Why didn't people go see "Fantastic Beasts"?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I get that my subject line's a bit preposterous. Millions and millions of people went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Fact remains that it was the worst-grossing Harry Potter movie ever. And I keep wondering why people didn't care as much about it.

Any thoughts?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Because it didn't have "Harry Potter" in the title.

(And it wasn't a good movie. ;D)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Because at this point they are now milking the cow dry.

And also they could have covered a better premise than I lost my monsters I kept in a Breifcase.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The idea of a prequel spin off set in the US is a bit "meh" to begin with, but in the run up to the film it looks like they made quite a few dubious casting and plot choices that put people off.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Thaluikhain said:
The idea of a prequel spin off set in the US is a bit "meh" to begin with, but in the run up to the film it looks like they made quite a few dubious casting and plot choices that put people off.
If anything derseves a prequal its the life of the major adult charcaters and the events of the First Wizarding War.

Severus Snape, Lily and James Potter, Voldemort, Sirius Black, Lucius Malfoy, Dumbledore, etc.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I saw it. I also like it well enough. I mean, I didn't love it but for a continuation of the Harry Potter seriesnot based on a book it was fine. It had some awkward tonal issues and it took half of it running time for it to figure out what it's actual plot was but it still hit that kind of sweed spot between morbid and cozy that makes the Harry Potter series what it is. Seriously though, it did have tonal issues. On occasion it felt like someone added scenes from Lords of Salem into an episode of Sabrina: Teenage Witch. What was the deal with that execution scene?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't even know the film existed. Harry potter, i lost interest in by Goblet of Fire, so that's my excuse.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I saw it. I also like it well enough. I mean, I didn't love it but for a continuation of the Harry Potter seriesnot based on a book it was fine. It had some awkward tonal issues and it took half of it running time for it to figure out what it's actual plot was but it still hit that kind of sweed spot between morbid and cozy that makes the Harry Potter series what it is. Seriously though, it did have tonal issues. On occasion it felt like someone added scenes from Lords of Salem into an episode of Sabrina: Teenage Witch. What was the deal with that execution scene?
Yeah, the tonal issues bothered me too. One moment there's a heartwarming scene where Credence gets some friendly tutoring from his kind mentor. The next moment there's a horror scene where Jacob Kowalski must flee for his life--and chastity--while being chased by a terrifying beast that intends to rape him to death.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I was going to, but didn't feel enough interest towards it to book a screening. It was one of those "Hey, I think I'll see that in theaters" movies that just slips out of theaters under the radar.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
It looked like a spin-off that was set in USA just to appease the American audience.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I lost interest in the frachise (film wise) when I went to university and even then, it was impossbile for me to try to watched it during Christmas since it's always on when I'm not watching the tv or out.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Because it looked like a fanfic cash grab? Because 'barely tangential' is still too much connection to the Potter franchise.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Probably had something to do with the critical reception. Since the Harry Potter metaplot was over, there was no need for fans of the characters to watch so they stayed home. I saw it a few weeks ago and don't blame them. I mean, holy shit does it make the entire magical community look evil!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Queen Michael said:
I get that my subject line's a bit preposterous. Millions and millions of people went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Fact remains that it was the worst-grossing Harry Potter movie ever. And I keep wondering why people didn't care as much about it.

Any thoughts?
Counter-question: Why should people have cared about it? It's not about Harry Potter, it doesn't contain the Franchises-Characters (As far as I know), it wasn't written by Rowling. It doesn't even happen in Great-Britain, so not even the places that the story occurs in have anything to do with the beloved franchise it's based upon. Why should Harry Potter Fans care about a movie, that doesn't have anything in common with Harry Potter?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Because I don't care about anything Harry Potter related to be perfectly honest with you.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Amaror said:
Queen Michael said:

Any thoughts?
Counter-question: Why should people have cared about it? It's not about Harry Potter, it doesn't contain the Franchises-Characters (As far as I know), it wasn't written by Rowling. It doesn't even happen in Great-Britain, so not even the places that the story occurs in have anything to do with the beloved franchise it's based upon. Why should Harry Potter Fans care about a movie, that doesn't have anything in common with Harry Potter?
If by "Franchise-Characters" you mean "people who also appeared in the Harry Potter books/movies," then you're correct. The Rowling thing is wrong, though--she did write the script for the movie.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Remember all the stuff that kept your interest in the series? Yeah, remove all that and you get Fantastic Beasts

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It looked like the most bland HP movie, and after seeing it I can confirm that I don't care for it at all.

Probably didn't help that it wasn't actually Harry Potter, and after 8 similar themed movies that well might've dried up a bit.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Because I am firmly in the book over film camp when it comes to Harry Potter, and even so I've kind of grown out of the novels. And because I seldom go to the cinema anyway. And because no reviewer said "No-no, you ABSOLUTELY must see this film! It's awesome!", so I didn't bother.