Why can't we have both?

Jack Joe Tip Toe

Jul 19, 2010
Every other forum I go to I see someone trying to prove why PCs or Consoles are the best. What puzzles me is that people really ignore what the true master race is. Not the PC. Not the Consoles. But having BOTH! PC has the better service and mods. And consoles have first-party games and accessibility. But if I like having a console I'm not a "true" gamer. If I like PC games I'm a douche. So I now I ask all of you, why can't we have both?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Because console wars.

Because some people think "it's technologically better" is a legitimate argument.

Because some people feel insecure about their purchasing decisions when they see they see other people who hold the opposite opinions that they have.

Because some people think other people are just irresponsible with their cash, and must be stupid because they could do everything on a budget so everyone else must be able to do the exact same thing.

Because some men just want to watch the world burn.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
What is this madness? Next thing you'll be telling us that we can have BOTH hard and soft tacos... MADNESS!

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I own Both, and I fail to see why you shouldn't have both, especially if you have a passion for gaming.

Being able to Play a huge game of CIV 5 on my PC, then having a bash on the Last of Us on the PS3 is real gaming heaven.

Plus, what so masterful about PC gaming anyway, you just buy one PC, get a few parts every so often and that's it. The real Master Race (TM) comes from people who collect Arcade boards, and have their own Jamma Machines, and even multiple dedicated machines to run certain games (Sega Naomi, Neo-Geo MVS 6 Slots ect). With that you need the room, a fuckton of money, and mostly a very big determination. Far more regular maintenance, and cleaning as well (stuff like broken traces, bad caps, are common place in arcade collecting)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Because it's really expensive.

It's beyond a lot of people's budgets to have both a console and a PC that can play games effectively (particular if they normally use laptops for their non-game PC stuff). And whenever there's a situation where most people are forced into choosing one thing and then they get locked into that thing for a long time, then there's always a lot of heated discussion over which is better.

It's the same reason for the console wars. Sure you could technically buy both, but thats beyond what most people are willing/can pay for a device to play games

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
PC elitists view console gamers as holding the PC platform back, and some console gamers are probably insecure about their inability to pay for a PC or inability to handle the extra complexities that go along with PC. Obviously, there are still a lot of PC gamers that have respect for console gamers but simply prefer PC, and there are a lot of console gamers that just simply prefer a console or are content and happy with it, even if they'd prefer a PC. Then there are the people that play on both. The PC elitist and insecure console gamers are really the minority of their respective platforms, but they tend to be very loud and like being memorably obnoxious as they spew out their elitist/insecure bile.

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
because if we can't argue about our consoles we'd have to argue about our TV's XD in all seriousness theres no reason not to have both if you can afford to. If you can't afford both then just buy whatever you like/will get the most fun out of

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Because it's beyond a lot of people's budgets to have both a console and a PC that can play games effectively (particular if they normally use laptops for their non-game PC stuff). And whenever there's a situation where most people are forced into choosing one thing and then they get locked into that thing for a long time, then there's always a lot of heated discussion over which is better.

It's the same reason for the console wars. Sure you could technically buy both, but thats beyond what most people are willing/can pay for a device to play games
I'm on benefits, and still able to afford everything I want, even if i do have to wait a month or two to obtain it. Hell, I live in a flat, and have to pay bills, food ect.

I think it's just a case of people just being ignorant to all the choices they can have, and wanting to be in a special club. Which all they are doing is missing out on a huge selection of games.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
BrotherRool said:
Because it's beyond a lot of people's budgets to have both a console and a PC that can play games effectively (particular if they normally use laptops for their non-game PC stuff). And whenever there's a situation where most people are forced into choosing one thing and then they get locked into that thing for a long time, then there's always a lot of heated discussion over which is better.

I'm on benefits, and still able to afford everything I want, even if i do have to wait a month or two to obtain it. Hell, I live in a flat, and have to pay bills, food ect.

I think it's just a case of people just being ignorant to all the choices they can have, and wanting to be in a special club. Which all they are doing is missing out on a huge selection of games.
No, I can't afford both. Or I think it far too much to spend close to a thousand pounds on just being able to play games. And I know lots of people who struggle over even being able to afford one console, so arguing that people are ignorant for not buying a console and a gaming PC is a little bit presumptive

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I've said it before, but I'll say it again; because arguing is fun. Forming cliques and trying to club other cliques to death is part and parcel of human nature. We've just evolved the concept to a point where we type mean things at each other instead of hitting each other with big rocks, which I'm pretty sure is an improvement (I'm far too lazy to go around hitting people with rocks).

Saying "have both" is valid, and is probably what a good number of people do, but that isn't fun, so screw, choose your side and unto the breach you go. Especially if someone comes on a board and says 'I haven't got the money to afford a new console and a decent gaming PC, which should I choose?". There are converts to win, by God! Ready the cannons, rally the cavalry, deploy the tech comparisons, run the price-per-year analysis; we will have this poster for our own cause it means we're better.

There are some practical benefits to one massively besting the other in sales, mainly in the form of more dev attention, more exclusives, and less wait time for patches and ports, but no amount of internet arguing is going to achieve that kind of dominance for either group, so it's mostly for it's own sake.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Jazoni89 said:
BrotherRool said:

No, I can't afford both. Or I think it far too much to spend close to a thousand pounds on just being able to play games. And I know lots of people who struggle over even being able to afford one console, so arguing that people are ignorant for not buying a console and a gaming PC is a little bit presumptive
Well I shown you that it can be done on a low budget, it's just up to the people who are willing to part with their cash. If gamers aren't willing to shake a few notes then what's the point. You don't need to have the best PC ever with 16GB of RAM and two SLI GTX Titans, it's pointless, and defeats the whole point of gaming, and that's to play games, not having Metro Last Light banged up to max with everything, as it's still the same damn game on console.

They shouldn't even be getting into the hobby in the first place if they haven't got enough disposable income in the first place. Otherwise you would be pawning your PS3, or PC all the time just to pay to live for a week. I know people who had to do that, even going as far as pawning a old snes for cash.

Also, you don't buy anything in one go, you just buy it gradually. That's how I got everything.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
Well I shown you that it can be done on a low budget, it's just up to the people who are willing to part with their cash. If gamers aren't willing to shake a few notes then what's the point.

They shouldn't even be getting into the hobby in the first place if they haven't got enough disposable income in the first place. Otherwise you would be pawning your PS3, or PC all the time just to pay to live for a week. I know people who had to do that, even going as far as pawning a old snes for cash.

Also, you don't buy anything in one go, you just buy it gradually. That's how I got everything.
You've got low budgets, other people can't pay their mortgage. There's big difference. Or when you're struggling to make sure your children are well clothed and doing all the activities they want to, then it doesn't seem responsible to buy 2 machines for gaming. Or maybe there's a large group of people who enjoy gaming but don't feel like they love it so much they want to pay 400 pounds for a device when they've already got one machine that does them fine.

Or maybe they belong to the group of people who don't buy more than say 12 games a year, in which case it's stupid to buy two machines to play them on when there are more games than you want to play on one.

You're making stringent demands for something which is just one form of entertainment for most people and those are fairly large generalisations about people's circumstances. It's not like buying a gaming PC is giving money to people dying of malaria or anything. There are many many many things I would rather do and should do with money before spending them on a second gaming machine

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Jazoni89 said:
Well I shown you that it can be done on a low budget, it's just up to the people who are willing to part with their cash. If gamers aren't willing to shake a few notes then what's the point.

You've got low budgets, other people can't pay their mortgage. There's big difference. Or when you're struggling to make sure your children are well clothed and doing all the activities they want to, then it doesn't seem responsible to buy 2 machines for gaming. Or maybe there's a large group of people who enjoy gaming but don't feel like they love it so much they want to pay 400 pounds for a device when they've already got one machine that does them fine.

Or maybe they belong to the group of people who don't buy more than say 12 games a year, in which case it's stupid to buy two machines to play them on when there are more games than you want to play on one.

You're making stringent demands for something which is just one form of entertainment for most people and those are fairly large generalisations about people's circumstances. It's not like buying a gaming PC is giving money to people dying of malaria or anything. There are many many many things I would rather do and should do with money before spending them on a second gaming machine
It's my personal experience, and i know that factors can benefit in not getting what you want to get (I would like a better Processor for my PC for example).

I didn't mean to generalize, and I apologize, but the way i see it, you shouldn't exclude yourself, or be ignorant to these different experiences if you can help it. As they say, Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

For example, You can't play the Last of Us on your PC, and it's considered a potential GOTY for a reason. PC Gamers are by large, missing out on such a exceptional game.

Rickin10

Mar 16, 2013
You, Sir speak too much sense! Be gone with you!

Although I think the gaming community is arguably as united as it's ever been. PC, PS4, Wii U, Handheld fans all united in hatred for the Xbone.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
It's my personal experience, and i know that factors can benefit in not getting what you want to get (I would like a better Processor for my PC for example).

I didn't mean to generalize, but the way i see it, you shouldn't exclude yourself, or be ignorant to these different experiences if you can help it. As they say, Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

For example, You can't play the Last of Us on your PC, and it's considered a potential GOTY for a reason. PC Gamers are by large, missing out on such a exceptional game.
But we all put different values on games right? And you really value them which is awesome, but if you even value games a little less then it becomes really expensive to try and purchase both. On the PS3 I want to buy this year: Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, FFX HD, FFXIII-3, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age II, inFamous 1, Catherine, Arkhum City , Spec Ops, DMC HD Trilogy, Journey, Folklore.

But the way I value games and the way I value money and the money that I have means it's only reasonable to buy 3 more games _max_ this year and even that will feel a little extravagant. With those sort of values it's completely out of the picture to buy a PC that can play anything that came out in say the last 2-3 years. (Especially since the mobility of a laptop has a huge amount of value to me. And buying even an expensive gaming laptop is a dicey business)

It's very cool to be able to have both and to be able to samples the rich variety of games available on all the platforms, but you either have to be pretty well off or extremely dedicated for the numbers to work out, and for a large number of people, the desire isn't great enough or the numbers are too low and that's why large amounts of people only have 1 and for them it's only sensible to have 1.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Jazoni89 said:

I didn't mean to generalize, but the way i see it, you shouldn't exclude yourself, or be ignorant to these different experiences if you can help it. As they say, Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

But we all put different values on games right? And you really value them which is awesome, but if you even value games a little less then it becomes really expensive to try and purchase both. On the PS3 I want to buy this year: Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, FFX HD, FFXIII-3, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age II, inFamous 1, Catherine, Arkhum City , Spec Ops, DMC HD Trilogy, Journey, Folklore.

But the way I value games and the way I value money and the money that I have means it's only reasonable to buy 3 more games _max_ this year and even that will feel a little extravagant. With those sort of values it's completely out of the picture to buy a PC that can play anything that came out in say the last 2-3 years. (Especially since the mobility of a laptop has a huge amount of value to me. And buying even an expensive gaming laptop is a dicey business)

It's very cool to be able to have both and to be able to samples the rich variety of games available on all the platforms, but you either have to be pretty well off or extremely dedicated for the numbers to work out, and for a large number of people, the desire isn't great enough or the numbers are too low and that's why large amounts of people only have 1 and for them it's only sensible to have 1.
That's seems a fair point, but it could just be me, i can't see why anyone would own just one, as I've owned multiple systems since a young age, and never been rich at all, so it's just a strange concept to me. Even if one owned a PC, and a cheap ass PS2 from somewhere say CEX, surely this isn't going to break everyone's wallets, and variety would still be there, along with the thousands of brilliant ps2 games one can play.

Acknowledging other people situations when it comes to entertainment/luxury purchases has been a hard thing for me to process in my mind.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Because people are poor. However I don't see that as an excuse, it's about where your priorities lie. If you wait for prices to go down, you don't get to play the games on release day but you save money. My friend got her PC and PS3 for $700 total, that's just a little more than what a new PS3 cost when they came out. Not to mention you save a lot on games when you're buying older ones than $60 ones.

tilmoph said:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again; because arguing is fun. Forming cliques and trying to club other cliques to death is part and parcel of human nature. We've just evolved the concept to a point where we type mean things at each other instead of hitting each other with big rocks, which I'm pretty sure is an improvement (I'm far too lazy to go around hitting people with rocks).

Saying "have both" is valid, and is probably what a good number of people do, but that isn't fun, so screw, choose your side and unto the breach you go. Especially if someone comes on a board and says 'I haven't got the money to afford a new console and a decent gaming PC, which should I choose?". There are converts to win, by God! Ready the cannons, rally the cavalry, deploy the tech comparisons, run the price-per-year analysis; we will have this poster for our own cause it means we're better.

There are some practical benefits to one massively besting the other in sales, mainly in the form of more dev attention, more exclusives, and less wait time for patches and ports, but no amount of internet arguing is going to achieve that kind of dominance for either group, so it's mostly for it's own sake.
And this. I'll jump in the flame wars and fight for the losing side since I have and enjoy both. Unless I'm complaining about DRM, then my hatred is genuine.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
That's seems a fair point, but it could just be me, i can't see why anyone would own just one, as I've owned multiple systems since a young age, and never been rich at all, so it's just a strange concept to me. Even if one owned a PC, and a cheap ass PS2 from somewhere say CEX, surely this isn't going to break everyone's wallets, and variety would still be there, along with the thousands of brilliant ps2 games one can play.

Acknowledging other people situations when it comes to entertainment/luxury purchases has been a hard thing for me to process in my mind.
I guess if you only play certain indie games and old PC titles, having some sort of cheap PC combined with a console would be normal for most people. But you're not going to be playing Starcraft 2 or anything. But I think for most people, they don't even buy all the games they want to buy, never mind a different platform to play certain games on. It's not just me, my friend for example, wouldn't buy Tomb Raider despite wanting it, because he knew he would want to be The Last of Us when it was released and felt that he couldn't afford to buy both. It's a reason a lot of people use for why FIFA and CoD are so popular, because they find it hard to justify buying a lot of games in a year that you'll only play for 10-20 hours.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
why cant we have both consoles and PCs? well im not made out of money which is why i dont intend to get a console this generation