Why do Americans write their dates down backwards?

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
I think the real question is is how many threads we need to have about it.

It just reflects our phonetic way of saying the date. God forbid a country on the other side of an ocean has a cosmetic cultural difference from you!

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
well its damn annoying!!! Especially if working with computer programs and having an american textbook (don't want to count the times i typed the wrong date in MS project)

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I could just as well ask you why Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.
I myself am not from the U.S. I just made my post to prove the fact that different cultures have different means to do stuff.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i find the americans being the only first world country in the world to be funny and the way they do it is hilarious because the section of their government has a copy of the metric absolutes and converts from real measurements to wrong measurements and that they have been converting to metric for over 20 years

but back on topic i was watching a case study of a murder that was committed in the us and the fact that american civilians write the date MM/DD/YY and soldiers write it DD/MM/YY (so they can work with other militaries because it is more precise and standard) helped them solve the case. the murderer wrote a note with the date on it ant pinned it to the victims door the victim was a civ and the murder was a soldier so they used the date difference to rule out a heap of suspects

so that's why american civilians write the date wrongly so they don't get blamed for murders committed by soldiers

but if you dont like that reason i have another one

america is a super power yes?
and all super powers are backwards nations yes?
therefore americans do loads of stuff wrongly because they live in a super power

and americian spelling really gets on my nerves i have been in the middle of several programs wondering why i have thease silly bugs and i go through the code and eventually i have mixed up the languages and instead of using the American spelling i have used the English spelling

TheSquirrelisKing

Mar 23, 2010
bluemistake2 said:
the metric system fails just look at my point the imperial system is way better just look at this picture
http://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/166508/The+Metric+System/
(please could someone tell me how to post pics in the actual post? thx in advance)
OT: americans tend to do things backwards i mean look at kkk that is completely backwards (socially anyway)
I love that picture, but disagree with you, I personally find the imperial system ridiculous. I wish we used the metric system over here, that would have made math class a lot easier.
Also to post a pic, right click on the picture and click copy image location. Then in your post type [ img ] (without the spaces) then paste the image location you copied http://www.morbiddreams.co.uk/pictures/bleh.jpg then follow it up with a [ /img ] (again without spaces.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
aps1984 said:
I was just wondering because Americans always say the UK is stupid for spelling things like 'colour' in that way. I actually agree because there is no need for the 'u'. but then I was like wtf hypocrisy! they put the dates in the most stupid order: month,day,year! I honestly don't know how you can even look yourselves in the mirror ;)
It makes it easier to arrange data in computing as you can do it by month rather than each day then the month.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
grimsprice said:
Bicus Weer AMERICANS!

Fuck you world! We'll drive on the RIGHT side of the road. Measure things in INCHES FEET and YARDS. Because the lawn in front of your house is an accurate measurement! As well as your FEET!

We'll harass the rest of the world with ounces! Gallons! Pints! Which most Americans don't know how to measure! Whatever the fuck a quart is! I thought that was a subatomic particle? Oh wait... thats a quark.

MILES BITCHES. 5280 feet!

[HEADING=1]WHY?[/HEADING]

Because we can.
I lol'd. :)

But yeah... I know it wasn't serious, but I much rather like the month first. I would say "April 6th" over "the 6th of April" if someone asked me what today is, so writing 4-6-10 seems fine by me instead of 6-4-10.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Only read the first page, I have the strange feeling that this will turn into a UK vs US thread.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
you probably wont care much, but they have their shipping lights the other way round (the only country to do this)

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
darthzew said:
If you want the real explanation... In most Latin languages, you say the day, then the month, then the year, the same way that their dates are written. In Portuguese:
Quinto de Abril, 2010, which would translate literally to Fifth of April, 2010.

In English, you do it backwards, you would say April fifth, 2010.
Basically, put, we write it the way we say it. I'm not exactly sure why we insist on this difference, but that's the jist of it.

Errrmmmm.... I've only ever encountered people saying '5th of April', as opposed to 'April 5th'

In the English speaking countries I've visited, think It's an Americas thing.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Cmwissy said:
darthzew said:
If you want the real explanation... In most Latin languages, you say the day, then the month, then the year, the same way that their dates are written. In Portuguese:
Quinto de Abril, 2010, which would translate literally to Fifth of April, 2010.

In English, you do it backwards, you would say April fifth, 2010.
Basically, put, we write it the way we say it. I'm not exactly sure why we insist on this difference, but that's the jist of it.

Errrmmmm.... I've only ever encountered people saying '5th of April', as opposed to 'April 5th'

In the English speaking countries I've visited, think It's an Americas thing.
It is an American thing. The British people I know would say fifth of April, but Americans would say April 5th. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough I referred specifically to Americans.

WillItWork

Apr 7, 2008
Omega Hunter 9 said:
Because our spoken language is April Sixth Twenty Ten, so we the numbers follow the saying. Some odd dialect from a century or two seperate from europe
Pretty much. I forget when, but in the last century or so, the UK and most of Europe decided to get up all in arms about standardizing things, and redid many of the spellings and orders. Common US parlance never changed.

This is why, for example, the OED still insists that -ize is more correct (it uses Greek? instead of Latinate? suffices).

However, the US military uses a modified ISO style dating, which uses DMY.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Rutawitz said:
UberNoodle said:
Rutawitz said:
why do british people write the dates backwards? day/month/year? thats stupid
Because it (D/M/Y) escalates in terms of size and ranking, and follows the spoken pattern of "1st of January 2010". "January 1st 2010" is not really correct grammatical placement and is ONLY used with dates. It is mirrored in the American system of M/D/Y.
hmm.....NA. i reject that.
the year goes last because it changes the least and you should know what year it is. the month goes first then the date because youll should like a retard if you say "1st january" instead of "january 1st"
AMERICA
Um .. that's why you DON'T say '1st January', which would be ranking the month instead of naming its days. You say 'the 1st of January", which is correct grammar. 'January First' is a structure only really used in that context and as such should be considered an abbreviation. I am not using that against it. Use it, if it the way it is done in your country, but I can't see how any literate person, upon hearing 'the First of January', would call another a 'retard' for saying so. I don't think you need to worry about such poeple. ;)

kukuriku

Apr 19, 2010
I just follow the standard international usageas much as possible; metric system, day,month, year, celzius for temp and I live in NYC; I just stay away from archaic measurements that many Americans use. Majority of coworkers and people I know have no problem with the metric system, it's easier and better so I do not understand why do they still teach in schools the old system? In one of the hospitals (Coney Island) I worked at, they used day/month/year for official paperwork but now I work at another hospital (Methodist hospital in Brooklyn) and they use archaic or backward system of month/day/year, so I'm stuck with that backwardness but at least I do not have to enter those numbers with my pen (as I would feel stupid doing so), instead the computer charting system is setup for automatic writing data...

My child goes in one of the schools Park Slope Brooklyn and from the first grade those teachers still teach archaic measurements. They also teach metric system, but why not teach the new generations simply only metric system. This way America will have better generation of people growing up...I don't want to elaborate on that now :)