Why are people so passionate about the platform they use for gaming?

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
As we can see in many posts on the Escapists, people are very passionately talking about their pc, xbox, ps3, or whatever they use for gaming. Moreover, many people argue with fervor against any other platform. This always boggles me, as I just do not understand this. I started playing on MSX, then Amiga, then for a long time pc, and finally I switched to Xbox360. I am a gamer and I like to play games. I will choose the platform that fits best my gaming needs. But why would I look down on an another console or pc? In relation, many people seem to think that it is a good thing when the competition is not doing well. Yet as a gamer I want all consoles and pcs to do well, as increased competition between consoles works in favor for all gamers. Competition makes prices drop, forces developers to make better games, less bugs, moves the field forward etc. I guess my question is: Why can we not get along as gamers?

I would like to have comments on this phenomena, people who feel the need to say that one platform is better, please go to one of the other posts dealing with that. I would however be interested in your opinion why you feel the need to defend your console/pc (so has nothing to do with hardware).

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
It's a very simple question but it boggles my mind as well. I'm lucky enough to have a PS3 and 360 and I used to have a Wii as well. I enjoy all of them in different ways. The PS3 has blu-ray, the 360 has a great online marketplace etc etc. I feel no dedication to either. I just love games.

I guess people need to feel a connection to whatever they choose, like supporting a sports team or preferring Marvel to DC (I can relate to that because I generally prefer DC).

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Because this is the internet. People will argue about anything.

More seriously, I think it's just that people grow attached to things that make up their life and build up pointless loyalties to inanimate objects and the heartless corporations that make them. So they argue about them on the internet. As you do.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Well. I'm passionate about it because I like playing on PC the most. If everyone else is playing on xbox and ps3, games wont be made for my PC and I'll be fucked. Pretty simple really.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
I got a ps1 on my 6th birthday and have always had some sort of playstation after that. I feel the need to defend it just because playstation has always been part of my life. However I don't feel the need to slag off other platforms, even ones I don't like, to make the playstation look better. There is no need for doing that, if you feel your favourite platform is the best.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Don't ask me, I have no Earthly idea, truly.

To me, it's like someone arguing over who's toaster or curling iron is better.

^mfw console arguments

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Two reasons:

- the more support a given platform has, the more users it has, the higher the chance developers will create exclusives for it. 2000 was the golden age of PC gaming which is long past. The games we do get today have more depth than the console games of 2000 but less than the PC games of that time. This sucks.

- the console crowd is the kind of people with prepackaged goods mentality - the PC crowd is the opposite. The PC crowd can't simply comprehend why would anyone choose something that gives less possibilities and is limiting. The console crowd can't comprehend why would anyone want to assemble their own hardware, flash their BIOS, update drivers just to kill some aliens [small]after having flipped burgers for the whole day[/small]

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Because people fail to realize that all that makes their platform of choice unique is a few GB, or even MB, of OS.

There's nothing special whatsoever about any of the platforms. They're all exactly the same on a technical level. The only real difference is the user interface and amount of interaction with underlying systems.

It's like arguing about whether Orange Juice tastes better when drinking it from a wine-glass, ceramic cup or baby bottle.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
because they want to defend the piece of tech they payed $100+
or are 12 yo douche,s that don,t know the meaning of the word,s "gay" and "fag"

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Hhmmm some interesting points are brought forward. I have to say I had not yet thought of the angle that more strong support for a platform will keep developers on board. While I am not sure I agree to the need for this, it is an interesting argument that cannot be thrown aside just like that.

Heimir said:
braindead lemmings ;).
8-D

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I believe they're all underage. That is the only explanation of how people can be so silly. I will put my fingers in my ears and hum loudly if you try to tell me otherwise, I wish to live in a world where adults act like adults.

*HUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM*

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
i only ever did it when i was young and i always remember it was born out of PC gamers attacking the integrity of my comsole, it was a loyalty thing like when my AFL team was losing. Then for a while i attacked their elitism.

it was a very petty cycle now im Pc and console and i'm much happier.

(sorry Pc gamers i apologise for making fun of you)

maybe its just young gamers who act this way.
(but maybe not being ONLINE (raises hands and yells for emphasis) since about eight months ago has protected me, frankly i was surprised how often it comes up especially on a site which dedicates so much of its time to maturity(i love brackets))

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I do have this problem with a few friends of mine. Every time Xbox is mentioned anywhere within earshot, they seek to remind everyone that Xbox is shit, it has always been shit, and will continue to be shit when they gain sentience and lead a shitty robot uprising.

Its basically fanboys not being able to come to grips with the fact that things they dont like, exist.

Nomad Warrior

May 12, 2011
I too have wondered this very question. Owning a beast of a PC, PSP and a Xbox 360, I have still met the very restrictive barrier of 'Exclusive title'. I have not understood why any games company would want to do this, considering the actual amount of people wanting to waste money on buying every console and handheld known to man, is actually not that great a number. Having studied business and actually working in the retail industry, I have been taught that every person that walks into my shop is a customer and I need to sell them stuff. So I don't see how restricting the sale of your game to say, 3/10 customers is exactly going to pay the bills. Plus not every 3/10 will want to buy the game, so why not market to the full audience and be pulling up to 7-8/10 sales? Alass, I would have gladly gotten into Killzone and Resistence, but buying a console to play a few titles just isn't my idea of an investment.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Hagi said:
Because people fail to realize that all that makes their platform of choice unique is a few GB, or even MB, of OS.

There's nothing special whatsoever about any of the platforms. They're all exactly the same on a technical level. The only real difference is the user interface and amount of interaction with underlying systems.

It's like arguing about whether Orange Juice tastes better when drinking it from a wine-glass, ceramic cup or baby bottle.
Well, no, that's the whole point.

PCs allow you to customize your games.
PCs allow you to mod your games.
PCs allow you to mod your game on the machine you use to play it.
PCs encourage creativity and learning (when was the last time you learned a new programming language on your console?)
PCs aren't limited by the maker of the console (why isn't there steam on 360?)
PCs can be upgraded
PCs are multifunctional
PCs demand either more money or more technical knowledge

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
because most can only afford one console and desperately want it to be the right choice

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I agree with archont above, but I'm not simply a PC fanboy. I'm a PC AND PS3 fanboy. Some things are better on console than on PC, and vice-versa. I don't think I'd enjoy Assassin's creed on PC as much as on playstation. At the same time, PC gives you a lot more control in certain situations. Like the console commands on many games, I can fix things if something goes horribly wrong.

And sure, xbox has its uses as well. I mean there's Halo . . . and . . Halo 2 . . . and Halo 3 . . and Reach, and ODST. There's also . . . umm . . something . . . something I'm sure that makes that jumble of keys they dare call a controller work. I'll think of it . . . someday.

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
Not many people like to admit they are wrong and wasted their money. As soon as they say that another platform is better than the one they play on they are admitting defeat.