Why Blade Runner Makes Guys Cry

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
You know, I really think this feature has promise, not a bad idea at all. And since you already sort of departed from the whole "guy movie" thing (blade runner does have action and stuff, but everyone knows that's not what it's about), you can pick pretty much any movie you want. But there's definitely some improvement possible, some of which has been offered in the comments already.

My personal real "problem" is with the references you use. You refer to the replicants as cylons, but BSG (the reboot, which is what you will make people think of when referencing it) is a fairly new show compared to Blade runner. Then there's "Firefly meets Fifth Element", which is just weird...since when is it acceptable to describe an older work using two vaguely relevant new works? It could just be me, but it really gives a confused feeling to the whole piece. Work to be done here, but definitely worth doing it.

Venetia

Jul 18, 2014
Roy's appreciation of life for itself was a very touching and inspiring moment. A Zen-like instance of him accepting something above his own concerns. And perhaps the audience is encouraged to embrace the gravity of this from an earlier scene between Deckard and Rachael. When Deckard asks her if she trusts and loves him the film draws us a line in the sand. That moment any of us can feel when our self-esteem has been placed in the gravest of danger. The fear and dread of rejection and loss as another decides our fate.

You say Deckard is left with a dazed expression at Roy's action. Mayhap through Roy's altruism we are all again taken out of ourselves, characters and audience alike, to being aware of more. Perhaps Roy learned to live a moment, rather than worry over how many he had left. And, in our case, we then took (can take) the courage or pause to build love or acceptance.

By the by, if you have a penchant for this sort of magical moment in film, take a peek at the 1982 (same year as Blade Runner) Russian international film Vokzal dlya dvoikh (A Station for Two). If your hanky stays dry at the end, then I'd have to a quote a recent Japanese wife who took exception to her husband's indifference to Frozen. She rounded on him and said '?there must be something wrong with you as a human being!' She then demanded a divorce. In my case, well?we aren't married yet.