Why do certain kids hate reading?

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Kendarik said:
Hosker said:
You're generalising a bit too much there, I think. But, nevertheless, why should they read?
If you really don't know the answer, you need to read more.
On the contrary, I normally read about an hour or two a day. It does little more for the brain than what television does.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
For me the first books I can remember reading myself where several of Enid Blyton's books such as Famous Five and Secret Seven when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

I think schools are partly to blame by making kids study and look into a book too much rather than enjoying the book for what it is. Alot of kids will then always associate reading books with work rather than as a form of entertainment. I still shy away from Dickens and Hemmingway books because of my time over analysing them in school. And that's saying nothing about reading Shakespeare in school, Shakespeare wrote plays dammit and you don't read plays you watch them.

Secondly I think exposure to books from a young age helps kids develop an interest in reading, and for that to happen it needs parents to actually encourage reading. I have noticed that children tend not like reading have parents who didn't read themselves[footnote]not saying this a fact just some personal observation[/footnote] so its likely the child has followed the parent's example.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
i think its a combination of a few thing

schools instance on you must read to be smart, here read this now write me a essay on it. Do you know any bigger way of killing any enjoyment from anything than knowing that your going to have to write a 1000 word essay on it later, i cant.

And then there's parents that force there kids to read, not encourage ,force, forcing someone to do something is not going to make it fun for them, its going to kill any enjoyment you can get from them.

But the most prominent reason is the fact that i didn't really enjoy reading too much in the first place, i can dress it up however you want but, its true i don't like reading books, and i didnt back then.

hell i enjoyed some of the books at school, lord of the flies particularly, and some of the books i was forced to read at home, but i honestly cant pick one up, why because its associated with boredom now, and well i never really enjoyed reading too much in the first place.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
I think its down to parents not trying to engage their children with the written word at a young age. Instead they just sit the kids in front of the TV. Reading requires effort and concentration (particularly for kids learning to read) - TV requires minimal brainpower. As those kids grow up, I imagine a lot of them just stick to the easier path of not reading. Which is tragic really! Books are amazing and there are thousands of worthy books to read. Also I'm fairly convinced that reading leads to a better imagination, lingual skills, creativity and all in all a better mind!

Restoshamankk

Oct 25, 2008
I didnt like reading books because the kids books were not interesting, once we got past that it was okay.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
My friend says he would rather read the dictionary cover-to-cover than ever read a fiction book. He says he can't see any reason why someone would read a book when they can see a film adaptation of it instead.
I don't care though, because he's a self centred prick anyway. All of the rest of his opinions are just as retarded, especially with popular things like music.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
To be fair, while there are tons of valid criticisms of parents and schools, some people simply don't like certain things. Some people don't enjoy gaming, some hate travel, personally I barely watch TV. Just like that, reading as a hobby isn't for everyone, and I don't think that the intellectual pedestal we put it on is reason enough to brand not enjoying books as a 'bad' thing.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
Perhaps they were exposed to James Joyce? I know that would have driven me away from literature completely if that had happened to me in, say, middle school instead of college like it was. This can be combated with the liberal application of the works of Oscar Wilde.

Oscar Wilde should be mandatory reading for everyone. Everyone. All the time. Although, that might cause an inordinate amount of English majors. We need science people too, I suppose. Hm.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
mrjoe94 said:
This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's because schools try to force books that kids have no interest for down their throats too often.
Why should everyone like reading? It's just an activity. You might as well say "I think the reason not all kids like skateboarding is because they have it forced on them". Some kids just don't like reading!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
theheroofaction said:
. See, apparently, a "classic" has to be a cliche storm as well as a commentary on issues that were only relevant a century ago.
Actually yeah, that makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. Nearly every book I was assigned to read back in High School was a commentary on a certain issue from back in it's time. One book I read, I forgot what the title was, sort of commentated on Cambodia when it was taken over by Pol Pot.
II Scarecrow II said:
scorptatious said:
I remember hating reading when I was little. I got over it as I grew older though.

Probably one of the books that really got me into reading was Silverwing. It was back in Middle School and we got to choose our own books. It was one of the few books I found myself having trouble putting down.

But yeah, I think you may be right in saying that kids don't really enjoy reading when it's forced upon them. I know I sure didn't back then.
Silver Wing was an amazing book and part of a brilliant trilogy. It's been probably more than a decade since I read it, but it was pretty awesome from memory.
That's one thing I forgot to mention. Silverwing was also one of the first books that got me into reading the rest of the books in the series by my own free will. And yes, the other two books were brilliant as well.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kendarik said:
mrjoe94 said:
If more schools let children pick a book they might enjoy reading, they could grow to love it.
Your school didn't have a library?

Your parents didn't read books to you from the time you were born and buy books for you or take you to the library throughout your early childhood?
My school had a library, but 90% of the books were assigned. This could be a problem for many people.

It was technically a problem for me, too. I got called a liar when I said I'd already read some of these books.

Which I had.

My parents, of course, did take me to the library and read to me at a young age. But still, I can see why school would be a frustrating experience for many.

Though Shakespeare was a problem for me. I hated reading period English. Didn't help I was an undiagnosed (at that point) dyslexic.

Dangit2019 said:
There's a book called skulduggery pleasant, which was a dark comedy/fantasy with a skeleton playing the title character that I read when I was about 10. I cannot believe it's not as popular as other young adult novels, it had witty characters, believable dialogue, and an interesting premise. I get annoyed when my fellow high schoolers just dismiss reading as some boring, trivial activity getting in the way of their usual activities i.e. getting high and/or retarded.
I was recommended the series despite being well above the standard age. I'm told the series is really good.

...And once I thin out my backlog a bit, I probably will try it.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
I mostly agree with you OP. There are some books I've enjoyed like The Count of Monte Cristo and Terry Pratchet's work, but I discovered those purely by incident. But the most books I've read are because my teacher made me. And they sucked, oh god how much they've sucked. Now, I'm sure someone likes them, but I can't, for the love of me, focus on Dante's Inferno or Faust for more than 20 minutes before I fall asleep.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I love reading. So much. And I did it so much when I was a young kid, I can read stupidly quickly now. It's wonderful. So much fun to be had. And it opens up your mind. It's only a wonderful thing. I can't think of any negative things to say about it.

But I would imagine people in my school don't like it. Well, a few do, but most are more interested in getting shitfaced, and failing their exams.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
It's just a different way that kids learn. Instead of reading, some kids learn better by actually DOING stuff and like things read to them. These are right brained thinkers as opposed left brain thinkers who enjoy reading.
For example, Mozart was a right brained thinker. While composing his music he would have his wife read him stories to distract the left side of his brain and allow the right side of his brain more freedom and creativity.
There is actually a REALLY good book about this stuff called "About Learning" by Bernice McCarthy and has been quite an interesting read.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I hate reading and hated reading in school. I didn't care for Mice and Men and the fact we had the study it for GCSE. I just can't get into books, at all, there's no appeal for me.

I do read every night for my nearly 3yo, she loves it and I really, really hope She continues and gets more enjoyment out of it than I did as a child in school and places.

Jul 9, 2008
TomLikesGuitar said:
*raises hand*
I read Catcher when I was 16 and hated it, honestly. I could see what Salinger was going for, but I actually ended up finding Caulfield less and less relatable as the book went on.

That book is right up there with A Separate Peace as the worst book I ever read, for school or otherwise. Go figure.
The worst book you've ever read?

You either haven't read many books or the books you've read have all been spectacular, because that's ridiculous. I think the worst book I read was probably Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers: Virtual Vandals or maybe like a Hardy Boys book or something...
I read a lot, and I like most of the books I've read. However, even if I had read a lot of books I dislike, I really don't think it would ridiculous to say that Catcher was among the worst. I mean, usually with classics, I can at least see the merit even if I don't like it, but I just don't see it there. Granted, it's not as bad as A Separate Peace or The Great Gatsby (forgot to mention that one earlier), but that doesn't make it any less devoid of merit in my mind.

You're placing Catcher on such a pedestal, to the extent that disliking it is "ridiculous", but I really struggle to understand why.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I kind of like reading, I just don't like the senastion of holding a book in my hands. I just feel there's just no comfortable way of holding it. That's why buying a kindle was one of the best things I've ever done. Get your kid one of those.

IpunchFaces

Jul 30, 2010
My primary school had a reading program as well. And I remember each class having its own 'mini library' at the back wall, and you were encouraged to pick a book and read after you were done with your assignments. Most of the children in my school didn't fancy reading very much, partly due to fact that they were forced to read the wrong kind of books; the sort that didn't agree to their individual personalities. Needless to say, it became more of a dust trap than anything else. Anyone who even dared approach that section was quickly chastised by the 'cool kids' and labeled as a 'nerd'.

I had to sneak a few books out just so I could read them.

In my secondary school, it was better. Every morning during assembly, everyone HAD to have something to read. A newspaper, a book, a documentary magazine, whatever. As long as it had more words than pictures and you weren't reading any questionable material, it was fine. Everyone had a book they loved, and the library we had was quite well stocked. Everyone scored above average grades for their English exams.

But I digress. The main proponent to this reading crisis is the fact that most kids are not reinforced in their interest to read. One must first crawl before they walk. You need to have a 'base' to build your interest upon first. And to have interest, you must find something that they view interesting to read. Most start with fantasy and teenage fiction. From there they can progress to high fantasy such as Lovecraft or Tolkien, or to the deeper mysteries of science fiction. They then dive into more varied genres until they hit upon the one that never fails to draw them in. For me, my calling was Philosophy.

But some DO embrace ignorance. They will always be these kind of people. Some call it platonic wisdom, but I just call them fucking idiots.

The hardest thing of all, however, is pulling children off the modern machines of quick, meaningless entertainment. Making them do something that takes more effort than sitting blank-eyed with no cerebral activity whatsoever is an achievement in itself.

Deathwatch050

Jul 30, 2009
Parents aren't introducing reading to their child or reinforcing it early enough. I got into reading so early that I was miles ahead of my classmates in year 2 of school and got to skip a year and go straight to 4. I'm still the youngest person in my class and I get very good grades. I know those two things are related.

It's time we had an education revolution. Parents and teachers just aren't putting in the effort anymore. It's a shame. Krosis.