Why are there no funny female comedians?

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
the problem is that 1/2 the women who do comedy feel that they have to do comedy specifically for women, and of the other half, only 1/4 of them are funny. It's tough to be a lady comedian

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Mr. Purple said:
Because most women will willingly watch a male comedian, but some men are too stubborn to enjoy a female's comedy. ...well thats 1 theory at least.
You didn't write in purple. Mr. Purple fail. You have disappointed the wolf.

OT:
Female stand-ups are increidbly bitter because they were the one everyone shat on in highschool, and they just ***** and ***** and *****. Sometimes they throw in a little moaning that isn't imitation of sex, but only rarely.

I don't know why... To be completely honest, I don't think women are that funny. I mean, in a stand-up comedian sort of way.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I think whenever a woman makes jokes about being a woman it's going to alienate guys who for natural reasons cannot recognize themselves in the jokes. But apart from that, I dunno.
I'd agree with this. Same reason comedians who rely on unique cultural upbringings struggle to appeal to me.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
s0denone said:
Mr. Purple said:
Because most women will willingly watch a male comedian, but some men are too stubborn to enjoy a female's comedy. ...well thats 1 theory at least.
You didn't write in purple. Mr. Purple fail. You have disappointed the wolf.

OT:
Female stand-ups are increidbly bitter because they were the one everyone shat on in highschool, and they just ***** and ***** and *****. Sometimes they throw in a little moaning that isn't imitation of sex, but only rarely.

I don't know why... To be completely honest, I don't think women are that funny. I mean, in a stand-up comedian sort of way.
<color=purple> 1: I don't know if you just said that at random and it was weirdly accurate seeing as I do type in purple, or if you actually noticed that I post semi-regularly on The Escapist and always type in purple. Either way bravo.
2: I do believe that I posted this while my username was Lil_Hank93. And it would have been absurd if I typed in purple then. :p

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think as some people above have noticed, we're getting to a new era where women are being just comedians, instead of female comedians...leaving behind the 'I'm a woman and here's my women's viewpoint on everything', and just being someone who says funny stuff on stage.

Not that I'm saying you can't do female stuff as a woman, or black stuff as a black person, but you get Gina Yashere who seems to base her whole act on being either black or a woman, and it gets tiresome. If you look at Stephen K Amos or Reginald D Hunter, sure they do material about being black, but they have a much wider scope too.

Sarah Millican I think is a great example of doing the woman's viewpoint well however.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
I have recently noticed something else similar, there are no female rappers, but I am not really a fan of rap anyway.
Jezzascmezza said:
That... Is an interesting point...
Which I don't have a non-sexist answer for...
Is the fear of getting banned holding you back?

(It's nice to see this thread going strong after I created it over a year and a half ago, to tell you the truth I had actually lost interest in it, but I am glad someone kept it going.)