Why do games have friendly fire?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I love having friendly fire on, it makes the game more interesting. Except when you run into that asshole that will shoot but otherwise it works REALLY well.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It makes the game less automatic. If you're moving along, you can't take the mental shortcut of, "If it moves, mouse cursor over it, fire until it stops moving". You have to constantly be paying attention to where your teammates are, and make judgment calls in a split second. Friendly Fire sacrifices Flow for Engagement. In some circumstances, for certain people, it's a good design choice.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It wouldn't be so annoying if the friendly AI didn't walk right in your line of sight.

noobium

Apr 26, 2010
friendly fire is there to add more realism to the game but i did get spawn killed by an RPG more times than i would like to count.

MW2 tried to fix friendly spawn killers with ricochet fire but sometimes you end up getting screwed over by it

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Because it would be unbalanced without it, Take games with air strikes, I could run through that area and complete the objective, I know the airstike will kill the enemy and not hurt me because FF is turned off.

Same for shooting people in firefights, its not fair because you don't have to worry about your teammate just fire a rocket or a grenade and they are fine yet the enemy dies.

FF is annoying when people abuse it but it would be even more unfair/annoying if it was not on all together.

Yumi_and_Erea

Nov 11, 2009
Because without it, everyone would just randomly be firing the heaviest guns at whatever moved, rather than try and employ actual strategy and tactics. Friendly fire is what happens in real-life, and removing it from shooters drastically cuts back on realism and immersion.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Friendly fire, encourages aiming since 1985. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OlderThanTheNES]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
To teach 10 year old that you have to be careful if they grow up to join the army

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
For all the people that want to find out what it's like to be American, I guess? :p

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
igissx said:
Cid SilverWing said:
visitingric said:
realism and forces team tactics to avoid getting FF'ed
It doesn't do shit to prevent dickheads from teamkilling, in fact it encourages it.
Exactly this, try playing any FPS in "realism/hardcore/hard" mode, with one prick, and you will hate the game for life, unless you get kicked after a certain amount of kills like Battlefield and Counter Strike...though i dont believe there is anymore f.f on C.S
heh, bitches don't know about mah project reality.
almost perfect amount of lots of realism.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
It's to encourage a bit more thinking before you shoot, and make zerging less effective, and also to allow panic to be used as a weapon. It's nice to have a bit of psychology in a game, and games like Dystopia have funky little features where they short out most of your heads up display under certain situations, basically meaning that you're fighting blind. Those times, when your vision is filled with EMP noise, and when there's an invisible man running around your allies, they wouldn't work unless FF was on forcing you to think rationally through all this.

Of course, a lot of games work better without FF, but there are situations where it's an absolute godsend.