Why are so many people wary of science?

Jan 29, 2009
notyouraveragejoe said:
I think it stems from the whole "If its natural/bio it is good. If its from a lab its unnatural and therefore bad" despite the two things being the same (nitrogen from a plant is the say as nitrogen obtained from ammonia).

Personally I love science. Science is brilliant. Really, really brilliant. I love gaining knowledge and I feel science is great for this pursuit.

I am also fully against the whole natural/bio vs chemical/lab made thing since I KNOW its the same thing. And lastly I will always love science for making blue. I like blue candy and blue slushies. And I know they're not natural. And as such I'm thanking science for that, if nothing else.
The thing is, all the artificial flavoring is is just the chemical that makes the natural thing have its taste. The artificial flavoring is only that, just cheaply produced.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
"Apperture science...we do what me must because we can. For the good of all of us - except the ones who are dead"

Sorry that came to mind. The thing is, if science can help me understand the environment around me, then I consider it very useful and a subject of fascination. The same could be said of philosophy. Religion however is a very delicate subject that is not so much dependent on fact but opinion and self-belief.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Jordi said:
I think there are a number of reasons. Books, television/movies and games often depict scientists as "mad" or the stuff they invent as disastrous. Some people like to think that this world is a magical place (perhaps designed by a god) and explanations of how stuff works makes it less magical.
Also, some people may feel that things are fine as it is. They don't want (all) technological improvements that will cause them to be (somewhat) obsolete. Computers have replaced many people and older people are generally less skilled with them, which is not good for their prospects in the workplace compared to younger people. Then, there's also just a longing for the "good old days" where kids were still playing outside and not alone on their computers.

Finally, and this is the one I can somewhat agree with: science is done by people. These people may be relatively smart and well educated, but that doesn't mean they can't be corrupt and/or make mistakes (and cover it up). When for a lot of issues scientists say different things (e.g. global warming, the way the WTC fell down, etc.), that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of trust. Sure, some areas are checked very well and very carefully (I'm pretty sure medicine is), but others aren't.
Pretty much hey.

I also agree with Cuacuani's post.

There sure are a lot of ignorant people in the world :(

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
"Science is our greatest tool and our greatest threat." Not a quote, but it totally should be :D

But yeah, I love science. It's what the military do with the science that's the problem ;)

Gaiazun

Apr 30, 2010
Because science is usually reported by journalists who can?t tell good science from bad or who won?t because they need a story.
Nutrition is a good example as it?s a very difficult and shoddy science.
The spice turmeric is claimed to be effective against cancer and is presented as a miracle of nature because of a lab test involving cells in glass dishes.
But to actually absorb any of the active curcumin in it you would have to eat 100g of turmeric (good luck).
The media likes stories about scientific breakthroughs, miracle cures etc but most new discoveries are the result of many small separate studies.

I would also like to add that schools teach biology, chemistry etc but these are just areas of science, students don?t learn enough on how to judge scientific papers and treat and evaluate evidence

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Snarky Username said:
I'm just trying to say that I'm not talking about the Christians you are talking about. In my post I completely neglected them because they aren't the people who are overly wary of science. The ones I'm talking about are the people who do just ignore anything that isn't explicitly mentioned in their holy book.

The vast majority of my friends are Christians and most of them are very accepting of new and exciting ideas, and have an open mind to scientific findings. They at least give them a chance and think about them and actually make a decision about their validity. The people I'm talking about are those who blindly disregard any evidence given and give no mind to anything that implies that there's another way except for God. People who claim that others are wrong without any doubt because they don't share beliefs.
Okay I get you. It's dumb when people don't listen to new ideas, like new findings and such. But I have still always been able to go and find a possible answer in the Bible even though I try and be open minded about it.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Well, I usually like scientists. Usually, they are pretty logical, and have different personalities and all that fun stuff that makes us human. However, lately I find a lot of scientists have become....politicized, and begun taking sides when they never should. Being a damned scientist means you need to do certain things. Hypothesis, theory's, examining the Laws of existence and all that stuff. Simply using science as a device to manipulate what is actual facts is downright despicable....

Anyway, I think the reason everyone does not think much of science and scientists is because far too often our entertainment is linked with discoveries made by scientists. Zombie Virus? Made in a lab.

Killer Robots? Someone had to create and think of them.

Mutants and their powers? Someone was screwing around with certain chemicals....

All too often, people are afraid that we end up in the worst scenarios, because we won't have a hero or time machine or good group of people to help us. Humanity is despicable like that, so it prefers to be terribly cautious about the whole deal.