Why aren't girls into gaming?

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
Selvec said:
Zallest said:
My girlfriend plays games but i think most girls weren't gamers because it was agianst the norm and most games probly didn't appeal to girls.

Selvec said:
Because they are sick of being harrassed by little 15 year old pock faced twits?
I bet every female gamer has heard these phrases at least once "Wanna cyber?" and "Gimme Nudes"
Girls are just as bad as guys these days Selv. Most girl gamers i see are in MMO games (I mean girls that i know for fact are girls because i've talked to them) and some of them don't harrasse perse but they take advantage over most of the weaker men. I understand if you're stupid enough to bend over backwards for a girl that you don't even know you probly deserve it but I've met girl gamers that demand special treatment because of their mammaries.

No insults toward the opposite sex i am just saying some girls are just as bad as most of the guys in their own way.
Well done, you've insulted me and managed to take what I said completely out of proportion. What I meant, though it's clear you're looking to make an ass of yourself so you blew it out of the water, is that most females have had to put up with that behaviour before, and thus can be a bit ansy about it. Unless you've aquired a pair of breasts and suddenly get mood swings once a month, I don't think you're really qualified to say otherwise, girlfreind or not.

Maybe your super powered eyes can see words that are invisable to the rest of us, but I swear I never said anything about treating females any better or worse then anymore. I'm pretty sure I never said anything about taking advantage of anyone, and I'm also sure I never said that anyone deserves special treatment. Though of course, you being the master of argument that you are, have clearly seen these invisable words in my post.

You should go get that checked out I think.
I'm sure you took a long time to think out these clever words to flame me but i wasn't trying to pick a fight or call you stupid with your INVISIBLE words. I was simply stating the fact that girls cause as much crap as the 15 year old guys and your post just happened to be one of the post that was stating that girls get harassed by the male population of gamers. I appreciate not starting a flame war over a misunderstanding, the insults are unnecessary.

Haddi

Feb 9, 2009
Celd said:
Kiarrens said:
Raven28256 said:
This. THIS THIS THIS.
Seriously. Give me a strong female character who's wearing something PRACTICAL and I'd be one happy gamer. Look at it this way, guys. Would you want to play a video game if you had to watch your MALE main character running around in a string bikini and a thong?
*thinks on that final statement*
If anything seeing any of the GOW characters in a man-thong would make me wanna laugh so hard I couldn't shoot and I would choose that character on Live just to freak people out.(After that post I feel the need to say I'm a straight guy with a twisted sense of humor)
I'm gay, and the idea of Cole in a thong is the best thought ever.

mmmm, Cole biceps.

djpuppylove789

Jan 22, 2009
its funny this topic was brought up. i was playing L4D the other day and we were playing blood harvest on expert and one of the players was a girl. so one of the other guys started making sexist comments while i just bit my toungue, not interested in defending anyone over the internet. so we get into the game and all of the sudden we get attacked by a horde and sure enough, look who is completely obliterating all of the infected: the girl. i think she was the only one who never got incapacitated, while the douche who was insulting her didnt even get on the truck.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Unbelievable. This type of discussion has been done so many times before with the same stuff being said and each of them get several pages worth of post. If you want to be OP extraordinaire, just do one of these. I'm having trouble figuring out why you guys enjoy these so much.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I knew a few female gamers back when I played mechassault 2 on live, and they were awesome. Dang Jadedbluemoon and her uziel! She knew how to use that mech!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Depends on the game. There are lots of female WoW players, but get a game leaking testosterone and gore, say Gears of War, and you probably have a 1 female to every 1000 male gamer ratio. One of my female friends tried to play Gears against my friend and after getting chain-sawed in half a few times, she was too horrorfied to go on. Although, she does get scared of movies like The Ring 2, so...

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
djpuppylove789 said:
its funny this topic was brought up. i was playing L4D the other day and we were playing blood harvest on expert and one of the players was a girl. so one of the other guys started making sexist comments while i just bit my toungue, not interested in defending anyone over the internet. so we get into the game and all of the sudden we get attacked by a horde and sure enough, look who is completely obliterating all of the infected: the girl. i think she was the only one who never got incapacitated, while the douche who was insulting her didnt even get on the truck.
I think I've seen more girls playing Left for Dead than any other online game. Just my experience though. I've encountered maybe four or five girls online ever, until L4D, then that number doubled in two days.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
geldonyetich said:
All this talk about getting girls into gaming, yet precious little advice on how gamers can get into girls.
Heh, good one, me of two months ago. :p

Anywho, I agree with the point of this thread where it was revealed that statistics actually indicate there's as many girls as boys into gaming, just they have a tendency to enjoy different kinds of games.

Sort of makes the whole thread silly, really.

ChickDangerous

Feb 8, 2009
I don't know very many girls who aren't gamers but we all like different things, none of them the stereotypical 'girl games' though (you know, like The Sims). Real gamers.

It's been pointed out already, but once you're gaming online and people suddenly discover the fact that you're female their attitude towards you changes from one of camaraderie to either patronization or innuendo. It's damn annoying. Also, some guys seem to assume that since you're a girl you're a shitty player at whatever game and won't let you play.

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
ChickDangerous said:
It's been pointed out already, but once you're gaming online and people suddenly discover the fact that you're female their attitude towards you changes from one of camaraderie to either patronization or innuendo.
Would you mind qualifying that with a 'some people'?

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Mariena said:
Rutawitz said:
maybe they think mindless violence isnt fun?
Oh, sure, I cried and weeped after I accidently ran my sports car over pedestrians, hitting up to 20 people. I felt so horrible. All those poor little things!

And then not a minute later, my weapon went off.. right next to someone's head! I can't believe it! I'm such a silly girl.

Yes, mindless violence is lame!

I wish I could play as a girl in a GTA game for once, though. Bleh.
Saints row allows that i believe.

Kesia

Feb 10, 2009
knottingam said:
Generally speaking, that is. I realize that there are some girls on here; but it seems that y'all are the exception to the rule. I'm just curious: Why is the female-to-male ratio amongst gamers so low?
Personally, my hobbies go all over the place; today I spent a bit debating if I should get a new travel sewing kit, and one thing that convinced me to go for it was the pouch that was perfectly sized for a PSP!

As for why more of us don't get into it, though, well. Look at how many games are aimed at boys--I refuse to play Tomb Raider on principle, because I hate seeing women being objectified. Sure, some games are clearly aimed at girls, but how many of them are actually worth playing? Super Princess Peach sure isn't.

ChickDangerous

Feb 8, 2009
Oswald D Grant said:
ChickDangerous said:
It's been pointed out already, but once you're gaming online and people suddenly discover the fact that you're female their attitude towards you changes from one of camaraderie to either patronization or innuendo.
I should have. So yes. Some people.

Quantana

Dec 3, 2008
i think because most games are qiuet aggresive and that you need a bit of testosterone
(no idea if i speld that right) in you to accutly like that kind of stuff

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
ChickDangerous said:
Oswald D Grant said:
ChickDangerous said:
I should have. So yes. Some people.
I read one set of statistics that, while the average gamer is in general is in their 30s [http://www.theaveragegamer.com/averagegamers/], there's a tendency in MMORPGs for the players to be younger and male.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that now, but it makes sense to me: grinds have a tendency to alienate mature people, and it seems to me that men would be more likely to find a power fantasy appealing.

My point is it might explain this immature misogynistic behavior you're running into - it happened in a MMORPG, am I right? ;) (I wouldn't put it past FPS either.)

Anywho, the best stats we have [http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2008.pdf] seem to suggest that at least 40% of gamers are women, so there's not that much of a gap.