Why are people against killing whales?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Neonbob said:
Because they don't realize just how dickish whales really are.
Or they think they're cute somehow.
Or they didn't have their entire family killed by a roving pod of humpbacks.
The naive fools.
Oh those humpback... They are only slightly less evil then those sperm whales.

Both are out for our blood thanks to the ridiculous names we gave them.

OT Why not kill the whales? How about the whole ecosystem thing. There is a lot we learn as we kill of species after species about how interdependent all the animals in the food chain really are to each other. Kill of one it might kill of several other that are semi dependent on them. That leads to others, and after other going till you have a barren chunk of land where there used to be a teeming wetland.

The whales are endangered and personally I don't want to see them all disappearing until we can piece to together how the differences between our respective brains affect each of use differently.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
manaman said:
Neonbob said:
Because they don't realize just how dickish whales really are.
Or they think they're cute somehow.
Or they didn't have their entire family killed by a roving pod of humpbacks.
The naive fools.
Oh those humpback... They are only slightly less evil then those sperm whales.

Both are out for our blood thanks to the ridiculous names we gave them.
And they both deserve those names in the first place, for being such jerks!

TheNamlessGuy said:
Neonbob said:
I was on the money this time!
Hah!
That you were, my whale hating friend.
That you were.

[sub]For once[/sub]
Heeey. This is at least the third time I've been around without someone notifying me!

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
the stonker said:
Are they in any risk of being stop existing?
Think about it they eat tones of food every day and they are pretty much big blubber bags.
If your arguement is "They are so cute,I wear a whale T-shirt:Don't hurt them" then your just being irrational.
So I ask you escapists, why shouldn't we just kill the whales? More food for us and I call it survival.

P.s. I come from Iceland where whale hunting isn't so illegal and everyone frown upon it so I don't get the point.
Fail. Also, grammar fail.

They aren't threatening us in any way. We have plenty of other sources of food that don't involve wiping out entire species of animals. In reality, whaling is pointless, because there are better, cheaper ways to obtain what we get from whales.
Also
reg42 said:
Because they're, you know, endangered.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-five-most-endangered-whales-935150.html

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Because there is some scientific evidence that they MAY be sentient. (At least some of them.)

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
reg42 said:
Wadders said:
It's because they are in risk of being stop existing.
Julianking93 said:
Because they're endangered.

Why the fuck else do you think we're against killing them?

Do research on the subject before you ***** about it.
Korten12 said:
reg42 said:

yeah this is the answer.

Iceland and Norway hunt whales commercially.
But we do not hunt the whales that are endangered, which you all seem to be under the impression that we do.

No, really. We only hunt whales that are not endangered!

Besides, whale meat is delicious.

Also;
Minke whales are the only legally hunted species. Catches have fluctuated between 487 animals in 2000 to 592 in 2007. The catch is made solely from the Northeast Atlantic minke whale population, which is estimated at 102,000

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Bah. They think they're so great with their blow holes and such. Uppity swimming mammals! Get back on the land where you belong!

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
ArcWinter said:
See, there is one thing that humans CAN NOT KILL OFF, or else we will all die.

That thing is PLANTS. Screw animals, they'd all die anyway. Being against killing "insert animal here" doesn't make any sense, because we can survive without them.

Oh yeah, and we'd need insects to keep the plants alive. So insects and plants. Don't kill em. Animals? Go ahead.
Animals are just as important to plant life as insects.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Why are people against killing Tigers?

Are they in any risk of being stop existing?
Think about it they eat tones of food every day and they are pretty much big furry bags.
If your arguement is "They are so cute,I wear a tiger T-shirt:Don't hurt them" then your just being irrational.
So I ask you escapists, why shouldn't we just kill the tigers? More furrs and ground up tiger penises for medicine and I call it survival.

P.s. I come from China where tiger hunting isn't is so illegal and everyone frown upon it so I don't get the point.

Why are people against killing gorillas?
Think about it they...

Oh well, at least they have some kind of quota on how many they can kill.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
If whales were in plentiful supply out there and they were as common as, say, deer or other typically hunted animals, then I would definitely support a cultures right to uphold their traditions and hunt whales. It makes sense, they are a very good, valuable resource and would make a pretty mighty kill.

However, as they fall towards extinction, does it not make more sense to preserve them so that FUTURE generations can enjoy upholding their traditions?

Also, when humanity stops caring about ONE species and lets it be driven to extinction, that attitude can easily slip towards others. Who cares if whales go extinct? They're just big dumb animals. Who cares if tigers go extinct? Who cares if polar bears and rhinos and panda bears and the entire damn rainforest disappears off the planet forever? I have a feeling future generations might have an issue with it, especially as some of these species have a greater impact on the ecosystem as a whole. The more we allow to die off, the more things fall out of balance, and balance is what keeps this world a happy, healthy place for us to enjoy living in.

Some people are just too shallow and selfish to care about dealing with the consequences of living only for themselves.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Wait... People eat whale? I was genuinely unaware of that. In fact, I've never even pondered the meaning of whale hunting. But anyways, I would much rather they weren't hunted... In the same way that I would much rather cows weren't hunted. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to eat them.

Darkenwrath

Apr 12, 2010
This simply seems an attempt at controversy to get views or trolls really.

Whales are endangered, and you know using EXPLODING HARPOONS, isn't the best way to hunt anything...

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
ArcWinter said:
See, there is one thing that humans CAN NOT KILL OFF, or else we will all die.

That thing is PLANTS. Screw animals, they'd all die anyway. Being against killing "insert animal here" doesn't make any sense, because we can survive without them.

Oh yeah, and we'd need insects to keep the plants alive. So insects and plants. Don't kill em. Animals? Go ahead.
I know right? Those damn whales are just cloggin up the oceans with their big-ness and their whale shenanigans.

Seriously, if we don't need them it is ok to kill them? Fail. By that logic, we should kill all of the goldfish as well. And destroy the coral reefs around the world. And to hell with sharks. Those dolphins as well, they aren't doing anything useful. Hell, neither are those damn squid. Kill'em all, I say.

Just nuke the ocean.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Well, I still want to know what a whale tastes like.
I'll also take that with a side of penguin.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
The Lizard of Odd said:
If whales were in plentiful supply out there and they were as common as, say, deer or other typically hunted animals, then I would definitely support a cultures right to uphold their traditions and hunt whales. It makes sense, they are a very good, valuable resource and would make a pretty mighty kill.

However, as they fall towards extinction, does it not make more sense to preserve them so that FUTURE generations can enjoy upholding their traditions?

Also, when humanity stops caring about ONE species and lets it be driven to extinction, that attitude can easily slip towards others. Who cares if whales go extinct? They're just big dumb animals. Who cares if tigers go extinct? Who cares if polar bears and rhinos and panda bears and the entire damn rainforest disappears off the planet forever? I have a feeling future generations might have an issue with it, especially as some of these species have a greater impact on the ecosystem as a whole. The more we allow to die off, the more things fall out of balance, and balance is what keeps this world a happy, healthy place for us to enjoy living in.

Some people are just too shallow and selfish to care about dealing with the consequences of living only for themselves.
Dear Sir, please let me enlighten you on our glorious whale hunting traditions here in Norway (and Iceland).

I'll quote Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling] here, feel free to check it out.

Minke whales are the only legally hunted species. Catches have fluctuated between 487 animals in 2000 to 592 in 2007. The catch is made solely from the Northeast Atlantic minke whale population, which is estimated at 102,000.
Darkenwrath said:
This simply seems an attempt at controversy to get views or trolls really.

Whales are endangered, and you know using EXPLODING HARPOONS, isn't the best way to hunt anything...
Read the passage above this quote please.

Free Thinker said:
Well, I still want to know what a whale tastes like.
I'll also take that with a side of penguin.
Believe me, it's very good.