why are torture movies so popular

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Disclaimer: This is without reading anyones response and going off of me and my friends, no offense to anyone else

Answer:
Because we are all sick fucks and secretly wish sometimes we could do that to people. Especially stupid and useless people.....Society just won't let us and doesn't approve or understand.....

Edit: Some of this is a joke too....so take it lightly

Edit 2:
ChainsawEnima said:
Cause Mel Gibson made one.

(Cookie to first one to get the reference)
What is Passion of the Christ for $1000 Pat

ChainsawEnima

Mar 19, 2009
aprilmarie said:
ChainsawEnima said:

You win! Your cookie is being shipped to you from a sweatshop in china and will be brought to you by a small asian child by aproximately October 28th 2012

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I find them a little too disturbing to watch. I'd imagine they'd be good if they appealed to me.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
unholyavenger13 said:
i dont understand it how could anyone but insane violent people (like the antagonists of torture movies) enjoy watching actors pretend to be miserable and watch them disfigure themselves however fake it may be it is still sick and saw has 5 or 6 sequals and now a video game!! how can that many people like this shit
because we can relate to them, i mean sure i didnt have to cut out my own eye to get a key that saves my life but, i feel that i relate to the actor because of other situations where i had to make a hard decision.

torture movies are nothing more than everyday life put on a more physical level.

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
Kpt._Rob said:
Torture films tend to work under the principles of Sadean morality. From a literary standpoint, people who watch these films are forced to ask themselves what they would do in the situation given a set of highly complex moral choices. While some films like Frontiers really are simplistic, and don't justify their existence, movies like Hostel or the Saw franchise (by the way, for those who haven't ever seen Saw, most of the "torture" scenes are quite understated for the horror industry, and none of them are as intense as you've been lead to believe they are) however really are quite intelligent, if hard to watch at times. In fact, Saw quite directly deals with questions of morality, raising the stakes to a life or death situation, and challenging the victims to make their choice.

Sometimes it is even the violence itself that has meaning. Take for instance The Last House on the Left, where the violence was actually meant to be representative both of war, and of the attrocities that the victims of war can commit in retaliation.

Those prone to overreaction, and to jumping on bandwagon issues, will often rag on these films WITHOUT EVEN TAKING THE TIME TO WATCH THEM. But if you'll give them a chance and consult some legitimate film scholars, you may find there's more to them than you realized.
This guy takes the words right out of my mouth.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
stinkychops said:
Pulse Reality said:
I've never seen one, and never intend to watch one. Lots of my friends, however, love films like Saw to pieces.

I don't get it?!
Are you unsure as to wether you 'get' the notion of torture films? It just seems you have added a question mark without a question.
You know, I didn't actually mean to add a question mark, but I still can't understand what is the point of watching or creating Torture Films.

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
I don't know. I admit that I'm not a fan of the "torture" genre as a whole, but like any movie, I judge each one independently. I liked the first Saw, but the rest were Grade A Shit. I suppose you could also call "Audition" a torture film, although the "torture" was only in the last part of the movie, and I admit that scene bugs me. It's one of the few films that actually scares me. I saw the first "Hostel" and thought it was stupid and pointless. I attempted to watch "Captivity" but ended up stopping it about halfway through and smacking my friend across the face with the DVD case since he was the one who said that I would enjoy it. Can't say that I've seen many others one would consider a "Torture" film, I almost had a run in with "Guinea Pig" once but thankfully the internet pre-warned me.

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
In my opinnion, torture scenes in horror films are what motivates the protagonist(s) to run and/or fight. Not always, of course, but more often than exception our heroes are made to act because they don't want to experience painful mutilation. This is also a good reminder to the audience why it is, in fact, a FRIGGIN' HORROR MOVIE! You are supposed to feel disgusted and scared. These two feelings go together like birchs and pines. You don't like it? GOOD. Then the director is doing his/her job right.

Anyone seen Hellraisers? Now that's a mutilation movie (even better if you've read the books). Combining pain and pleasure in Slaanesh style: Leather, needles and screams. The story is a good example what happens when you take S&M and insanity to exrteme.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
People like to think they are tough by seeing something that would make them faint in real life. They feel better informed after seeing the man get cut up by chicken wire sand use it to boost their cool status. I should know.

darklink259

Jan 5, 2009
IWCAS said:
Idk. I hate em all too. It is pretty twisted, but i guess thats just how humans are. Animals don't kill each other for fun now do they? BTW im not a hippie. lololol
How do you know that animals don't enjoy killing other animals? I have two cats and they take joy in stalking and killing many animals smaller then themselves. I feed them, so they do not do it simply fo the food.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
ChainsawEnima said:
aprilmarie said:
ChainsawEnima said:

You win! Your cookie is being shipped to you from a sweatshop in china and will be brought to you by a small asian child by aproximately October 28th 2012
YES! score! I've ALWAYS wanted to be smart enough to win Jeopar......oh wait....this isn't Jeopardy....damn......oh well.....YAY for cookies!

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
IWCAS said:
Idk. I hate em all too. It is pretty twisted, but i guess thats just how humans are. Animals don't kill each other for fun now do they? BTW im not a hippie. lololol
Only cats, foxes, and humans kill for fun.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Eh?
Are they popular?
I thought Saw had an interesting premise but then there were too many sequels.
Most of them suck, imo.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
Having been forced by my wife to watch these types of movies there was only one thing I really enjoyed from the "Saw" series:

The torture and death of a member of the group "New Kids on the Block". Coincidentally her favorite band and member of said band.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Because people are trapped in the mindset that these movies are edgy and innovative when they've already been ground into the dirt and spat on by the Saw series.

Their as edgy as emo culture (read: mainstream as hell).

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
People love them because humans are all violent sadists by nature. Don't let the disguise of organized society that we have created fool you. We're all just a bunch of fucking animals.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
stinkychops said:
The Austin said:
stinkychops said:
The Austin said:
Because people are f#cked up. the guy who made saw should be thrown into an insane assylum.
I hope you jest.
Really.
Do explain.
I fail to see why you would believe a man who makes a movie dealing with graphic materials which help illustrate the authors point should be sentenced to death. Then again I suppose it is reasonable to sentence people to death for supplying cinematic experiences you don't agree with, its not as though the public approves by watching them or anything.
I didnt say he should be sentanced to death, I shaid he should be thrown in an insane assylum.
I guess I dint relly mean it in a literal sense, I just meant to say that guy is CRAAAAAAAZZY.