Why are people so afraid of words?

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
I've just been browsing this thread:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.316255-Poll-Which-is-the-most-offensive-N-word-or-C-word?page=1

and the number of people who are afraid to just write words out is astonishing. As several people on that thread have pointed out, words hold no intrinstic offensive value; it is how words are used and received that make them offensive.

For example, I see nothing wrong with asking 'Which word is more offensive, **** or ******?' because I'm not directing those words at anyone in particular, nor am I using them in an insulting context. However, I wouldn't use the word ****** when addressing or describing someone, as that could easily offend. Again, I see no problem with that last sentence because it's not directed at anyone in particular, it's just an example.

So why are people so very afraid to write down words in order to discuss them? Is it simply the fear of offending someone, or is there more to it than that?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
There are reasons for not wanting such words in the titles of threads (it might give the wrong impression of the sight to advertisers and potential new members), but I don't understand self censorship within the threads. The Escapist has never had a no-swearing policy as far as I'm aware.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Words are only as offensive as you allow them to be.

Ignore them, and they won't bother you... It's just silly to be offended by words.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
The OP's concern was with the mods...He wasn't sure if they'd be happy with it or not. I honestly have no problem with words, I love them and maintain the idea that people shouldn't be "hurt" or "offended" by words.

This idea makes it difficult for people to argue with or insult me because I tend to just laugh in their face no matter what they say. Which doesn't always work out well for me lol.

Honestly, people are entitled to their own beliefs and opinions about words and if they find something offensive then fair enough, I'll hold my tongue around them...but behind their back I'll be silently cursing them XD

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
WHAT are you DOING? Trying to teach the simpletons to write? This will be the death of us, YOU HEAR ME? The death of us. Meh, I don't like using them because I prefer to use more creative insults you menstruating cephalopod :p I don't know why poeple get all... umm... how to put it... irrational when they read or see words commonly used as insults or are considered offensive. It's like when some kid's parent sees that they are reading what the dictionary defines 'Fuck' as. But I think it is kind of understandable. If they don't know the word then they can't use it. I'm just as confused as you are.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Words are only as offensive as you allow them to be.

Ignore them, and they won't bother you... It's just silly to be offended by words.
Exactly this.
I would be more offended if someone called me a conformist or ignorant, than if they called me (quote from someone I trashed in MW2) a "cock-sucking, mother-fucking, try hard bad kid noob"

Obviously there are words that are only used in a negative context, but if you use them enough in a silly or positive context, they lose that negative connotation. As far as society is concerned, fuck society. The words that are "offensive" as far as society is concerned, are always going to be there until society changes. I don't really give a damn about society or what "everyone else" thinks, so that doesn't really effect me.

As my social (history/economics for you non Canadians) teacher once said, "The only opinions that matter, are the opinions of those you trust. And that trust isn't something that just pops into existence on a whim"
Translation: if you think ****** is a bad word, don't say it. But you shouldn't not use a word simply because someone you don't know, says not to use it.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
The word has a negative connotation to it. It signified an entire generation of legally accepted racism, and that's where it got stuck in my head.

I'm not afraid of the word, but I dislike it because it is purely used to denote members of an entire race (and apparently to call your friends if you're black), and it represents a very real problem that we still have in this world.

****? I have no problem with saying that. It's a somewhat funny word, but still has a rather aggressive connotation behind it.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It's only words, and words are all I have ....... in fact, The Bee Gee's can explain it better.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
The word has a negative connotation to it. It signified an entire generation of legally accepted racism, and that's where it got stuck in my head.

I'm not afraid of the word, but I dislike it because it is purely used to denote members of an entire race (and apparently to call your friends if you're black), and it represents a very real problem that we still have in this world.
But this is where it comes to whether or not a word can be offensive. If nobody was offended by the word ******, it wouldn't be offensive. That's what happens when groups 'reclaim' words. As you pointed out, black people call each other ******, so have gone partway to making the word inoffensive, but still give it power by taking offence if others use it.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Legit101 said:
"Hey ****" is a generally accepted greeting in Australia.
Haha, seriously? If I ever try it out and get my head smashed in I'll be blaming you.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
[quote="b3nn3tt" post="18.316421.12863619"So why are people so very afraid to write down words in order to discuss them? [/quote]

Because we all live in crazy, weird times. People are sued over silly things, corporations owns rights to common words and it's dangerous to express one's feelings and thoughts in public.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
b3nn3tt said:
JoesshittyOs said:

But this is where it comes to whether or not a word can be offensive. If nobody was offended by the word ******, it wouldn't be offensive. That's what happens when groups 'reclaim' words. As you pointed out, black people call each other ******, so have gone partway to making the word inoffensive, but still give it power by taking offence if others use it.
I understand that. But like I said, it's something that means a little bit more to me than an average person (I'm sensitive when it comes to intolerance).

To me, saying the word ****** is like saying "Hitler was right all along". It's something that just makes me sick to think a human being is demented enough to think that.

When I see kids my age call their friends nigga and all that, I don't exactly find it offensive, but rather distasteful.

I'm a weird guy like that.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
b3nn3tt said:
I understand that. But like I said, it's something that means a little bit more to me than an average person (I'm sensitive when it comes to intolerance).

To me, saying the word ****** is like saying "Hitler was right all along". It's something that just makes me sick to think a human being is demented enough to think that.

When I see kids my age call their friends nigga and all that, I don't exactly find it offensive, but rather distasteful.

I'm a weird guy like that.
Out of interest, do you consider every use of the word ****** to have that implication? Because you said you find it distasteful when people use it with friends, but to my mind it's an all-or-nothing stance; either you feel that way whenever it's used or you shouldn't feel that way unless it is being used in only that context.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
Phisi said:
you menstruating cephalopod :p
This has got to be up there with female toilet as far as strange insults I've heard.

as for the original thread point, the N-word is seen as racially sensitive to the degree that it's only offensive if you're not of the race historically described that way. the other 'offensive' word in that thread topic was just crude.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
As words very purpose is to carry meaning, frequently one with an emotional component- in this case the meaning is fairly innocent but the emotional component is derogatory and insulting.

So yes it is normal to be offended by them- no words are just words, if that was true they'd be useless.