Why are people buying Skyrim?

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Because they want to play it? Silly question.

I know I can wait until they release a version with all of the DLC included, and I'm probably going to do that. Others want to play it now. I would like to as well, but I hate the idea of having to buy the DLC separately, and I hate it enough that I'm willing to wait for however long it takes. That'll also give the modders plenty of time to do their thing.

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Because people have been waiting 5 years.

Another example of this woudl be, when HL3 comes out, dont' buy it until they make HL3 + Expansions all in one box like the oragne box.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Why does anyone pay full-price for any game on launch day as opposed to getting it for a third the price a few months/years later? They're willing to pay more money to play it now, simple.

I, for one, am stoked, and if it's anywhere near as good as it looks like, I'm more than willing to shell out another $60 for the GotY edition with all the expansion packs and DLC a year or whatever down the line.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dense_Electric said:
Why does anyone pay full-price for any game on launch day as opposed to getting it for a third the price a few months/years later?
Depends on the game. Modern Warfare 2 is still £30+ in most every brick+mortar shop I've been in. I expect it might finally drop in price once MW3 comes out, but I also expect that MW3 won't really drop in price until the inevitable next Modern Warfare.

Obviously doesn't apply to all games, but some keep a higher price for many months after it's justified.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
With Bethesda games I tend to buy the vanilla on console when it comes out, and then a few years later when the GOTYE is out I'll get it on PC. It also helps that by that time I should have a PC that can actually run the damn thing...

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
well let's say you wait until the GOTY/expansion pack edition comes out. you could've just bought the specific DLC you want.
also, impatience.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
RoBi3.0 said:
Do you think that if "everyone" waits for the game of the year edition instead of buying the game when released, that there will be a game of the year edition?

Games that don't sale for shit when released don't get game of the year editions. So, my question is why are you trying to convince "everyone" to wait for the game of the year edition.

Furthermore why are you assuming that people that buy the game when released are going to bother buying the Game of the year edition. There is such thing as buying the game, and the DLC as it comes out, therefore eliminating the need to re-buy the game.

Not everyone is or needs to be a cheap ass gamer. For some people it is a hobby they are willing to spend money on.
My question is what did I say that made you think I was trying to convince "everyone" to simply wait for a GOTY edition? I never said "People should just wait for the upgrade" I merely asked what the reason was for people that weren't. So before you accuse me of trying to convince "everyone" find an example where I said I was trying to convince "anyone"

And for the most part, I seem to be right. It's a matter of impatience (not saying that's a bad thing)

Me and my friend once got into an argument over ordering a game on Amazon and using the free shipping vs. going to the store and picking it up. Where I live, the combination of store tax, and the gas spent driving to and from the store, I save about $10 by simply waiting an extra day or two to play.

People have different priorities when it comes to these things.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Because I need something to blow my first pay cheque on. Also, I'm impatient for dragons.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
LoL! Yes. Skyrim is the main example right now of impatience. When somebody paid over 1700 for an early copy of MW3 he can't even play without getting banned and probably won't even get delivered till the proper release date anyway.

Lots of people do this type of thing, seriously, not being willing to play Skyrim until the GOTY edition with all the DLC releases is just silly. Its not like you can't buy the DLC at the time, and it can sometimes take a year or more for the full DLC edition to release. Look at the ultimate edition of New Vegas. Its not coming out for well over a year after the original release. Sorry, you can call me impatient if you want, but I'm not waiting a full bloody year to play Skyrim just to save the, like, 20 or 30 bucks for buying the DLC seperate and not in the GOTY.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well I want to buy it because I enjoyed the last game. Simple as that.

As for why I would buy it now rather than wait for the eventual game of the year edition, because something like that won't come out for a year. So why would I wait a year to get a game which comes out in just a few days?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Because I can't be arsed waiting a year to get it.

Easiest way is do what I did with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Buy the games but no DLC then buy the GOTY editions on Amazon when they are dirt cheap. I got Oblivion and Fallout 3 GOTY for £7.50 each meaning I got all the DLC for a grand total of £15 for both games.

I save money that way.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
Huh. Here I thought this thread would take the "why are you buying it now and not two months from now when all the major bugs have been patched out?" route.

People buy it now because they want to play it now. That's about all there is to it.
Yeeaah this one. I have yet to play a Bethesda game that isn't buggy like all hell.

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
well you've just rendered the entire movie theatre business obsolete haven't you? why should anybody in their right mind go to the cinema when we can all wait for the blu-ray release? Spread the word! The people must know!! also, im buying skyrim now because it is worth £35 to me and im happy to give that much for it.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Strain42 said:
Now before anyone gets mad or assumes this is some sort of anti-Skyrim thread, it's not. I'm not bashing the game, the developer or anyone who is interested in it.

But let's look at Oblivion and Fallout 3. Both of those games were eventually given expansion packs, and then re-released as a game that contained the original game plus all of the expansion packs. Sometimes these were cheaper than the original game.

So assuming that's going to happen with Skyrim, why buy it now? Is it just a matter of impatience? Do people want to support Bethesda by possibly buying the game twice?

Is there anyone reading this who does just plan on buying it once the Game of the Year edition comes out?

Just curious.
I am going to get the Xbox 360 version in my mail box on release day.
I am going to spend money on the DLC and I'm going to enjoy every second of it.
I am going to upgrade my Motherboard and Processor in the mean time.
I am going to buy the Game of the Year edition on my pc later.

Just like I did with Oblivion.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
If you seriously need to ask that question, you are not a real gamer.
If you seriously feel the need to tag people, you're everything that is wrong with "gaming" these days.

wurrble182 said:
well you've just rendered the entire movie theatre business obsolete haven't you? why should anybody in their right mind go to the cinema when we can all wait for the blu-ray release? Spread the word! The people must know!!
Not getting to the point much?

If you were to take his analogy, you would watch it in the movie theatre because it is much cheaper than buying a blu-ray release. What he means is that buying games late is more economical. And let's face it, a DLC contains more bang for your buck than deleted scenes or commentaries on a blu-ray.

I don't get what's wrong with these forums. Do you people also argue whether if you play naked or with clothes on? Because it seems everyone has the need of criticizing how other play games.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
I wish i could wait that is the smart option.. but i just can't.
Plus, take a look at all these Skyrim threads, it's bloody insane! It's nice to get a game that you can talk about with other people... wait a year or so and much less people are talking about it.
Plus.. I WANT IT NOW!!!