Why did people forget about "The Darkness"?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
So my roommate got "The Darkness" for $3 over the break and now I am trying it out. Honestly, I can't figure out why this game isn't remembered at all. If I remember the dates correctly, this is the first game Yahtzee did a review on, but no one seems to remember it. It has a pretty immersible game world compared to other games.

I guess the question for discussion is: Have you ever played "The Darkness" or another game you found fun, but that the rest of the world forgot about?

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Arluza said:
So my roommate got "The Darkness" for $3 over the break and now I am trying it out. Honestly, I can't figure out why this game isn't remembered at all. If I remember the dates correctly, this is the first game Yahtzee did a review on, but no one seems to remember it. It has a pretty immersible game world compared to other games.

I guess the question for discussion is: Have you ever played "The Darkness" or another game you found fun, but that the rest of the world forgot about?
Looking at your post count, I assume you haven't been here long.

I have seen alot of praise for the Darkness on these forums in the past.

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
I loved "The Darkness", but I thought it was way too short. I remember it got plenty of good reviews. I've heard about a sequel in the works but I don't know much about it

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
The Darkness are a band too. pretty good.
anyway, It was pretty good game.
although, people seem to have forgotten R.U.S.E :[

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I played it, and I liked it. The last Darkness Power kinda broke the game, but it wasn't too bad. My favourite scene has got to be the one with the mugger. This dude comes out of nowhere and demands me to give him my money. What did I do? I impaled him with a black tentacle of darkness, and ate his heart.

Now that's awesome right there.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I picked it up from the bargin bin and really did enjoy it.The darkness powers were cool and I liked the little side quests but overall it was just kinda average IMO.Though I wouldn't mind a sequel.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
It was good, although I still don't get the ending.

I can only remember little bits of the game, since I bought it at launch and sold it a few weeks later.

Can't remember it being that long though, I think even MW2 was longer than it.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Wow. first thing that came to my mind after reading the Headline was
I really seem to HAVE forgotten about it ^^

I bet i have played and enjoyed tons of games i cant remember. But occasionally you stumble over one of them and think "hell yeah thats great-REPLAY!"

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
I did a search before posting about it, and saw nothing lately.

@Karhukonna, I think that is amazing right there.

To add to my own thread, I think that the .//hack series (especially the G.U. series) got too little respect.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Honestly I remember it mostly for the Unskippable lampooning. "And that was the first time I died."

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
The Disk Thrower said:
The Darkness are a band too. pretty good.
anyway, It was pretty good game.
although, people seem to have forgotten R.U.S.E :[
R.U.S.E boasts that you have to use deception in order to win the RTS. The only problem is that this is the way all RTS players will play an RTS. If R.U.S.E came out before some of the command an conquer games, or like... three-five years before starcraft 2, I think it could go further. I just used those strategies back in times of warcraft

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
It was a good game using demon powers to render mortal flesh and I hoped it would get a sequel but it doesn't look like it will.
The mutiplayer wasn't very good though, the lobbies crashed as soon as more than 4 players got together.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
I'm sorry this has nothing to do with the game but the thread title made me think of it.

"I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!"

Darksqueee

Apr 21, 2010
It truly was a great game, but it just got nowhere near the exposure it needed to break out. The VA was absolutely phenomenal, the graphics were top-notch, and the the story was pretty true to the comic book character.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The Darkness was one of my first Xbox 360-games and I was amazed not only by the graphics but also how cheap it was even then(15$ or something, almost three years ago).
Now the graphics look bad and when I tried to replay it last time the loading times were more annoying than I remembered. It's still a great game though.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
The Darkness was an awesome game. I believe it was the BioShock before BioShock, focusing a lot more on the captivating story. If you liked the game, you should check out the comic books as it's a really great serise. Just something about a guy who continuously plunges into the depths of Hell itself, progressively being able to sustain more and more trauma as he grows in power all in the name to bring back his dead girlfriend is very romantic, if not a bit twisted. Overall, great game, both my girlfriend and I will never forget it and I will own it until the day I die! =D