OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
WrongSprite said:
Mikael Akerfeldt hands down.

Beautiful singing voice.

<youtube=FBS7ejV9qEk&ob=av3el>

Brutal growls.

<youtube=OFom-4Lnj9E>
Hate to break it to you, but that's not Akerfeldt on the Bloodbath vocals. That's the guy they brought on to replace him on the second album before he came back. Good tune nonetheless.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
TheComedown said:
Jonny Craig
Listener (Dan Smith)
Fuck yeah Listener. Made me wanna put Ozark Empire on repeat for another way too long period of time.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
omniscientostrich said:
WrongSprite said:
Mikael Akerfeldt hands down.

Beautiful singing voice.

<youtube=FBS7ejV9qEk&ob=av3el>

Brutal growls.

<youtube=OFom-4Lnj9E>
Hate to break it to you, but that's not Akerfeldt on the Bloodbath vocals. That's the guy they brought on to replace him on the second album before he came back. Good tune nonetheless.
Yeah, I remembered that it was Tagtgren a while ago, I've since edited it to Mock the Cross. :)

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Lerxst said:
chromewarriorXIII said:
I've always liked James LaBrie from Dream Theater. He's got some incredible range.

I like(d) James and he has an incredible range, but he just doesn't use it often enough. Especially in recent years, his range has sort of plateaued and stagnated in one state. I'd like to see him use more highs and lows within a single song.

[snip]
Well, after the food poisoning thing his voice hasn't been as good. The only thing I wish he could do was hit the lower notes better. It always sounds weird to me when he does which is probably why Portnoy used to do a lot of it.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
David Gilmour from Pink Floyd
Cristina Scabbia & Andrea Ferro of Lacuna Coil
And i have always loved the versatility of Chris Cornell

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Oh yeah by the way does anyone know of other bands that have both a male & female singers like Lacuna Coil, i love to hear some new stuff.

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
Morrissey for sure!
Though I have to agree with whomever said Johnny Craig and Matt Berninger they are both amazing.

Pojo-san

Sep 21, 2010
I really enjoy Dero from Oomph! He is a very versatile singer and I can feel his passion when he sings. Not only that, but he writes a vast majority of their songs and plays the drums for the band. Whenever they do music videos or concerts, they have to have a stand in to play the drums so he can sing.

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjvl2Jz6GI "Sandmann" (Sandman)Sorry for the audio on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3kDk6yCS4&playnext=1&list=PL3C75B5B049088C2C&index=12 "Du Lügst" (You are Lying)

These are German songs but the links are to videos with English translations.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
There are a great many wonderful vocalists I'm familiar with that are worthy of recognition in a thread like this, but as those who know how my mind works will tell you, there's really only one answer I could possibly give: Jorn Lande. Essentially my internal hierarchy of vocalists has two categories - people who are Jorn Lande, and everyone else; he's not at the top of a list because he transcends that list entirely.

Veret

Apr 1, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Jorn Lande? Jorn Lande. Jorn Lande! (video)
Wow. So I was listening to that video while browsing other tabs, and when the vocals came in I had two thoughts: 1) "Ohmygod that's Russell Allen," and 2) "Ohmygod there is someone else in the world who can sing like Russell Allen?" Excuse me while I go listen to everything this man has ever done.

In the meantime, let me leave you guys with some music. Here are two of my favorite vocalists in the world (Russell Allen and Floor Jansen) singing a duo:

And I also like to use these threads to plug really talented but unknown singers. Here's Magali Luyten being a huge showoff:

And here's Helena Haaparanta showing us why Tacere should really only have one singer:

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Veret said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Jorn Lande? Jorn Lande. Jorn Lande! (video)
Wow. So I was listening to that video while browsing other tabs, and when the vocals came in I had two thoughts: 1) "Ohmygod that's Russell Allen," and 2) "Ohmygod there is someone else in the world who can sing like Russell Allen?" Excuse me while I go listen to everything this man has ever done.
That might take you a while - the man is ridiculously prolific, since 1994 he's been a lead or guest vocalist with 14 different groups (plus his own solo band) to the tune of 41 albums. You know what the best part of that song I posted is though? It's from the 3rd Allen/Lande album The Showdown - a side project put together by Magnus Karlson from Tribal Fear, so titled because it features the vocal talents of Jorn Lande and Russell Allen. Something tells me you might want to start your musical voyage there, given the whole "There's a band that has both those guys in it?!!" angle.[footnote]And since you weren't aware of that particular side project apparently, I would be remiss not to mention that Allen is one of the 4 vocalists that make up the Star One project (along with none other than Floor Jansen), just in case you didn't know that already.[/footnote]

In case you encounter any difficulty differentiating between their voices, Allen is singing on the first verse and Jorn on the second. At this point in my life I wouldn't ever confuse the two of them, but back when I first heard Allen/Lande I didn't realize it was two vocalists (Pandora mistakenly uses the bio from Allen's Atomic Soul solo album), and when I did get around to looking at an accurate biography of the band I still couldn't actually tell them apart - it took myriad repetitions through The Battle to learn that trick.

Veret said:
In the meantime, let me leave you guys with some music. Here are two of my favorite vocalists in the world (Russell Allen and Floor Jansen) singing a duo:

And I also like to use these threads to plug really talented but unknown singers. Here's Magali Luyten being a huge showoff:

And here's Helena Haaparanta showing us why Tacere should really only have one singer:

Beautiful Sin is a pretty sweet band, I've been a fan for a while, and I can't say enough good things about Floor Jansen and Russell Allen (or Sir Russell Allen as Arjen Lucassen always credits him when he records stuff on one of his projects). Can't say I'm familiar with Helena Haaparanta though, I shall have to give that song a listen once I've finished my repeat journey through Avantasia's "Wicked trilogy" (the latter two albums featuring vocal contributions from both Allen and Lande, with Lande performing on almost every track - yay!).

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Rammstein's Till Lindemann. I love the deep voice he has. Even if I didn't have an interest in the language, I'd still listen due to that.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Mr Fixit said:
Oh yeah by the way does anyone know of other bands that have both a male & female singers like Lacuna Coil, i love to hear some new stuff.
What's this I see? A question I am more than equipped to answer? Huzzah!

[small]I'm assuming here that when you say "like Lacuna Coil", you mean that you're looking for a combination of clean male vocals with clean female vocals - if you expand that out to include female vocals paired with growling though I could make this a much longer list, heh.[/small]
[hr]
Say hello to Beseech, a band that fit your criteria before it split up (to form two different bands):
[hr]

Delain doesn't have a regular male vocalist, but both their albums have so far featured male (and in the case of the first album, female) guest vocalists singing along with their vocalist Charlotte:
This particular track has Marco from Nightwish (and Tarot).[hr]
Nightwish on the other hand does have a regular male vocalist along with their female lead vocalist (though they don't sing together on necessarily every track):
[hr]
Edenbridge doesn't technically feature a male vocalist performing in tandem with their female lead, but it does use male backing vocals so often that it amounts to that in the end!
[hr]
Here's a band with three lead vocalists - Satyrian:
[hr]
Theatre of Tragedy is that group that essentially pioneered the "Beauty and the Beast" sub-genre within female-fronted Metal - later albums though feature male vocals throughout that, while not quite what you might term 'singing' per se, are not harsh vocals either:
[hr]
Therion has been on an extended "Rock Opera" kick for 5 albums or so, and as such has multiple male and female vocalists singing on any given track:
[hr]
Tristania originated as a very complex and operatic Gothic Metal outfit - their work always featured some combination of clean male vocals and female vocals, but the earlier stuff skewed heavily towards harsh vocals. Their most recent album though consists almost entirely of clean singing throughout:
[hr]
And lastly we have Visions Of Atlantis, another band that combines male and female vocals throughout their songs:

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
People will probably raeg at me for this, but I think Davey Havok of AFI has a good voice.
Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio is another for me. Can't be bothered posting vids.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Predictably, my favorite vocalist is Serj Tankian. Mainly because he has possibly the best range I have ever seen someone sing. From fast-paced metal singing, to screaming, to opera sounding vocals to incredibly high pitched.