Why Call of Duty may possibly be the best multiplayer shooter.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
No, I'm not trolling. Yes, I know CoD has a lof of flaws, and is downright stupid at some times. But what makes Call of Duty so great as a multiplayer game is that it's so easy that anyone can play it. You know, not everyone has to be an awesome or regular gamer to play and enjoy a game. Games like Battlefield and Halo are good yes, but I would think that for a casual game night with some family or something, they wouldn't really be suitable.

I'm not saying that CoD is a family game, hell no it isn't, but pretty much anyone can pick it up and play it. My sister (though she sucks) enjoys playing it. My stepdad, who never plays games, enjoys the odd game of CoD. I'm in no way saying it's the best shooter, but it's the overall best multiplayer, because anyone can play and enjoy it. Isn't that what gaming is about? Having fun, playing with people you know, and enjoying it?

TL;DR For people:
CoD is the best multiplayer shooter because pretty much anyone can play it.

Thoughts?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Sure, anyone can pick-up-and-play it, but can they live longer than 3 seconds without being killed by some damn spawner?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
No, because clearly CoD is for 14 year asshats and anyone who disagrees with anyone who thinks this is just a moronic fanboy.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Have you ever played CoD multiplayer? Has it EVER been pleasant for you? Let's just say the whole pick up and play aspect isn't always a good thing.

Although, I do feel I should give your point of view some credit. Because of the pick up and play aspect it could be the best multiplayer game, IN THEORY. But that doesn't work because of the people who tend to be playing.

ViralBiae

Oct 26, 2011
I don't think that anyone being able to play a game should be the only qualifier for GOTY status. People can be capable of enjoying what a professional might dub as shlock (see Twilight for example, which despite being critically panned by most professional writers enjoys millions of sales and hardcore fans). I think that the keys to a great multiplayer game are evolution and inclusiveness. A meta-game involved with the game for example, where players can & will develop different strategies based around weapons, maps and strategic positioning, and as those strategies become prevalent the players will form strategies to counter the most popular strategies. But that also despite these prevalent strategies and strategising, jumping into the game and learning is easy.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pretty much anyone can pick up a sausage roll and eat it.

Does that make it the best savoury food of all time?
Yes, yes it does. Because when someone picks one up to eat it I can make the quip 'Yes, you do like sausage in your mouth don't you?' and feel like the most intelligent man in the room for a few moments. It's a small victory, but a victory none the less.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
kian525 said:
i agree with you, cod is way too underrated. people hate the players, not the game.
No, people hate the players, the developers, the publisher, many of the gameplay features, and the websites and reviewers who seem to praise the flawed games at every turn and reward mediocrity with extremely high scores.

But I will admit, I do enjoy me some COD. It's just so goddamn addictive, despite all the flaws and imbalances.

King7s

Dec 13, 2009
CoD is the best multiplayer shooter because pretty much anyone can play it.
And most of those filthy casuals are the reason The CoD community is so shit

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Goldeneye 007 is the best multiplayer shooter, lets be honest here. Nothing beats having the asshole who is killing you being within reach!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pretty much anyone can pick up a sausage roll and eat it.

Does that make it the best savoury food of all time?
Yes, if it uses the most savory ingredients and is made to perfection. ;)

OT: I wouldn't say COD is the "best multiplayer shooter" (of course, I might be biased, considering my vice is good ol' Hat Team Fortress 2). I wouldn't even say it is the easiest to pick up and play (Halo is just as easy). It is good (quite good), but it is no-where the best...

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Irridium said:
But does it have hats?
He's right. Sorry, bro.

I mean, sure, it's a good shooter. Heck, I'm playing Black Ops right now, But with this "Everybody can play it" vibe, everyone buys it.

And I mean EVERYONE. Ted from accounting, Janet down the street, your local crack dealer Jeffery, Little Timmy from next door, everyone.

Too many different people of different skill levels make the community a vicious monster, and a lot of these players could be bad people in real life. That's why we have the trolls, racists, campers, ten-year-old tea-baggers, you get the idea. Everyone who plays wants to bag on the other players for some strange, appealing reason.

Yes, it's a fantastic shooter, but what makes the game bad is the community.

Great North

Feb 3, 2010
kian525 said:
i agree with you, cod is way too underrated. people hate the players, not the game.
I'm sorry is this some kind of joke? Way too under-rated? There are LEGIONS of bros the swear by its fucking name (end_hyperbole). How can a game possibly be under-rated when it has sold as many copies as CoD has? Either its over-rated or its getting exactly what it deserves. How can the opposite be true?

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
CoD is not the best because anyone can pick up and play. What does that mean, the players who invest heavily in a game aren't to be rewarded? Or does that mean that you think ANY player can actually compete with the veterans? Either way, in my eyes, your argument is flawed and shallow.