Why do games have friendly fire?

shoot and hope

Apr 12, 2010
What is the point off friendly fire? There is so many idiots that do it on purpose and it is so annoying.But also you might do it by accident then you get shouted at for it so why have friendly fire?

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
A touch more realism perhaps? Adding an extra layer of skill, so that you have to take care not to hurt your teammates?

delet

Nov 2, 2008
To add realism into their games? A lot of games nowadays like to boast being hyper-realistic and you can't very well get that feeling when you're shooting bullets through your buddy into an enemy's face...

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
It's realistic, and you can't simply shoot through your teammates while staying in considerable safety from enemy bullets. And you have to think whether it's a good idea to go fucking Rambo with a machine gun or rocket launcher in an enclosed space full of allies.

Friendly fire is AWESOME.

Jun 11, 2008
In a bad attempt to be realistic the silly game devs decided to add in Friendly Fire. Little did they know the plague of twats they would unleash on the world. All I can say is thank god for dedicated servers on PC and being able to turn it off or put it on reflect. Reflect fire is awesome.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
For some reason they assume there aren't any idiots playing, so they add it to discourage wasting ammo shooting at your allies/team mates.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
When playing tactically with friends, it's great. When playing with foo's it isn't.

Most games are based around you being expected to play with friends I guess, and it just gets added in.

Personally I like it, I don't just shoot, I have to check who I'm shooting first.

Strykz

Apr 4, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Realism, which is ironic... since most of the games that use it are far beyond real.
Why does it have to be one or the other?

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Because without it, people could etc etc etc.

The reasons have already been said, and there's nothing really to add. Realism, discouraging grenade spam, encouraging proper use of rocket launchers, etc. Even unrealistic games like Left4Dead benefit from it (especially how on higher difficulties, friendly fire does more damage, forcing you to really watch what you're doing).

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Because you need to discipline gamers some times. If someone kills me, even by accident, he's going to die...alot.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
To stop games being totally unrealistic.

Stops you firing randomly as well. Some skill, please!