Why are MOST PC gamers full of so much hatred towards Consoles?

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Xzi said:
Simply put: consoles have caused games to be dumbed down over the generations. If I wanted to do nothing but spend twenty hours pulling a trigger to cause loud noises, I'd go to a gun range. What a concept, eh? PC gamers discovered the greatness of FPS games in the nineties. We were ready to move on ten years ago. But unfortunately, soccer moms, frat boys, and children under ten all decided to pick that time to get into gaming and ruin it for the rest of us.

But truthfully, we also just plain enjoy watching console gamers squirm when they realize the limitations of their chosen platform. Always a riot.
You do realise that consoles have been not doing FPS for a very long time too right? And that the variety of games on a console is not only massive, but genres like the sandbox and driving simulator are borderline exclusive to the format? Think of all the games last year that did not come out on PC. Most of them were not FPS.

AudienceOfOne1

Oct 22, 2010
Candidus said:
Chibz said:
Also, try to avoid saying anything less than glowingly positive about Valve (or Blizzard) in front of PC gamers. PC gamers are notorious for vicious fanboyism of these two companies. Give 'em a break, this is all they've really got left.
Actually, as a PC gamer, I'd like to take this opportunity to represent those among PC gamers who recognise what an average developer Valve is. They haven't produced a decent FPS since the original Half Life, and that's not a classic because it's not any good by the standards of today.

Steam is an invasive, fat, clunky, buggy, unwelcome squatter of an experience. The prices are ludicrous, and I resent not being able to access CD installed games like Dark Messiah without first starting up Steam. I have it installed for Dawn of War, nothing else. (£30 for Chaos Rising or £16 at Play.com on release day? What a tough decision!)

However, to say that Valve and Blizzard are all we have left is a bit vicious-console-fanboy of you. You're overlooking Stardock and Arenanet among others; on PC this year, I have to find money for Tera Online, Guild Wars 2, W40K Online, The Witcher 2, the first Civ5 expansion and Shogun 2. None of these games are coming to console and none of those games are being developed by Blizzard or Valve. Heart of the Swarm is Blizzard, but I don't mention that because I reckon that'll be a 2012 release.
Actually that sums up my thoughts quite nicely.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Candidus said:
Actually, as a PC gamer, I'd like to take this opportunity to represent those among PC gamers who recognise what an average developer Valve is. They haven't produced a decent FPS since the original Half Life, and that's not a classic because it's not any good by the standards of today.
I'd like to say thank you. I rarely see reasonable PC gamers when valve or Blizzard are brought up.

Steam is an invasive, fat, clunky, buggy, unwelcome squatter of an experience. The prices are ludicrous, and I resent not being able to access CD installed games like Dark Messiah without first starting up Steam. I have it installed for Dawn of War, nothing else. (£30 for Chaos Rising or £16 at Play.com on release day? What a tough decision!)
[/quote]

Candidus said:
However, to say that Valve and Blizzard are all we have left is a bit vicious-console-fanboy of you. You're overlooking Stardock and Arenanet among others; on PC this year, I have to find money for Tera Online, Guild Wars 2, W40K Online, The Witcher 2, the first Civ5 expansion and Shogun 2. None of these games are coming to console and none of those games are being developed by Blizzard or Valve. Heart of the Swarm is Blizzard, but I don't mention that because I reckon that'll be a 2012 release.
First of all, I'm actually not a console fanboy. If anything I'm an arcade-fanboy who is left without arcades to game in.

Guild Wars? I'm shocked people still play that, personally. It's not a great MMORPG. But then again to me "Great" and "MMORPG" are contrary terms.

Civilization hasn't been good in years. I played a couple of very recent ones and couldn't run screaming out the door fast enough. Mostly because it involves opening aforementioned door.

W40K is your one great point. It has so much potential, but the MMORPG element of the game will undoubtably ruin it.

Finally, "Heart of the Swarm"? It really is sounding more and more like it will (or should) be a starcraft game.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Most don't badmouth, it's just that those who don't mind them or enjoy both are rarely as vocal about it as they can't be arsed arguing with a bunch of loudmouths on the internet over a stupid issue and hell even you stating you like both are provoking the PC side and starting a flame war in a thread where you ask why the other side does it >.>

Personally, I prefer PC gaming by far and feel, for myself, that it is superior. I had and played consoles before, Sega/Nintendo/PS1/2, but it could never compare to the fun I have on the PC. The only thing I like about the consoles is that they're more party friendly due to ability for more controllers, but even that's meh 90% of the time unless you have a gigantic screen.

The reason I prefer my PC is mouse and keyboard. I'm sorry, but by fact alone I find them superior controllers, a mouse can hit any precise point quickly and easily and a keyboard has a multitude of easy to use keybinds which gives me a greater control and greater possibilities when gaming. And hell, even if I'm so inclined, I can stick a game controller onto my PC.

The PC is also upgradable, generally leading to better experience with games visually, assuming you can afford to keep up with the market to a point. Most importantly, while a console is geared towards gaming alone, I can do whatever the hell I want on my PC.

Now that doesn't say I hate consoles, console gamers or anything in between. I just don't like playing on them as much because I prefer my PC experience by far due to above and a lot of other reasons. The only time I get remotely hateful about them is when the developers release a console exclusive, an earlier release on consoles or a shitty console port. But I hate the developers there, not the consoles or the players who enjoy them.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Vrach said:
The reason I prefer my PC is mouse and keyboard.
This is just from my perspective, but I deeply loathe gaming using a keyboard. The keyboard is just... Awful. It's not designed for gaming and it shows. Very, very horribly. There needs to be SOME substitute for the keybard.
EUREKA, I THINK I'VE GOT IT!

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
"MOST" PC gamers is an exaggeration I feel. Most PC gamers who take part in flame wars on consoles vs PC's, yes, but not most of all PC gamers. I for one play almost exclusively on PC because the only type of game - racing - I prefer on console I don't play much. If someone prefers a console that's their business though.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Funny, the trend was that consoles DIED then the PC replaced it. However the model the consoles are using now isn't sustainable in a long term sense. In a sense consoles HAD a golden age already, in fact they had 2.
Although I must say you're wrong. PC gaming is being further and further marginalized, and console sales are only going up. I saw this before when the 'cades started shutting down in massive numbers. It's nothing new.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Xzi said:
Simply put: consoles have caused games to be dumbed down over the generations. If I wanted to do nothing but spend twenty hours pulling a trigger to cause loud noises, I'd go to a gun range. What a concept, eh? PC gamers discovered the greatness of FPS games in the nineties. We were ready to move on ten years ago. But unfortunately, soccer moms, frat boys, and children under ten all decided to pick that time to get into gaming and ruin it for the rest of us.

But truthfully, we also just plain enjoy watching console gamers squirm when they realize the limitations of their chosen platform. Always a riot.
Your opinion is noted, and I disagree. I used to be a PC gamer, and spent three solid years playing EverQuest as much as I could, and played as many shooters as I could get my hands on... but I have since switched over to consoles. I started playing Halo at a buddies house, and I was hooked. Honestly, I started my home gaming experience with a little console known as the Atari 2600 waaaaay back in the day. But ever since Halo, I do all my serious gaming on my console. I honestly only play Urban Rivals on my PC, nowadays.

Its called choice, man. Alot of people have them. :)

Sep 24, 2008
I'll break up my points for easier response if anyone cares to.

Dislike for Consoles

Community: It is true that many of us have consoles and PCs. But that is because we are old enough to afford to buy both, or at least old enough that your parents trust you to spend a lot of time on the computer. Not always, but the chances for maturity rise greatly when you deal with older people.

Again, not always the case, but I've spent enough time with the seven-nine year old screechers who just can't seem to regulate their vocal patterns, or the 14-17 year old griefers who decide that they do not care about other people's enjoyment and start to team kill or ignore the objective to ride around in cars all day... Then YOUR rank goes down because you're one person fighting five? It makes you not want to spend time there.

Yes, I know not everyone does that. But the truth of the matter is, you get burned by a stove five times, you're going to be wary of that stove for life. Added the fact that most games now pad out the experience by forcing you to go online, and it makes me shrink away from the console experience.

Note: I've been gaming on the computer for a couple of years. I can't once think of one griefing session. I was griefed my first time playing online on 360. Gave it two years before I finally said the hell with it.

Price Point: It's just cheaper to get a game that will look and run better (and if it doesn't run well, I can always take my computer apart and give it the juice to run a hell of a lot better... can't really do that with a console). Publishing and actually having a piece of hardware to hold the game on adds to the cost. Dead Rising 2 [http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=B8CA61B07D60AB97F4BCD5127FDA5FC0.bbolsp-app01-48?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-7439042152379826969&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=dead+rising+2+xbox+&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960] for the 360 still sells at 59.99 in best buy. Well, why do that when I can get the game at steam for 39.99 [http://store.steampowered.com/app/45740/]? Or even less if Steam is having one if its frequent sales?

Modding: I can't tell you how much I'm waiting for the Warpstorm over Aurelia mod for Dawn of War II. Let alone I can't even play Dawn of War II on a console makes that a double selling point.

Like for Consoles

This will be a short list. In fact, there's only one point. Consoles are better with some games than PC. I love fighting games. I love racing games. Every now and again, you'll get a port to the PC in a fighting game. I'll admit that. but comparing the two systems, it's like a puddle to a deluge. True, the fighting genre is dying anyway, but to get my fix I'll go to a console any time.

And racing on a computer feels wrong to me. don't know why.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I think you're taking the loudest minority and saying every PC Gamer is like that. With that logic, every British person is Margaret Thatcher, every American is Texan, and every gamer is a loud nerd. It's not nice to stereotype.

I started gaming on PC, and continued while I had an N64, Gamecube, and Xbox 360. I sold the 360 so now I'm exclusively a PC gamer. I think the main difference between PC and console is that gaming on PC is more competitive, more customizable, and easier to stay with one game for a while. Console gaming, on the other hand, is not customizable, everyone plays on the same level, it's more casual, and you have to buy new games all the time to keep with the crowd.

They both have their strengths. And some genres are better on PC while some are better on console. It all comes down to preference. I sold my 360 because of the Kinect and what it represents for gaming: a slow and steady shift to casual games, where we play "hit the ball with your hands!" instead of Bioshock.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Chibz said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Funny, the trend was that consoles DIED then the PC replaced it. However the model the consoles are using now isn't sustainable in a long term sense. In a sense consoles HAD a golden age already, in fact they had 2.
Although I must say you're wrong. PC gaming is being further and further marginalized, and console sales are only going up. I saw this before when the 'cades started shutting down in massive numbers. It's nothing new.
Then steam, WoW, etc are zombies then?

1. "PC IS DYING!" becomes a popular phrase in the expanding console bubble.
2. Console crash of the 80s is caused from the console bubble bursting.
3. Consoles come back. "PC IS DYING!" becomes a popular phrase again.
4. PC regains popularity and sales. Macs jump into the arena. The computer platform stronger than ever.

Let me put it to you this way. The death of the PC means the death of technical progress itself not to mention it will destroy the console market too.
Well Spoken Sir.
Very well spoken.
And I Agree - I wasn't even going to post in this thread, but this justifies it.
I could go on about my philosophy on this, but it would be too overlooked for me to put the effort in.

Congratulations on being a good point-maker.

Its typical of this type of thing to occur, but its only natural.
Its like Ice Cream.
Some people like Chocolate, some people like Strawberry, some people like Caramel, but it all comes from Vanilla. Even if you dont like Vanilla, you cant deny what it is. You can try to, but you cant have your Chocolate/Strawberry/Caramel without it. The only other option is to go for one of the much less popular known flavors that fewer people use. But no matter what, it all comes from Vanilla.

In this stance, PC = Vanilla. You cant do anything without it, and the lack of it is self condemnation.

-Chilton

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Super Toast said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Super Toast said:
Xzi said:
Super Toast said:
Consoles have simply made gaming more accessible and mainstream.
Translation: Increased the amount of money going into developers and publishers pockets, therefore increasing the quality of games with each passing year.
Fixed for you. You can thank me later.
Wow. Flawed logic. More money made does not make a better game. I can make millions selling a product but that doesn't mean i spend more money on the next product. The cheaper it is, the better it is for me. Companies don't get oodles of money on one project to spend it all on "their dream".
Explain to me then why the quality of games keeps getting higher.
From what perspective? You don't specify.
Compare Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate, or Modern Warfare to CoD2. The visuals, physics, level design, writing (in most cases) and innovation have all worked out for the better, thanks to the money made by developers and publishers. You might think there is no such thing as innovation today, but that's bunk. Minecraft is arguably the biggest, most important thing to happen to gamers in 2010, and that was an indie game. And innovation was hardly rampant five or ten years ago either. Remember the ridiculous amount of WW2 shooters and platforming games floating around at that time? I know I do.

Even less than unique games like Crysis have benefited greatly from larger budgets. Even if you're like me and despised that game, there's no denying that the CryEngine is a fantastic piece of software. It wouldn't have existed if EA and Crytek didn't have a ridiculous amount of cash to spend on it.

I hope that read out okay, I'm pretty tired. Also, sorry for the wall of text.

Spawn_Of_Kyuss

Mar 11, 2009
Krylock said:
One thing that i always did notice is that the PC gamers are usually the ones to start the whole war. It almost seems like they get enjoyment out of starting pointless arguments and debates.
The irony. Oh god, the irony.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
It because PC gamers had for the longest time built themselves up in a nice little, secure bubble where they actually were superior in most ways to any current-day console. Right around the time of N64 - PS1 Era, they sensed a looming threat to their preferred gaming system. They still had most points up on consoles, but they saw a change coming.
Believe it or not, but it's not the consoles that are the problem. It's the kind of games that consoles have resulted in that is the problem. Console games are typically aimed at the lowest common denominator with bad UI and simplified structures.

Paragon Fury said:
And then Halo 2 and the advent of Xbox Live happened. And the 2 of the 4 biggest advantages, shooters and multiplayer, suddenly got shotgunned by a man in green armor, and PC gaming started its meltdown.
Again, it's not consoles that are the problem. It's the games. Halo 2 did indeed herald a bad time. It heralded a time of bad ports, bad writing, uninspired level design, regenerating health, checkpoint based progress and bloody space marines. Though I can live with space marines.

Paragon Fury said:
It only went downhill from there; it became (and still is becoming) increasingly more profitable to develop for consoles than for PCs. And for a while it was really to get all sorts of crazy ideas for games green-lit on consoles, while PC gamers remained rather staunch in what they wanted.
What do we want? I for one want good games. That's about it. Good games are not what is most common on consoles. I do have about 30 games for PS3 and 360, but none of them are spectacular. I find myself returning to my PC when I want something awesome to play.

Where is STALKER on console? Where is Baldur's Gate 2? Where is Total War? Where is Company of Heroes? Where is Mount and Blade? Where is Galactic Civilization 2? Minecraft? Where are mods? Why are console players willing to settle for mediocrity?

Paragon Fury said:
And then another key element of PC gaming's reign got taken away from them; great stories. When things like Jade Empire, Oblivion, etc. started showing up on consoles, something that traditionally been the realm of PC gaming was again lost to consoles.
This is a joke, yes? Oblivion was a great story? If it's not a joke then it's emblematic of the lowered expectations and the aim for the lowest denominator. Oblivion is a bland and mediocre game compared to Morrowind. It's simplified, has a horrible UI, decent graphics, bad animation, bad writing, quest markers, radar and a lot of hand holding. It is the archetype of the kind of games I see as the problem with consoles.

Paragon Fury said:
And now, the final thing which PC gamers hold desperately to is becoming less and less relevant, and thats scary for them. Their technological superiority has long been the cornerstone to their arguments, but now that gap is shrinking, and they are faced with a gaming world where not many people really give fuck that their PC rigs can run Crysis 2 with 8x Anti-Aliasing at max settings at 60FPS.
I don't understand this point? Surely you mean that the gap is widening. My crummy PC has better graphics than my PS3 and 360 at this point. I think the question is: why on earth would anyone settle for 30 fps? I mean, come on, it's a terrible framerate. It might do okay on console because of the low resolution of both the game and the HD tv, but when playing on a PC it just feels so bad and stuttery.

I also assume you haven't played Crysis? If so you are missing out on one of the best games in recent years. Graphics aside (which are so gorgeous) it features some of the most fun gameplay in any shooter.

Paragon Fury said:
While PC gaming still has the RTS and MMO market on lockdown, I wouldn't hold my breath for them for long; you know that some ambitious developer out there is looking to make them a big hit out on consoles too, in order to lap up some of that delicious, recurring MMO and RTS money.
Hell, if anyone wants to play on a controller, more power to them.

It's a question of standards when it comes down to it. Console games are of a lower standard. It's as simple as that.

loadingdread

Oct 8, 2010
Remember everyone
Why bother fighting about this? I own all 3 of the current gen consoles and have a fairly high spec PC. They are all good.