Why Can't A Kingdom Hearts Sequel Get Released On A Console I Own.

Oct 9, 2009
Good News, a new KH game is coming out, Bad news... once again its on a console I don't own.

I'm a HUGE KH fan, so big i actually spent decent money on a metal keyblade at a con, but i'm starting to get annoyed here. 3 times have they released a new KH game, and three times has it NOT been on the PS2 or PS3. I understand that they will release games to hand held consoles in between game sequels, and generally they don't have that much important information OR nothing really big happens in that particular CANNON. IE Ratchet And Clank. You can rock the PS2/PS3 games and never get any reference to anything released on a handheld in the over all character arch. KH is not only releasing games on hand held consoles, but they are also doing working it into the over all cannon!

When KH 365/2 came out on the DS I was annoyed, but i figured they do the same thing they did with COM, release a version on the PS3. Then they released Birth By Sleep on the PSP, a game previewed at the END of the second PS2 GAME... NOW another sequel is coming out and its on the 3DS..... COME ON GUYS!!!

This is starting to piss me off, almost to the point of making me want to hang up my hat as a KH fan. I understand that Any company exists to make business. I also understand making a sequel to a game that was popular is also a business move to make more money off of the fans of the first game, and maybe bring in new fans and get them to buy the game that came before it... but this is wrong, almost unethical to the point of needing to add new business ethic laws to prevent this shit from happening again. I don't own a Nintendo DS, I don't own a PSP, and I do not own a Nintendo 3DS... I wanna get my KHs ON without having to buy a friggin hand held console! And with each sequel coming out on a NEW console, it feels like they are doing more than trying to earn pennies on a new KH game... they are trying to earn dollars on top of those pennies getting me to buy hand held consoles i'm NOT that interested in. I've looked at the DS, PSP, and 3DS games... they really dont interest me, So why would i go out and buy them for just ONE damn game! STOP IT!

Does anyone agree?

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I gave up on that series a long time ago. It seems Kingdom Hearts 3 is lost in that same purgatory as Final Fantasy Versus XIII and these past few years have made me question my faith in Square-Enix's ability to make good decisions and good JRPG's.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I personally don't care. I'm only a casual fan of the series. And even if I wasn't, I own every system their games have come out on sans the 3DS. And from what I hear, at least the games on DS are kind of awful, and add some understanding, but are not completely needed.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I gave up once the storyline became impenetrable (i.e. after and somwhat during KHII).

Releasing games simultaneously on the PSP and the DS didn't help matters.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
I played the CRAP out of KH on the PS2. I never did play KH2, though, and Im fine with that. I love the characters andstory n the first KH. The story wrapped up rather nicely and it had an amazingly beautiful theme song (simple and clean). KH is now a fond memory that I dont want a shitty sequel to come out and ruin.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Work with what you got I suppose. SquareEnix released KH on the PS2 because they seem to enjoyed releasing their current Final Fantasy(ies? ys?) on the Sony Playstation. But when the GBA came out I guess they saw the nostalgia of the FFs they released on the SNES/NES so they made the first interlude of the series Chain of Memories which was odd but I dealt with it. Then they pleased everyone who flipped out over that by making KH2 for the PS2. Then Sony made the PSP and SquareEnix were probably like, "We gotta make Final Fantasy for that. What would Nintendo do. Well lets see men like fighting games. Popular characters fighting it out. Lets make our own version of BRAWL :D" so they release Dissidia. While they were at it they realized "Oh bugger, there is now a Final Fantasy on the PSP which means we HAVE to add Birth By Sleep on it now." To which one of the employers went "But should we just give them the Remake of Chain of Memories on the PSP? After all it is much simpler and we could probably do more with Birth By Sleep on the PS2 anyway" to which they responded "NONESENSE onto the PSP with you Birth By Sleep." then it went out for dinner with Nintendo who said "You know what the DS and all of it's siblings need another Kingdom Hearts!" to which Square responded "You know what Kingdom Hearts need?" to which the sober Playstation said "Finally a sequel?" to which Square yelled "Another interlude! Lets show what Roxas did on the days he was in the Organization." To which Playstation proceeded to walk out without buying anything while Nintendo said "By the way, just between me and you I'm releasing a 3DS in the futu--" "Kingdom Hearts 3DS!" "But..." "And you'll get Re:Coded on the DS as well." and two friend laughed merrily away.

...Wait what?

I forgot where I was going with this. I suppose this is how it all went down in my head.

tl;dr: Kingdom Hearts seems to had the fun of being on the Playstation but swiftly hugging Nintendo for all it's needs afterwards. Probably because Square is too busy making a sequel to FFXIII and don't feel like putting their money more usefully into the final KH we all want. Alright that's generalizing. That at least I want.

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
Bouncing Ferret FIlm said:
I'm a HUGE KH fan, so big i actually spent decent money on a metal keyblade at a con, but i'm starting to get annoyed here. 3 times have they released a new KH game, and three times has it NOT been on the PS2 or PS3. I understand that they will release games to hand held consoles in between game sequels, and generally they don't have that much important information OR nothing really big happens in that particular CANNON. IE Ratchet And Clank. You can rock the PS2/PS3 games and never get any reference to anything released on a handheld in the over all character arch. KH is not only releasing games on hand held consoles, but they are also doing working it into the over all cannon!

When KH 365/2 came out on the DS I was annoyed, but i figured they do the same thing they did with COM, release a version on the PS3. Then they released Birth By Sleep on the PSP, a game previewed at the END of the second PS2 GAME... NOW another sequel is coming out and its on the 3DS..... COME ON GUYS!!!
Yeah, all of the hand held ones have been quite story intensive. Chain of memories didn't seem it at the time. It seemed like a filler arc to explain why time had passed in between the games, but Namine was brought back to play a larger role in KH2. 365/2 was actually a really interesting game with how they went about explaining how the organization worked and actually set the timeline for everything that was happening. Birth by sleep, which is the explanation to everything that's happening in KH. I didn't expect it to be the game that attempts to fill in all the origins at once. It was quite a shock.

I guess I would be upset but I make it a point to save up and buy every system out there. If I ever decide to get a 3ds I'll have them all again, but there's no real drive for that one.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Silenthillreturnz said:
Its so far not even released in any console right now
Have you forgotten about KH1 and KH2, both of which were released on the PS2? I can hardly blame you for forgetting though, we've also seen KH games on the GBA, PSP, DS, mobile phones, and now the 3DS, so it is rather confusing.

I agree with the OP that Square really needs to do their fanbase a favor and 1) Release a Kingdom Hearts game on a proper console, which by now we more than deserve, and 2) Pick a console or at least console COMPANY and stick with it. Jumping around between Sony and Nintendo is just obnoxious and insulting. Only ONE pair the games in this series can actually be played on the same console (three if you want to include the CoM remake). Otherwise every other game gets its own console. That is absolutely ridiculous.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
I agree entirely with you. It's the disparate inconsistency in the platforms of the titles that bugs me the most about these games; even more so than (my current perception, hope it changes) the shitty fangirl-bait quasi-philomasofikal plot.

The main AC games are all on the same consoles. The main Yakuza games are on the same platform. The main Call of Duty games are on the same consoles. Why would you put "story-important" sequels and prequels on consoles people may or may not have?

"Kingdom Hearts can eat a Pink-Floyd sized wall of phallus."

...is what I want to say....But I can't deny I'm excited a bit for Dream Drop Distance. I have such a resentment towards how terrible the story became in the KH2-and-beyond days, but that hasn't changed that I've always loved the combat, cutscenes, acting, and animation in these games. I've heard I don't have to play the DS ones or the Mobile ones to get the main story. Only KH1, 2, Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, and this one count towards the immediate story. How true is that? I've really been wanting to give the KH story a second chance but I will not if I have to play stupid side-games-that-are-actually-important-so-pay-attention on the Turbografx 16.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
I agree entirely with you. It's the disparate inconsistency in the platforms of the titles that bugs me the most about these games; even more so than (my current perception, hope it changes) the shitty fangirl-bait quasi-philomasofikal plot.

The main AC games are all on the same consoles. The main Yakuza games are on the same platform. The main Call of Duty games are on the same consoles. Why would you put "story-important" sequels and prequels on consoles people may or may not have?

...is what I want to say....But I can't deny I'm excited a bit for Dream Drop Distance. I have such a resentment towards how terrible the story became in the KH2-and-beyond days, but that hasn't changed that I've always loved the combat, cutscenes, acting, and animation in these games. I've heard I don't have to play the DS ones or the Mobile ones to get the main story. Only KH1, 2, Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, and this one count towards the immediate story. How true is that? I've really been wanting to give the KH story a second chance but I will not if I have to play stupid side-games-that-are-actually-important-so-pay-attention on the Turbografx 16.
What exactly is so bad about the story?

I happen to love it

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Agree that they make it difficult for fans of the series to keep following them.

I loved the first kingdom hearts and was ready to really devote myself to the series, buy each new game as they come out, etc...

But when I bought kh2 I was dumbstruck as to what happened between kh1 and kh2 and simply could not follow the plot in kh2 at all. Enjoyed the mechanics of the game but by the time I had finished it, was utterly confused and didn't "get" the plot and what was happening anymore. And so just as quickly the first kh converted me, the second dispelled the hold the series had over me and have not given a damn since.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
3DS? *rages with gratuitous use of the F word*

Me and my wife are a KH fan couple. we've cosplayed them at conventions we've got non game KH products in our house and we bought a DS for 365/2 days and we got lucky and got a free PSP to play birth by sleep... we even got recoded. but i don't think we're gonna be able to swing a 3DS. Our budget is tight as it is. geez, why don't they just make kingdom hearts 3 already.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
Well, I have all platforms, so this is not an issue for me, but I can understand that people that can't or won't buy every system can be pissed off.

If it serves you, "Days" did add some interesting story background details, but it's not an "almost-deal-breaker" like "Chain of Memories" was. COM was not a spin-off, but rather "Kingdom Hearts II-but-we-put-a-different-name-because-we-already-have-other-game-in-development-with-that-name-and-we-don't-want-to-call-the-next-PS2-game-"Kingdom-Hearts-III".

Well, who knows. Maybe in a HD compilation or something?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
AyreonMaiden said:
I've heard I don't have to play the DS ones or the Mobile ones to get the main story. Only KH1, 2, Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, and this one count towards the immediate story. How true is that? I've really been wanting to give the KH story a second chance but I will not if I have to play stupid side-games-that-are-actually-important-so-pay-attention on the Turbografx 16.
1 and 2 are nessecary. Chain of memories helps 2 alot, introducing namine, roxas, axel, Diz, and orgization 13 although i played 2 without playing chain of memories and was able to get along fine after a short adjustment period. Birth by Sleep is a prequel that is fun if nothing else although i don't know that it contributes much to the story other than explaining why mickey, Riku, kairi, roxas and others seem to have a keyblade even though sora is the "keyblade master." I think it also some other plot points which are sorta explained and made. 365/2 was fan service for roxas if you really wanted it, also play as your favorite org13 members if you want.

and then recoded was a massive waste of time.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
anthony87 said:
AyreonMaiden said:

What exactly is so bad about the story?

I happen to love it
I really hate the focus. I hate that it's focusing on the worst trends (for my money) of anime and Japanese media. Melodramatic philosophic waxing, cheesy writing...and just odd plot devices...How many clones of Roxas are we up to now? How many Sora look-alikes? Is it Namine or Xion or who (today, I mean. it might change tomorrow) is Kairi's nobody? Why does the Organization pretend to "feel" even though they say they don't "feel" any emotions? Wouldn't you have to "FEEL" something in order to compel you to act like you're "feeling?" AND WHY, IF ALL THOSE QUESTIONS HAVE ANSWERS, ARE THEY IN SIDEGAMES THAT I'M MORE LIKELY TO IGNORE? WHY DO I NEED TO PLAY THE GAMEBOY GAME TO KNOW WHY THERE ARE LESS THAN 13 ORG XIII MEMBERS PRESENT IN KH2?

Speaking of KH2, why is the back half of that game boiled down to "playing cupid between the main couples?" Did they suddenly realize that anime fangirls bought your game in droves? That must be it. That HAS to explain it. What about Xemnas and Xehanort and Ansem? What's what and who's who? AGAIN, IF I HAVE TO BUY A PSP OR A DS FOR ANSWERS TO (pretty fkin big, at least for my suspension of disbelief) QUESTIONS RAISED IN THE MAIN CONSOLE GAMES, THEN WHY EVEN HINT AT IT.

I didn't get a feeling of "Disney innocence crossed with Square cool" like I did in the first game. I got a feeling of "Square cheesiness shoehorned into Disney things" about the whole thing. I'm sure I got a lot of things wrong and a lot of my questions have answers. I admit, it's been years and this isn't a hyper-detailed retrospective look, but honestly, I want to be wrong. I wanna like this series again, but I have no clue where to start and stop. I turned on Tales of Symphonia the other day, and sold it after an hour. How did I, 4 years ago, ever bury 60 hours into "GOODNESS AND LOVE WILL ALWAYS WIN?" and COLETTE BRUNEL OF ALL PEOPLE? I hated that feeling of leaving behind something I once thought was cool, ya know?