Why can't people take a joke?

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
Do you know someone who always makes crude remarks or jokes, but if you even mutter the slightest one back at said person they will flip shit at you. If you do Let's hear some stories!
Mine was in class and this White kkk American History X looking kid kept on saying stupid remarks to me. So Rebuttal with a very witty mom joke (Not really) and the kid throws his book and leaves the class room. I look around the room and I wonder what the fuck just happened.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Sometimes they don't find it funny.
Sometimes they are stupid.
Sometimes the joke was poorly delivered.
And sometimes the joke just plain sucks.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I would tell you to apologize but if she got offended that easily she might not listen. I dunno, find a way to try and make it up to her if it really makes you feel bad. Heck, tell your friend to try and convince her you're not a bad guy, she should listen to him.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Duffeknol said:
If she doesn't know that phrase she should really get out some more. Tell your friend to not date autistic people. Doesn't end well.
I take offense at that statement. We may not be as up and up on social interaction as neurotypicals, but we are perfectly capable of healthy functional relationships.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Depends how well you put it across, although that's such a widespread phrase that I can't believe she didn't get it if that's exactly how it happened (which I doubt, somewhat).

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Duffeknol said:
If she doesn't know that phrase she should really get out some more. Tell your friend to not date autistic people. Doesn't end well.
I take offense at that statement. We may not be as up and up on social interaction as neurotypicals, but we are perfectly capable of healthy functional relationships.
Read thread title.

And no you aren't. Functional yes, healthy no.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
That one actually sounds like your bad. Joking or not, referring to any girl as a "hoe" is one hell of a beginner's mistake. It's kind of like jokingly calling a black man the "N" word. Just because you're joking doesn't mean you can get away with it.

If I were you, I'd admit my mistake and apologize to her, explain that you didn't think things through, and you won't do it again. Or, you could do the immature thing and try to make her the bad guy for "not having a sense of humor," and just deal with her and her friends being mad at you. Your call.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
That's when you introduce your friend's girlfriend to your five friends named "finger" and their best bud "palm."

Ok, but seriously, you have to realize women are delicate little flowers and even the little thing pisses them off.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Just be a Man and apologies and explain it was a joke. If she's still funny about it, sod her, her loss.

Apr 28, 2008
Learn from A Pimp Named Slickback.

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Duffeknol said:
And here's an example.

Seriously, people LOVE to be offended. It gives them power because they believe it should make you feel awful for saying it.

frost.mage.mari

Nov 13, 2010
In this case, i'd say that the joke was chosen very poorly. Like many others have said, i'd apologize and explain it was a joke.

In general though, people aren't able to take jokes all that much because people are being raised to be more "sensitive". And not the good sensitive where you can empithize with someone's feelings or see beauty in things.

People are being raised, as well as trained to think that any joke, comment or remark is a sort of personal attack against them. Then when you add to the fact that everything is becoming politically correct, even your own personal view point becomes offensive because it runs counter to what someone else thinks and therefore shouldn't be publicized.

Alot of people in the world need 'tougher skin', but alot of people also need to learn that just because people don't like the joke or are made angry by an insensitive comment that it's the their fault.

Anyway, that's my two cents.