Why all the hate when I say I don't like the Beatles?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
OT: I also don't see how the Beatles are considered Rock n Roll, what happened to Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll? Rock used to be about trannies with giant hair and switchblades and motorbikes.
Actually, Rock and Roll used to be Black men who were sad and sang their problems to the world in really low, raspy voices. ;P

Anyway, its probably cuase the beatles were so influencial in the American culture. I mean, yeah, they werent that great if you compare them to fad bands today (Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga, oh yeah, i did just do that), but they were new, and this was something you didnt do in the US. So they opened a whole new door to the musical world, and its that influence today that gives us bands like The Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, um... Metallica.

They opened the US up, and just had some timeless songs that are always good.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Ignore those stupid people that you hang around with. They just can't get that people have different tastes.

Dezmond

Nov 13, 2010
I'm a fan of The Beatles and in know way does it bother me if people dislike or even hate them. Favourite bands, best songs etc have always been subjective. Your "friends" are just weird and being silly.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
LarenzoAOG said:
OT: I also don't see how the Beatles are considered Rock n Roll, what happened to Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll? Rock used to be about trannies with giant hair and switchblades and motorbikes.
Actually, Rock and Roll used to be Black men who were sad and sang their problems to the world in really low, raspy voices. ;P

Anyway, its probably cuase the beatles were so influencial in the American culture. I mean, yeah, they werent that great if you compare them to fad bands today (Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga, oh yeah, i did just do that), but they were new, and this was something you didnt do in the US. So they opened a whole new door to the musical world, and its that influence today that gives us bands like The Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, um... Metallica.

They opened the US up, and just had some timeless songs that are always good.
I know where Rock came from, amd I actually really like alot of 50's rock, but to me Rock will always be the Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll style of Rock I listened to as a kid, the Beatles just never hit my soft spot, even when they were relatively new to me.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I like some of their stuff, but I'm not a huge fan.

Your friends are craaaaazzzzyy

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
Well, that';s you're preference. I dont think that Artists who are famous for their drug use should be idolized. Paints a bad image.

But then again, One of my favorite bands is AiC so if you know anyhting about them thats hypocritical.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Don't worry man...I dont care for them as well, and I get the exact same reaction from others as well...

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
what happened to Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll? Rock used to be about trannies with giant hair and switchblades and motorbikes.
FUUUUCK, I know you are quoting a stand up comedian right there but I can't remember his name. Some Korean-Irish guy.

OT: BECAUSE PEOPLE AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINIONS.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
Alright, first let me say I don't hate the Beatles, "All You Need Is Love" is one of my favorite songs, I just don't like the Beatles in general, and lately a few of my friends and a teacher are kind of being jackasses to me because I don't like the Bealtles.

First: A friend and I were making a list of our top 10 bands, when I showed him mine and he saw the Beatles weren't on the list he immediatley erased The Rolling Stones from the #1 position and wrote "THE BEATLES!!!!" just like that and he hasn't talked to me in a few days.

Second: A lady-friend of mine heard from my list-changing friend that I didn't like them and she started acting like I was a retard, she actually said "Who do you think you are? The Beatles are the greatest band in the world and you ought to know that,".

Third: When I told a teacher of mine (at another time and school) that I didn't like the Beatles she got this shocked look on her face like I had just told her Father Christmas just broke into her house and stole all her jewelry, she was litterally speechless for about a minute.

So, Beatles fans, are you all this insane? Are my two friends and the one teacher just wierdos?

You know what you should do? Go to the John Lennon memorial thing this year, scream in the crowed "I AM NOT A BEATLES FAN!" and see how long it takes before you get killed.

XD lolz jk, but it would be fun.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Always_Remain said:
LarenzoAOG said:
what happened to Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll? Rock used to be about trannies with giant hair and switchblades and motorbikes.
FUUUUCK, I know you are quoting a stand up comedian right there but I can't remember his name. Some Korean-Irish guy.

OT: BECAUSE PEOPLE AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINIONS.
Steve Byrne, the comment still applies though, I thought he put it quite well.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I do love a lot of Beatles songs, but I don't worship the band. I think I could be considered a Beatles fan. I even loved playing The Beatles: Rock Band.

But do I get angry at people who prefer the Rolling Stones? Do I get angry when people cite the 80's glam rock maxim of Sex, Drugs, and Rock'n'Roll when talking about a band from the 60s? No. Those who ostracize you are being stupid... but you might wanna brush up on your rock'n'roll history before going to bat for your tastes.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
I think reactions are a little ridiculous. Although I can appreciate everything they've contributed to music, I like only a handful of songs from them and they would never make my top 10 much less my top 20. I don't have bad taste, I merely have different taste. There have been decades worth of artists since them, how is it I can't like them more then The Beatles? I dunno. I with you bro.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
Second: A lady-friend of mine heard from my list-changing friend that I didn't like them and she started acting like I was a retard, she actually said "Who do you think you are? The Beatles are the greatest band in the world and you ought to know that,"
Here, I'll try to make you feel better. My uncle once nearly got into a bar brawl because he was cheering for a golfer other then Tiger Woods (how DARE anyone play against him!) and some woman had basically the same exchange as above over it, only to have the whole "Tiger's Wood Scandal" break two weeks later.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
loc978 said:
I do love a lot of Beatles songs, but I don't worship the band. I think I could be considered a Beatles fan. I even loved playing The Beatles: Rock Band.

But do I get angry at people who prefer the Rolling Stones? Do I get angry when people cite the 80's glam rock maxim of Sex, Drugs, and Rock'n'Roll when talking about a band from the 60s? No. Those who ostracize you are being stupid... but you might wanna brush up on your rock'n'roll history before going to bat for your tastes.
I know the Rolling Stones didn't start out in the 80's, 80's glam rock and hair metal was the first taste of rock and roll I got as a child, since that time I've discovered that I rather like the Rolling Stones and they have since become my favorite band, I wasn't refering to the Stones as an 80's band, however.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
lacktheknack said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Second: A lady-friend of mine heard from my list-changing friend that I didn't like them and she started acting like I was a retard, she actually said "Who do you think you are? The Beatles are the greatest band in the world and you ought to know that,"
Here, I'll try to make you feel better. My uncle once nearly got into a bar brawl because he was cheering for a golfer other then Tiger Woods (how DARE anyone play against him!) and some woman had basically the same exchange as above over it, only to have the whole "Tiger's Wood Scandal" break two weeks later.
That my friend, is funny.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I usually get told that I should like the Beatles simply because of how influential they were, to which I usually respond "Hitler was a very influential figure in history, does that mean I should like him?". Usually gets them to back off.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Grilled Cheesus said:
To be fair, before anyone accuses me of being up on my high horse, I do the same to others when they say they do not like bacon... I mean, come on. How the fuck do you not like bacon? It just boggles the mind!
Are you kidding me?! That doesn't knock you off your high horse. If you don't like bacon, you are broken and unfixable. Bacon goes with EVERYTHING. Even other bacon. (seriously, this summer we discovered bacon wrapped bacon...regular bacon wrapped around peameal bacon)

Before I get accused of derailing the thread, I enjoy Eleanor Rigby. That is all.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
loc978 said:

I know the Rolling Stones didn't start out in the 80's, 80's glam rock and hair metal was the first taste of rock and roll I got as a child, since that time I've discovered that I rather like the Rolling Stones and they have since become my favorite band, I wasn't refering to the Stones as an 80's band, however.
Not my point, and I didn't mean to insinuate anything except that the concept of Sex, Drugs, and Rock'n'Roll as you mentioned it is a concept that originated in the 80s glam rock scene (though the switchblades and motorbikes are actually unrelated to that, and are from the 50s greaser scene). My mention of the Rolling Stones is completely unrelated to that, and has to do with the old rivalry between Beatles fans and Stones fans.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Because the stuff *I* grew up with is inherently better than the stuff *you* grew up with (You poor thing) -OR- our generation is shit and our media will never amount to the stuff shat out by the gods of yesteryear?