Why are comic book fans so anal about super hero movies?

ExodusinFlames

Apr 19, 2009
sauerkraus said:
We thought the movie would be the worst ever, so it exceeded expectations by just being very bad. And How would you like a movie about Halo having.... Master chief as a woman, and the covenant replaced with Vulcans or some star Trek S**T
I'd pay to see something that terrible.

sauerkraus

Mar 24, 2009
ExodusinFlames said:
sauerkraus said:
We thought the movie would be the worst ever, so it exceeded expectations by just being very bad. And How would you like a movie about Halo having.... Master chief as a woman, and the covenant replaced with Vulcans or some star Trek S**T
I'd pay to see something that terrible.
As would I. Then I would rant about how much it sucked, whilst thoroughly enjoying the lesbian scene.

Tsuki Tanaka

Sep 3, 2008
Arsen said:
I am hearing two completely different reviews of the new Wolverine movie.

One side is going on and on about how it isn't faithful to the original story, Deadpool isn't done the right way, the action is campy, and on and on...

Yet I equally hear from veteran comic book fans that the movie exceeded their expectations.

I am unsure who to believe. Nonetheless I must pose the question: WHY are comic book fans so anal? I mean look at the Lord of the Rings movies. The fans of the books KNOW Tom Bombadil and so many others things were removed from the original story, yet most people tend to accept the movies. Why superhero movies never get this same respect is beyond me...

Anywho, your thoughts please.

I find it strange how you've decided to single out "comic book fans" in this thread, when, really, this should apply to anything that gets adapted to an onscreen movie film.

jim_doki said:
the problem is, and has always been, that people hold things like their favorite superheroes and characters very close to their heart, to the point where they think they own them. When someone messes up something you own and love, its hard not to take it personally
This statement holds a lot of truth, and pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The point is, anything that's adapted - be it comic book, novel, or otherwise - will have a fanbase that gets downright pissy about the innacuracies and adulteration of the original.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Why are comic book fans so anal about super hero movies? (Because comic book fans are anal)

They're fans, not creators, so in their heads they always have different ideas about what it is and what it should be. They?re excellent at analysis but I think if they spent some more time creating and not interpreting they'd discover how difficult it is to create anything and would probably be a bit more lenient. When people complain I sometimes ask how they would have portrayed it differently and still had it work as a film. Every answer I?ve ever been given fixes the problem they perceive but only creates new flaws in the story.

Fans tend to accept the characters for who they are, they?re already ?on side?. They forget films (a populist media) are trying to appeal to people who don?t already love the characters. People who are not so willing to accept claws coming out of fists or any type of ?super? power. It?s a really difficult thing to do - to create a superhero film.

To understand the problems consider trying to create a fashion show and having it appeal to fashionistas and comic book fans at the same time.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
floppylobster said:
Why are comic book fans so anal about super hero movies? (Because comic book fans are anal)

They're fans, not creators, so in their heads they always have different ideas about what it is and what it should be. They?re excellent at analysis but I think if they spent some more time creating and not interpreting they'd discover how difficult it is to create anything and would probably be a bit more lenient. When people complain I sometimes ask how they would have portrayed it differently and still had it work as a film. Every answer I?ve ever been given fixes the problem they perceive but only creates new flaws in the story.

Fans tend to accept the characters for who they are, they?re already ?on side?. They forget films (a populist media) are trying to appeal to people who don?t already love the characters. People who are not so willing to accept claws coming out of fists or any type of ?super? power. It?s a really difficult thing to do - to create a superhero film.

To understand the problems consider trying to create a fashion show and having it appeal to fashionistas and comic book fans at the same time.
And I am sure the creators are happy when their works get regurgitated for film.......

I don;t mind them changing it a bit to keep up with the times but some of the stuff they pull is just pure BS, funny thing about sheep as long as it has sex or violence they will be happy to watch it.... so one dose not have to make horrible films to make money just slightly horrible ones... LOL

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Broken Wings said:
It's because Hollywood has a terrible habit of destroying the things we love so they can dumb it down for peoples 5 year old shit spawns.
More like 50 years of mindless consumerism has made people dumb and intolerant of thinking....

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Arsen said:
I am unsure who to believe. Nonetheless I must pose the question: WHY are comic book fans so anal? I mean look at the Lord of the Rings movies. The fans of the books KNOW Tom Bombadil and so many others things were removed from the original story, yet most people tend to accept the movies. Why superhero movies never get this same respect is beyond me...
Are you kidding me? I've run across quite a few people who HATED the Lord of the Rings movies--called them "juvenile" and had numerous nasty words for Peter Jackson.

It all boils down to what particular aspect of whatever-it-is people most love/identify with and whether that made it into the movie or not. In my case, I love the Lord of the Rings movies because it took Tolkien's wandering prose and turned it into a properly epic story. I'm a Big Picture person, I don't care so much about niggling little details if the Main Stuff is done well. Other people got upset because their favorite characters were mangled or whatever.

On the other hand, I didn't particularly enjoy the Watchmen movie because the tiny details were done with scrupulous precision but the whole thing didn't come together very well. So, if you're trying to get a decent review of Wolverine, find someone who likes THE SAME THINGS YOU LIKE and ask their opinion.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JMeganSnow said:
Arsen said:
Are you kidding me? I've run across quite a few people who HATED the Lord of the Rings movies--called them "juvenile" and had numerous nasty words for Peter Jackson.

It all boils down to what particular aspect of whatever-it-is people most love/identify with and whether that made it into the movie or not. In my case, I love the Lord of the Rings movies because it took Tolkien's wandering prose and turned it into a properly epic story. I'm a Big Picture person, I don't care so much about niggling little details if the Main Stuff is done well. Other people got upset because their favorite characters were mangled or whatever.

On the other hand, I didn't particularly enjoy the Watchmen movie because the tiny details were done with scrupulous precision but the whole thing didn't come together very well. So, if you're trying to get a decent review of Wolverine, find someone who likes THE SAME THINGS YOU LIKE and ask their opinion.
LOTR is condensed and simplified leaving a decent action/lite drama film series in its wake, not many can pull it off.

Watchmen is good to ok sure it could have been better IE more action but they had alot to do in such little time.

I can even respect the qaulity that's in the 3 Xmen films I might hate the style/aesthetics/feel and what they did with the characters but at least there is some form of quality there.

Some films have no qaulity,wit or appeasing style.(coughbladecough)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Broken Wings said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Broken Wings said:
It's because Hollywood has a terrible habit of destroying the things we love so they can dumb it down for peoples 5 year old shit spawns.
More like 50 years of mindless consumerism has made people dumb and intolerant of thinking....
Exactly...I think.
Let me see..what am I on about with that one....

Sheep are mostly happy with anythign they are given look at the qaulity in gaming and film,ect Corporations have made it an art to simplify not only the product but production as well which in turns simplifies the product more and as they move to produce stuff they see that nearly anything sells so maintaining a decorum of quality is not needed since every other product rakes in profit they don't have to worry around the random one that fails only mar/black list its franchise or genre as being unprofitable.....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Back to my Ghost rider rant, I did not mind them merging Blaze and Ketch and doing away with the medallion or Kale, it was how they did the villains that completely decimated it...
POP posh metrosexaul vampires do not belong anywhere near ghost rider.......send them back over to Blade.....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Schnippshly said:
I think super heroes are totally gay. Because they have super powers because I have to think about powers being in conflict. Lame.

But not Conan the Barbarian, and he's from Marvel. I love Conan the Barbarian because he has muscles , and neither do most of the people he meets but those mages. And all he does every comic is drink, have sex and kill people. I like that because I don't have to think.

I read a Conan-Wolverine crossover comic, And all he does every comic is drink, have sex and kill people.
First off fixed for greater truth
0_o

Conan is a muscled ape...only without the fur and he has a sword...but not the plaent destroying powers of other hairless apes...*rim shot* ........yes.....bad I know....

And for your use of gay as a diss, you are twice gay than superman.
*rolls eyes*

ZOMG!!! attempt at humor FAIL!!!!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Most fans don't want the characters and story destroyed or dumbed down so a bunch of idiots with snotty-nosed six year olds can enjoy it while their kids wail like banshees.
You win the Internet.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
They're fanboys of course. They are banal about pretty much everything.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure its because they don't want to feel like I felt when watching DragonBall Evolution.... poor poor Goku.

dantheman931

Dec 25, 2008
It has to do with how much respect the filmmakers have for the source material, too. I liked the first two X-Men movies partly because Bryan Singer had enough sense to not put a mask on Wolverine--maybe it wasn't strictly "faithful" to the original, but it would have looked ridiculous in live action, so he made that sacrifice to protect the integrity of the story. (The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are another example of why you should treat the source material with respect.) Contrast with Spider-Man 3, where they tried to cram too much stuff into one movie to sell toys and ended up with a gigantic clusterfuck. (Plus, Venom loses all of his menace when he's got Topher Grace's voice, don't you think?) I didn't like Ghost Rider either, because the casting was all wrong and the story was retarded.

But yeah, some of it's just comic fans being anal too. It really doesn't change Spider-Man's character if he grows web-glands instead of building web shooters; in fact, it actually makes more sense that way when you think about it. Pretty much the one thing that defines spiders is their webs, so why wouldn't he be able to spin webs too?

Also, for your reading pleasure: http://www.cracked.com/article_15080_6-most-absurd-moments-from-superhero-movies.html and http://www.cracked.com/article_15709_8-most-cringe-worthy-comic-book-movie-moments.html

MannyDon

May 4, 2009
I've been reading Wolverine and X-men comics for a pretty long time now (20 years give or take) I have an almost complete collection of Wolverines solo series and his original mini series (the prise of my collection and still the best Wolverine story written imo).So I guess I can safely label my self a fan boy.

And I liked the movie! sure things were changed moved around or a bit silly (Deadpool...lol) but when you try and squeeze a body of work spanning decades with so many contributors to the overall story Barry Windsor Smith, Chris Clairmont, Larry Hama are just some whos work I recognized there is more but I cant be bothered looking them up you are going to lose something in translation especially when you try and squeeze that down into a 90+ min feature.

I,m by no means saying it was the best movie ever or could not have been done better but it was what it was and In my opinion its was cool. It didn't come off as a kids movie to me but then I don't need bucket loads of blood limbs and organs flying across the screen to enjoy an action movie even if the main protagonist has three razor sharp claws poking out of each hand.

And at the end of the day thats what I saw it as a descent action movie with some good fights and a story I was somewhat familiar with.

P.S. I really liked Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth.

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
iJosh said:
They're fanboys of course. They are banal about pretty much everything.
This is the funniest typo I've seen all day. Accidental kudos!