Why are Americans so Patriotic?

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Russirishican said:
Well if I insulted the Queen of England I'd be rugby tackled by every bobby in London while being forced to eat rotten fish and chips.

Similarly to how British go nuts over a person who is essentially a figure head and has almost no political control over her country, we go nuts over a place that honestly isn't very nice anymore.

Really the only difference is that we're patriotic about the nation as a whole and British people are patriotic about one person.
Of course British people are only an example but they are always the first ones to go on about it.
As a brit (now living in Australia since 3 years) I'd say you have that very very wrong. I don't think I know or have ever known a single person who I suspect would get angry if someone insulted the Queen. The idea doesn't compute with me because I think to the average brit, including myself, the notion of getting worked up over that is laughable.

To most of us she is just a rich old lady who really has no purpose and no need to be in her position.

Likewise, I don't know many brits who would get angry if you insulted our country, you'd probably find the vast majority of responses would range from "I can understand why you think that way, but I like it here" to "I know, its shit isn't it?" In fact, ALL the people I have talked to back in the UK, on the phone or facebook, have said they are jealous of me moving over here to some extent; and I know many people over there who can't wait to get out of there.

Just thought i'd clear that up for you, whatever your views on patriotism, one thing I can say with certainty from living there for 19 years is that the UK has nowhere near the level of patriotism that the USA has, even less towards the Queen. Personally I don't think many other countries do either, but whether that's a good or bad thing depends on peoples views. Frankly, I have nothing to be patriotic about. I couldn't be happier to get out of the UK, that shithole of a country. Australia is my home now and its better than the place I was born in almost every way when it comes to everyday life. Except prices of games and the shitty internet connections.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I pledge allegience,
To the flag,
Of the United States of America.
And to the republic,
For which it stands.
One nation,
Under God.
Indivisible.
With liberty,
And justice,
For all.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
nikki191 said:
Im australian and visited the US a few years ago. a friend gave me a present before i went and it was just a little australian flag thing to hang off my backpack. tacky i know but still the thought was there. walking down the street in upstate NY i was yelled at by a total stranger "how dare you not have the american flag on your bag, this is the usa !, if you dont like it then leave". in general i did find it strange seeing american flags in almost every single place i went, the slogans and jingoism was scary in the slightest and heaven help you if you happened to mention another country does something better because the american way is the best and only way to do things.

i honestly thought it was just a stereotype but ive seen it with my own eyes and its a scary thing and dangerous as well
I can nigh on guarantee, that if you did the same thing with the American flag in Australia you would get roughly the same experience.

Source: I live in Australia.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
It's something that is strongly pushed in the American culture/society. Patriotic people do whatever their 'country' tells them to do. They also have a bad habit of not questioning their government and disregarding logic in any argument regarding it.

Which is perfect when you need people to give there live to a cause that any logical/moralistic person would be revolted by (recent wars etc).

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Furioso said:
interspark said:
Furioso said:
What's wrong with having pride in your country? If you love where you live you should defend it, I'm not saying beat the tar out of anyone who dislikes America or anything but when did liking where you live become a bad thing?
i didn't say it was a bad thing, standing on top of a street lamp and singing "twinkle twinkle little star" isn't a bad thing but that doesn't mean people won't wonder why you're doing it
No that would be a very weird thing to do, how is liking where you live a weird thing?
it's not, if you have a reason to like it besides, "it's where i live" i'd consider it weird if anyone particularly liked england, because it's cold, dull, overrun by chavs and punks and has next to no culture or interesting history, if you've got a reason to like your country then then sure, like it, but if you only like it because it's where you live then i'd consider that a little strange

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Well I'm English but I have a guess. My guess would be that because they fought for their independence, rights and such that they then hold them as so much more important.
Also the way that colonization was was originally lead by by their religious belief that God wanted them to go and colonize the rest of the landmass(I can't remember the term used for it), and considering how they hold religion it is then not surprising they hold their land in equal esteem.
Generally it's just drilled into them since their young.

Also that they are quite closed off, with mainly only their television, not being able to enjoy things when it has none American accents. This can be seen in how they created American versions of The Office and Top Gear even though they could just watch the English version.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
interspark said:
it's generally believed that if you badmouth america, any nearby americans will go up in arms and get very angry, and i'm just wondering why.
So, By this logic and this really is not a far jump, If I talk about your sister or your house, She's a whore or its a wreck...and say even if she is or even if it is...you think its bad to get defensive?

Even if this isn't a very great way of putting it, it still makes sense. Call someone's home a piece of shit and call them a loud gun toting dumbass who cant tell his ass from his elbow. You might piss someone off a little bit.

Call a European's favorite futbool(is that right)team a buch of sissy's...see what happens

It's called standing up for your home and where you grew up, you don't have to like the place, but its home.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
If your home is a wreck, standing up for it doesn't change that fact.

And I wouldn't comment on something being a wreck unless it really WAS a wreck, and I was ASKED whether or not it's a wreck.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
direkiller said:
trollnystan said:
direkiller said:
the under god part is somewhat funny:
During the cold war Americans believed that the Russian government was telling its people that the government was equal to the religion. So basically its a way of saying that the government will not oppress your religions views like those darn Communist.
Really? I thought it was Christian lobbyists that got that put in. (link to wikipedia)

Where did you hear your version? Just curious =)
one of those old propaganda PSA oddly enough
sorry cant find it for you as the name escapes me and youtube side links are not helping
That's all right, I was just curious =) Besides, I heard my version in a documentary the name of which escapes me... Turns out we're both right btw - found other links that explained it more.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Gudrests said:
interspark said:
it's generally believed that if you badmouth america, any nearby americans will go up in arms and get very angry, and i'm just wondering why.
So, By this logic and this really is not a far jump, If I talk about your sister or your house, She's a whore or its a wreck...and say even if she is or even if it is...you think its bad to get defensive?

Even if this isn't a very great way of putting it, it still makes sense. Call someone's home a piece of shit and call them a loud gun toting dumbass who cant tell his ass from his elbow. You might piss someone off a little bit.

Call a European's favorite futbool(is that right)team a buch of sissy's...see what happens

It's called standing up for your home and where you grew up, you don't have to like the place, but its home.
that's completely different, your family and your home are things you should be personally proud of, your home country is something you have no control over, and it's a generally accepted fact that americans are MORE patriotic than brits! remember that scene in Borat where he badmouths america through song and everyone boos and starts throwing stuff? if he did that in england then the worst he'd have gotten was dirty looks, who knows? people may even have gotten a laugh out of it

(it's spelt "football")

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
America is sickly Patriotic because it's a very militaristic race. They revolve around their military lineage. and are proud of it. And rightly so, it's a pretty good military I guess. And that entire military philosophy breeds the need for patriotism.

Being a Brit, it's easy to see how everything they do has a really military vibe to it. But I wouldn't say America is alone in the patriotism thing.

Britain has long lost it's patriotism from a process that started some time in the late 70's, due to lack of faith in the government. France is the same deal. It too used to be a proud militaristic nation, that had a pretty glorious and impressive army. Like or hate France, or the whole Simpson's induced stereotype about them surrendering all the time, France has had a much, MUCH more impressive military lineage than America ever has. The French military was a cause for their Imperial pride, and that has since been lost, due to the obvious WWII, and their government.

China... China is patriotic... Or else.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
:I

The cast of Metal Gear Solid is rolling around in their graves.

Patriotism does not mean believing in your government, it means believing in your country. One should always be patriotic, and to help your country thrive to be a better place and to do great things. If you're so cynical a fuckwad, (and believe me, I'm a pretty cynical fuckwad, myself), that you can't appreciate your home, then GTFO.

I speak especially to fellow Americans who complain about some of the most inane bullshit.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Draech said:
Spartan1362 said:
nikki191 said:
Im australian and visited the US a few years ago. a friend gave me a present before i went and it was just a little australian flag thing to hang off my backpack. tacky i know but still the thought was there. walking down the street in upstate NY i was yelled at by a total stranger "how dare you not have the american flag on your bag, this is the usa !, if you dont like it then leave". in general i did find it strange seeing american flags in almost every single place i went, the slogans and jingoism was scary in the slightest and heaven help you if you happened to mention another country does something better because the american way is the best and only way to do things.

i honestly thought it was just a stereotype but ive seen it with my own eyes and its a scary thing and dangerous as well
I can nigh on guarantee, that if you did the same thing with the American flag in Australia you would get roughly the same experience.

Source: I live in Australia.
The patriot loves his country. The nationalist hates every other country. What category do you think that episode falls into?
This one is wise.

Deadpool062

Jul 9, 2008
I'm an American. I am NOT patriotic. Right now our country is in the toilet. I have no problem with any European countries, and I've never been there so it's really not my place to judge anyone from them. The only source of discomfort from England is when I am in a lobby and the only insult screamed at me from a 10 year old kid is "STUPID AMERICAN!".

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
They're just generally annoyingly enthusiastic whereas by comparison us english are quite pessimistic so it's just basically polar opposites as opposed to one being genuinely stupidly patriotic.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
CulixCupric said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
I guess Americans are patriotic because we feels as though we need to be an 'example' to the world. Pretty egotistical, I know, but then again, that's not always a bad thing.
if egotistical isn't a bad thing, then why is pride considered a sin?

disclaimer: i am agnostic, i merely study theism.
It's considered a sin because it can drive some people that are full of a deadly sin (pride, sloth, gluttony, lust, greed, wrath, & envy) to do terrible things in the name of that sin. Prideful nations have been driven to the most heinous acts towards humanity and the world. Americans have taken a lot of heat as they were considered the most powerful nation in the world for a while, which only added more fuel to the pride flame.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It is an unfair stereotype.
I imagine there wouldn't be quite so much unrest and apathy among the general populace if we (I'm American) were that patriotic.

Kirke

Apr 3, 2011
I am not patriotic about my country, I am patriotic about my home town and my district. Quite honestly I wouldn't feel bad about a city state of Göteborg.