would be in shock and horror if I found out my mom had done this to get through college. If it works for them all the better though ahha

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
I don't really see any reason of hating her, I just don't like the song because of what it's about... It's really boring. It sounds ok for the most part, but what it's about is so boring I can't really give it credit.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
EDIT: Oh fuck... I just had to click that red button, didn't I?
I feel your pain :(

Anyway Rebecca Black is basically a shit excuse for a singer I know I can sing better, the fact that she got lucky and is thoroughly renown (for the wrong reasons) I'm not sure if she's paid or not if she is then the hate she's getting is worth it, the more people hating on her videos the more money she makes, comments don't make a difference views do make a difference.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
gamerguy473 said:
Because everyone hates her, and she is oblivious to it. She's ignorant, and a terrible singer.
Stop projecting.

She's a better singer than most (the autotune wasn't her choice, and was totally unneeded) and she's VERY VERY aware that everyone hates her.

To say otherwise is pure blind hate. Stop it, you're better than that.

Mtc

Jul 22, 2011
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
Seriously, why do people hate her so much? I've read a ridiculous amount of death threats in the comments section of her YouTube music videos, and I find it to be absolutely absurd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not personally a fan of her music, but her voice did sound pretty good when she sang a few lines from the US National Anthem on that interview.

Granted, they did use auto-tune in her song "Friday", but that shouldn't totally ruin her credibility as a talented singer. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh fuck... I just had to click that red button, didn't I?
Well, I think death threats is completely ridiculous, although I do share the psychos' wish that she would stop making music. Lyrics are horrible, her voice has obviously been modified and I, as someone who actually spends time trying to be good at playing an instrument, consider it a disgrace to the music industry that someone like her is successful. Of course, most of her success is because people hate her and give her a lot of attention, but if being able to piss people off is what makes a musician these days, I think the music industry has hit that point below rock bottom.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
trooper6 said:
Just to let you know, I was.. only asking for examples. And you gave them, so I will agree with the notice of individuals using misogynistic slurs against this individual (although you do not have to be male to make a misogynistic comment against females, or female to make a misandry comments against a male - tradtional gender values/appearances vs. modern day and the like). I had not seen nor noticed the sexism because I don't pay much attention to Rebecka Black or most other pop sensations, as I do not like lyrical music much at all. Nothing to do with me being a male in society in this case, just not something I pay attention to (or very little).

Although in the case with Twilight, I do argue that the majority of the claims against the series itself is because of the lack of talent the artist herself has with writing a book in general (the movies are more popular than the books with a realistic portrayal of Edward and Jacob now in place, no less), and stemming from there - the inability to understand how anyone in her fan group could see the appeal of the series or it's content.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
gamerguy473 said:
Because everyone hates her, and she is oblivious to it. She's ignorant, and a terrible singer.
Stop projecting.

She's a better singer than most (the autotune wasn't her choice, and was totally unneeded) and she's VERY VERY aware that everyone hates her.

If she's so talented, and confident with her talent, why did she delete 'Friday' off of YouTube?

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
I don't have anything against the girl herself as a person, but I find her music so bad...

So Bad that it's Good... but then it gets worse and becomes So Bad it's Horrible...

Most of the time, that the end of the line with terrible things in the media; it's naff, hilariously naff or just downright atrocious.

"Friday" descends so far into atrocious that it enters some kind of quantum state back into funny at the same time. It's like a modern day freak has moved on from Reality TV onto poor sods like Rebecca Black.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
She is bad and she should feel bad.
She shouldn't be threatened with death, but people on youtube are gonna be cunts. That's the way of the world.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
gamerguy473 said:
lacktheknack said:
gamerguy473 said:
Stop projecting.

If she's so talented, and confident with her talent, why did she delete 'Friday' off of YouTube?
Because she's VERY VERY aware that people hate her.

It doesn't matter how confident you are, when you have the most mocked video in the world starring you, you don't want it out there. She kept it up as long as she did because of ad revenue.

Besides, you're conveniently overlooking the fact that Ark Music offered to take it down, and she REFUSED. And then left it up for another five or six months. Clearly, she's more confident than you imagined.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
gamerguy473 said:
If I recall, it was removed because of a dispute between the Ark Music Factory (The company that Rebecca's parents paid to make the song and video) and Youtube. Something about them wanting the scrounge a ton of cash from advertising or some crap.

Nothing to do with Rebecca.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mtc said:
Of course, most of her success is because people hate her and give her a lot of attention, but if being able to piss people off is what makes a musician these days, I think the music industry has hit that point below rock bottom.
Well, we've hit it. It's made Rebecca Black big, and it's the METHOD that Millionaires use to keep going.

Allow you to tell you about the Millionaires. They made a dumb song one day in high school by messing around in GarageBand just to see if they could. The beat wasn't good, but it wasn't awful, so the put it on YouTube for their friends to laugh at. And then BOOM, the internet hate cannon focused on them.

So they reveled in it.

Not only did their accidentally pissing off the internet launch them into an official act, it has made them surprisingly well-off. Every song they put out is a great big middle finger to everyone who hates them, and everyone keeps lapping it up, so they put out worse and worse lyrical content (the music itself has gotten pretty good). Each new song they release is a success.

Welcome to hell.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
gamerguy473 said:
lacktheknack said:
gamerguy473 said:
Stop projecting.

Because she's VERY VERY aware that people hate her.

It doesn't matter how confident you are, when you have the most mocked video in the world starring you, you don't want it out there. She kept it up as long as she did because of ad revenue.

Besides, you're conveniently overlooking the fact that Ark Music offered to take it down, and she REFUSED. And then left it up for another five or six months. Clearly, she's more confident than you imagined.
When you have a video with 400 million views, and over 97% dislikes, its pretty fair to say that the general consensus is that you have no talent. And until anyone can show me proof to the contrary, I will keep arguing about it.
And even if she was a good singer, the video and the song were horrible.
The lyrics were awful ("Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal?!?!? Seriously?)
The props were poorly made (Like that giant crappy bus stop sign) and the actors were way too cheesy.
And the rest of the song as a whole was gimmicky and stupid. And why was there a random rap in the middle of it?

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Idocreating said:
gamerguy473 said:
If I recall, it was removed because of a dispute between the Ark Music Factory (The company that Rebecca's parents paid to make the song and video) and Youtube. Something about them wanting the scrounge a ton of cash from advertising or some crap.

Nothing to do with Rebecca.
Thank you for that. (That was genuine, not sarcasm)
It shows how oblivious she really was to how much people hated her and her music.

Aranialis

Oct 24, 2009
I don't hate her in the slightest, it would be stupid to do so. But I do not even bother acknowledge her existence, not out of dislike, anger for her or her music. I simply don't care.

Hate is usually seen as a close counterpart of love, and for what I know, love is a action that requires dedication, as is hate. Thus if something is bad and uninteresting, Like Rebecca's "friday", its as dumb to put effort and dedication to loving it as is to hate it. Simply put its not worth the damn attention.

So on topic. Why all the hate? Well, lack of vision, or understanding of what hate is? Or maybe, like a very good punk rock band once said in one of their songs... "Its cool to hate".

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Just for the record, I really like the Friday song.
And I am a Professor of Music History (meaning I have a PhD in Musicology) specializing in Popular Music (Blues, Jazz, Hip Hop, Punk, New Wave, Pop, you name it)--though, of course, I also am versed art music as well. It is my job to think about, analyze, research, teach, and write about music. I do it constantly. And I still love the Friday song.

I especially love to sing the song to my little nephews who are 2 and 4. They love to dance around to the song chanting "Fun, fun, fun, fun" and also "Friday, Friday, doo doo doo doo Friday."

I actually like Friday better than her newer song.

Oh, and I don't think it is cool to bully a 13 year old.