Why are gamers so cheap? Should games cost more?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Because most games are short and not worth the price.
Because some games require online/have limited installs.
Because the publishers are always taking out piracy out on actual customers.

I really have no interest in paying for problems that are not my own, especially to a multibillion dollar industry. It's like feeling bad for a millionaire who had a break-in and someone took the contents of his fridge.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
MetalDooley said:
To be honest the Industry only has themselves to blame.Games have always been expensive.I remember paying around IR£40 for NES games 20 years ago which is roughly what I pay for games these days(IR£40 = ?50 roughly).Yet NES games were nowhere near as expensive to produce compared to modern games so it's pretty obvious that games were overpriced for a long time.Because games have always been seen as expensive there is no way the industry could significantly increase the price without turning off a lot of customers.If games back then had been reasonably priced,say £10-£15 each which is all a lot of them were worth,then the industry probably would have gotten away with increasing the price each gen leading to a scenario today where we would be paying more for games than we currently are

As an aside anyone remember the Neo Geo?Anyone know someone who actually owned one?Games for the Neo Geo averaged around $100 and yet apart from slightly better graphics they weren't a huge improvement on what was available at the time so the idea that increased price=increased quality isn't necessarily true.Plus I think it proved that people simply aren't willing to pay that much for games
Two words: Cartridge manufacturing. During the cartridge era, games were expensive because the unit price on the cartridges was high; it took a whole lot of money simply to manufacture the cartridge, let alone to actually develop the game. However, once the switch was made to CD-ROMs, the unit price went way, way down. They've been ripping us off ever since the PS1 came out and the games were standardized at $40. The gradual price increases were calculated so that gamers would accept it as inflation, but the truth is that it's nothing but additional profit.

Finally, I'm going to refer everyone to the post below. Treblaine is one of the few people in this thread who apparently understands basic economics.

Treblaine said:
Sabiancym said:
If big games were $80, the quality and depth would skyrocket.
No, each game may cost 33% more but sales would easily fall by more than 25% because that is such an unaffordable price, so the publishers would make LESS money!

How filthy rich are you that you can blow $100 just like that?!? What if the game is shit? What if you bought a different game than your friend, what you want to buy more than 1 or 2 games per year!

Movies consistently cost MORE than games to make yet they break even with cheaper ticket and DVD prices... how? By selling to MORE PEOPLE!!

Perfect example that utterly DECIMATES your flawed logic is Steam, how much money Valves makes from their massive sales:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22378

"When Valve held its recent holiday sale, titles discounted by 10 percent (the minimum) they saw revenue (not unit) increases of 35 percent. At a 25 percent discount, revenue was up 245 percent.

At 50 percent off, revenue was up 320 percent, and at a 75 percent discount, revenue was up an astonishing 1470 percent. Newell stressed again that those revenue boosts represent actual revenue dollars, and not unit volumes."

Can you comprehend a 1470% increase in MONEY! Not units, but cold hard CASH! That is over FIFTEEN TIMES AS MUCH! This means

[HEADING=2]

Sell a good game for $40 = make $150'000

Sell the same game for $10 = make $2'250'000 !!!![/HEADING]

Now PC games are ALREADY cheaper than Console games due to lack of platform licensing fee, but this clearly shows that developers make more money by selling their games CHEAPER!

It is GRADE SCHOOL LOGIC that you make more money by selling unlimited luxury services at a higher price. Set the price too high and people will. not. buy.

I'm never have paid $100 for Team Fortress 2, who the hell would!?!? It is just one game, what if it turns out to have no lasting appeal?

Pile it high, sell it cheap: make billions

Milk each user for every dollar: fail as a company

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Why am I a "cheap" gamer?

I dont make a helluva lot of freakin money

When I drop $60 on a game and its only worth 6-8h on the story and Im supposed to be hooked on the Multiplayer...is stupid...

I justify games I drop a decent price on by if it hooks me...for the longest time I played Fable 2 (then 3) Oblivion and Fallout 3. Why?

Because I knew I would get the most bang for my buck and a continued bang for DLC that was well worth it (I had all the DLC for these games as the prices @ Gamestop slid below the original pricetag)

Price of gas doesnt help at all...and I guess the pompous people that make games dont get to see that when certain whiner studios already know they can shit gold and still make 3-4x what it took to make it!

The price needs to come down....$50 seems fair...means every 2 games you buy its $100

Flawed Logic + Flawed Arguement

Sick of blowing $60 on something that looks kickass and fun and getting bland and boring...

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Sabiancym said:
This isn't a troll post to insult anyone, it's a genuine interest into why as a group, gamers tend to be very cheap when it comes to the cost of games and gaming equipment.

When console games went from $50 to $60, you had petitions, swearing off gaming, and people who actually sold their consoles simply because they had to pay an extra $10.

So why is this? The average gamer age is high twenties to low thirties depending on which study you look at, so they should have enough money to drop on gaming, yet all I ever see are posts about people waiting to buy something until it's in the bargain bin. Or people demanding a game company reimburse them for some minor thing that really doesn't even effect their experience.

I'm not saying being economically aware is a bad thing, but I just wonder what this industry would be like if gamers were a bit more willing to spend. If big games were $80, the quality and depth would skyrocket. These developers would have more money to invest into technology and developers and that equals a better product.
Well, to most of us, the method by which a game is created is a bit of a mystery. We know there's a lot of hullabaloo in making the story and gameplay, but I'm talking after the game itself is made, how does it make it to those wonderful round discs we generously feed into our consoles? In most people's minds, it works the same way as burning a cd; the developers have the data for the game stored neatly away, so all they have to do is burn that data onto the dvd, maybe add in whatever security that restricts it from being played on anything but the specific system it was designed for, and then sell it. I could be wrong here, but this seems to be the most logical method by which the game data makes it onto the discs we play.

In this way, the cost to make a game doesn't necessarily rise once the actual game was made. Back when consoles ran on cartridges, the cartridges were relatively expensive to create, usually demanding a surprising portion of the cost of the game. Nowadays, DVDs are cheap, and can be bought in bulk for pennies on the dollar. To add into this, most game developers are rather poor at selling their games, as, despite the all-too-easy method of production I theorized above, most games only have a production period of a couple months before they immediately cease all production and not one extra copy of the game is released. Then the only way to get said game is via Used, which, as has been said in the Used vs. New debate since the dawn of time, means that the money paid for that, however low it may be, never makes it to the developers.

In short, the reason why the price in games went up wasn't really because of some dramatic increase in depth (technology maybe, but NOT depth), but because developers needed to get profit from their games, and given how few New copies most games are expected to sell, they had to increase the price to at least make ends meet. This may be a very simple summary of an all-too-complex debate, but in my eyes it seems to be one of the most likely culprits.

As to whether or not games would "rise in quality" if we were more willing to spend, please take a look at Facebook, and more importantly, companies like Popcap and Zynga. These two developers create simple flash games and rake in millions of dollars a year, as much as most AAA developers. And yet, all they do is continue to make simple flash games. If a developer gets more money, it doesn't mean they're going to create higher-quality games. If anything, they're going to rest on their laurels, constantly dish out sequel after sequel of the same game, believing it will have the same impact and sales that the original did (For proof of this, see Square Enix and the lovely position they're currently in)

Also, let's not forget that we've been in a bit of a recession for the past few years. This sort of falls in line on both ends. It explains why the developers wanted more money for games (to make ends meet on their side) and why gamers so vehemently opposed the price hike (because so many of us just didn't/don't have that kind of extra money to throw around).

Sabiancym said:
MMOs constantly get hated on by a group of gamers, yet they are a considerably better deal if you look at the cost to gameplay hour ratio. Very few people play one non-mmo game for years. If you buy one game every 3-4 months, it's exactly the same cost as an mmo.
C/Gh ratio aside, a lot of the people who hate on MMOs do so because Subscription-based gaming didn't exist until they came along. Games were buy-once-play-forever, and when these games showed up saying "Pay us $XX, then pay us $X every month until you get sick of the game" just sort of aggravated people.

Another good reason why a lot of people may hate MMOs is because outside of having a good Cost to Gameplay hour ratio, they have a poor Quality to Gameplay hour ratio. What I mean by this is, whereas most games have Hard Modes, Time Attacks, Boss Rushes, and all sorts of things in the story mode and out that make the game more fun to play as you proceed to play it, most MMOs get less fun the longer you play it.

I mean, picture it. You just started a brand new character on an MMO you've never played, and it's great! You're leveling up every few minutes, you're getting gear like crazy, everything's super cheap so you always have money to spare, you're just having a blast. Skip ahead to about halfway through, leveling takes an hour or two now, the gear you want is just out of your price range so you need to start saving up, but you're still having fun. Now skip once more to when you hit the level cap. Most of the levels before the cap take 5-6 hours of questing, gear requires twice that much grinding to earn enough to buy it, and now you've gotten all your abilities and the only paths left are Raiding, PvP, or starting an alt, but now you know enough about the game to at least plot your route from 1-cap, and if you want to avoid the quests you did, you need to do even more plotting.

I'm not saying you're not having fun, I'm saying that MMOs, by their very nature, are games designed to suck as much money from you as possible before you get burnt out from it. And you always do get burnt out. I have never seen a person who could play an MMO in the same way they (re)play a (console) game that they own.

Sabiancym said:
DLC is constantly bashed by people not wanting to pay for extra content. Yet there are a ton of hobbies where extra things cost more. Booster packs for card games, parts for the car enthusiasts, etc.
The problem with DLC is that there are a lot of cases, or at least a lot of paranoia, that the content held within was simply held back from the release to earn a few extra bucks. There are tons of games that are released with a handful of DLC on Day One. This just doesn't seem right nor fair.

No one would deny that seeing a DLC pack a year or two after a game's release would be like a godsend, and tons of people would buy it up in a freaking heartbeat. But too many developers are using it as an underhanded means of getting money from the Used crowd, or as an incentive to buy New.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
AC10 said:
I am 24 and have a full salaried job with benefits; but that doesn't mean I want to spend $60 on every game that comes out. I personally buy tons of games but I want to save money when I can. I have a huge backlog anyways.

And really, $60 after tax is close to $70; but the reality of the situation is just because I have a salaried job doesn't mean 100% of my profits or even a large portion of it is put aside just to dump into games. I want to save for a house, I pay car insurance, gas, car repairs, internet, electricity, cell phone bills, etc.

Also, the quality of games wouldn't skyrocket if they cost $20 more; the bottom line of the publisher would skyrocket. Gamers seem to be under this myth that large devs and publishers are somehow struggling to get by; these development studios are well compensated (I have a good deal of friends who make much more than I do in the gaming industry) and these publishers are raking in quite literally a few billion or at least several hundred million dollars of revenue a year. They already have more than enough expendable revenue they could be dumping into making better quality games - but they aren't doing that because the sad truth is games right now are pretty much the top quality we can achive with our technology.

If you want better quality games, you need to force publishers like EA to have looser deadlines. For instance, when EA says "You have 18 months to make this game" the game is coming out in 18 months regardless of it's state.
/thread

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
No...
I can hardly afford them as it is...
Basically a higher price tag would make games less accessible to kids (parents who buy them for kids) and people with less income.
I mean this is school economics, right?

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
-Age doesn't equal money.

-Most games I see are far from 20+ hours, some don't have online, and some gamers(like me) don't care about multiplayer.

-DLC gets bashed because some of the time because they release it during launch(or shortly after) which makes people think it could have been in the game and they just wanted more money. Some DLC is overpriced for the amount of content. And some DLC has only unlocked content already on the disc(Happened a few times I believe).

-People pick up games in the bargain bin because we have a budget and can't afford to pick up every game that interests us at full price. And some games aren't worth it to some people to buy at full price(I just ordered Alpha Protocol for $15 so we'll see).

-If the price of games was increased to $80 I simply couldn't afford to buy half the games I get new and then I would also be more cautious with each purchase(leading to less new sales and more used sales).

-And personally, I don't think increasing the price of games will make them much better. We'd just have more expensive games to ***** about.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Maybe its because of the crap gaming companies are trying to pull now.

30-50 million development for a "AAA" title. That means at 50 dollars a copy they need to sell, 600k-1000k units worldwide, 800k on average. To put this into perspective, Modern Warfare 2 sold 20 Million Units as of June 2010 giving them 1 billion dollars in revenue. In its first week it grossed 500 Million dollars. Not only that but the game came in under budget. Yes it is a single title which did alarmingly well. Check out the data for past games though. I think you'll be surprised at the cost vs revenues.

Then there is the issue of value. Does the game contain enough content to be worth buying? The best way to do this is to break it down first into replay value. If a game has only 1 play-through worth of content (such as most JRPGs) Then their value is significantly lower as they have no replay value. 50 dollars / 50 hr = 1 $/hr; compared to a western fps with an average length of say, 7 hours, with no multiplayer or no multiplayer community. 50 dollars / 7 hours = 7.1 $/hr; compared to a typical western fps that does have good multiplayer support 50 dollars / 7+(100 or more) hours = .46 $/hr. Good multiplayer can extend the life and value of a game.

Compare those to other forms of media. Movies on opening night 10 dollars / 1.5-2.5 hours = 6-4 $/hr. Books (depending on how fast you read and the length of said book) 8-20 $ / 10-50 hr = .8-.4 $/hr.

So just as movies have problems with their attributed value over time, short games with little replay value have the same issue.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I got two child children, that why I don't like paying so much for new releases, and don't top 5 new releases a year, because LA Noire cost me 71 dollars. So 71*5, plus the gold membership plus between the 10 MSP cards a year and maybe 20 used titles....Well people get rich off me as it is. I can't a afford another hobby or habit.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Grospoliner said:
Maybe its because of the crap gaming companies are trying to pull now.

30-50 million development for a "AAA" title. That means at 50 dollars a copy they need to sell, 600k-1000k units worldwide, 800k on average. To put this into perspective, Modern Warfare 2 sold 20 Million Units as of June 2010 giving them 1 billion dollars in revenue. In its first week it grossed 500 Million dollars. Not only that but the game came in under budget. Yes it is a single title which did alarmingly well. Check out the data for past games though. I think you'll be surprised at the cost vs revenues.

Then there is the issue of value. Does the game contain enough content to be worth buying? The best way to do this is to break it down first into replay value. If a game has only 1 play-through worth of content (such as most JRPGs) Then their value is significantly lower as they have no replay value. 50 dollars / 50 hr = 1 $/hr; compared to a western fps with an average length of say, 7 hours, with no multiplayer or no multiplayer community. 50 dollars / 7 hours = 7.1 $/hr; compared to a typical western fps that does have good multiplayer support 50 dollars / 7+(100 or more) hours = .46 $/hr. Good multiplayer can extend the life and value of a game.

Compare those to other forms of media. Movies on opening night 10 dollars / 1.5-2.5 hours = 6-4 $/hr. Books (depending on how fast you read and the length of said book) 8-20 $ / 10-50 hr = .8-.4 $/hr.

So just as movies have problems with their attributed value over time, short games with little replay value have the same issue.
I disagree, I find my JRPG's are the most replayable of my collection. Actually all my RPG's titles in general I have replayed 3-10 times. I got my money's worth outta those games. imo

The Mighty Thesaurus

Lumen timeo
Feb 23, 2010
Price of games goes up
Games make more money
Developers get bigger budgets
Quality of games increases

This is your thought process, right? This is mine:

Price of games goes up
Games make more money (this is debatable, but for the sake of argument, we shall just go with it)
Developers get bigger budgets (this is also debatabe)
Risk increases along with budget
Large studios stop innovating to mitigate the increased risk
AAA games become bland and stale
People stop buying AAA games
Industry implodes
Publishers go out of business
Bobby Kotick becomes a male prostitute

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
well, as a gamer, and a consumer of games, it will always be in our best interest to try and get the best deal.

Objectively, are games fairly priced? yes. They are. but rolling over to corporations is the wrong move. We should always be trying to get the best deal for ourselves and other gamers.

Meanmoose

Jan 20, 2009
I'm Norwegian and here you'll never find a single console game priced under 90 USD at realeas so... yeah, just saying =P

thebolt

May 19, 2011
It wasn't a $10 increase...it's hundreds of dollars of increase over years of game purchases. That with the addition of DLC, gold packages, and special edition games...the developers that create the quality games, publish them, and the consoles that support them make MORE than enough money for their games. High 20 and low 30 age groups DON'T typically have butt loads of money to drop into games. The U.S. is in a recession. People are losing jobs at a rapid rate. Kids getting out of college can't get work. People are trying desperately to cut back on spending, not looking for ways to donate more money to game developers.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
average new game price in America 60$-50$ average price in australia 80$-100$ -.- also go watch http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2068-Project-Ten-Dollar may help you understand why game DEVs have to up the price

Groundchuck

Apr 16, 2011
Im not entirely sure that if games cost more it would usher in a dawn of creativity.
I do get what you are saying, but my heart does not bleed for the people making crappy games and soaking me for $60, and if i lived in Australia I would probably give up gaming all together. I don't consider myself cheap, I do buy games at release, but, the let down of some dev team shitting on a great idea, or franchise is hard enough to swallow at $60, so $100 would make me less likely to buy at all. Also how exactly can you be assured of a GOOD game that would cost more? I mean, don't they all already say that their games are the best even though 7 times out of 10 they are nothing special and boarder on aweful.