Why do most men not like musicals?

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
West Side Story turned most people off. Especially that clicking bit.

TheTinyMan

May 6, 2010
Personally, I don't like musicals in general because in many of them, the song'n'dance feels out-of-place and breaks immersion. Hence, why I don't like Mama Mia or Westside Story. In movies that integrate the singing and dancing into the actual plot, such as Chicago (where the song and dance shows us that Roxy is going crazy and is used to demonstrate her perceptions, in stark contrast to what we see ordinarily) or The Phantom of the Opera (wherein the music is an analogue, if not an instrument, for magic and beguiling charm), or even The Music Man (in which the music plays a role akin to a montage, and we see other people reacting to the music as they would to the implied activity) then I might be more interested.

And then there's The Producers, where you simply aren't supposed to take the plot seriously, so there's little immersion of that sort for the song'n'dance to break.

...I did a terrible job of explaining how I hate musicals, listing four I love.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
I was once at a Broadway show and it was really hawt, there were sexy women with only underwear dancing :D Though the music was kinda bad :p

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
I don't know why men aren't into musicals, but I know why I'm not: All the singing.

Singing is antithetical to efficient communication. It takes much longer, it repeats and repeats, it grandstands and thus is only really suitable for a certain sort of message. I am a big fan of getting to the point and moving on, and I really don't care how many trombones there are so please don't tell me nine times.

That's only the top of the list, though. There's also that there's very, very few stories that musicals ever tell, and that they regularly and habitually break the "show, don't tell" rule of storytelling by overtly stating (rather, singing) the blitheringly obvious, as well as their critics' evident (and frustrating) inability to critique content rather than mere delivery.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
I hate musicals because they always burst into song about the most tedious subjects, using cheerful, puerile modes like the intended audience is fucking four years old. Only a child needs to learn something by use of musical repetition. This same disdain applies to those wretchedly impudent commercials that try to sing me into buying their product or remembering their dial number.

In no time in my life do I ever experience a point of conflict on which I need to burst into song. It slows down plot development for the sake of emotional elaboration. The fact that the music is bad is just extra shit on my fuck-briskettes.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
No. Just no. My girlfriend is a typical girl, she obsesses about things. Her new obsession is musicals. While it's healthier than Twilight, I still have an obligation to hate it. I saw a good online musical once, called Dr Horrible's sing along blog or something, with Neil Patrick Harris, some guy from the Big Bang Theory, a girl from The Guild and some other known actors. It was good.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love musicals!

Sweeny Todd
Dr.Horrible
Repo! The Genetic Opera
(Actually a rock opera, not a musical).

These three are all great. Hell, I like classical musicals too. Singin' in the rain is a REALLY good movie (even though I found Cosmo to be... well not funny at all). Fiddler on the roof has some really catchy tunes and if you want to found Fantasia as a musical then I'm down with that to. However...

I know for myself personally though, when a girl says "musical" they really mean Mama Mia! or Grease. Now, I fucking hate Abba and the story to Mama Mia is shit, moved incredibly slowly and NOTHING is resolved at the end - you still don't know who the father is. This musical is garbage, yet seems to be one of the only ones my female friends have seen, the other being Grease.

I don't like Grease. I'm not a fan of the 50s motif, I found the characters to be unlikable and downright stupid at times and I didn't like any of the music either. They're all just so vapid and moronic - I hate Grease.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Sarkule said:
I'm a musical fan, and so are quite a few of my friends, but i've found that very few of my friends who are male actually like musicals. Even though there are some out there that aren't hugely girly (such as Sweeney Todd and Repo! The Genetic Opera)
So I was just wondering why guys don't like musicals.
We love Musicals, such as Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, or, as a better example, Dr. Horrible. It's the content of musicals that is generally the problem.

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
I will agree with several contributors here that Dr. Horrible is excellent. However, I'm not sure it's a musical--much of the interaction is spoken--and even if it is, I know that I and several others like it despite it being sing-y.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Because we are MANLY MEN and our only interests is violence, sleeping and hot girls!

OT: I don't know. I never liked musicals for many reasons, one being having to forcibly go to them. And whenever I forcibly go to something, you can bet your ass I probably won't like it.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Well, mostly because people are like "The acting is impeccable" and to me, it all looks a bit silly.

My girlfriend frequently calls me an uncultured philestine because of it. I just don't see the need for singing about absolutely everything.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Sarkule said:
(such as Sweeney Todd and Repo! The Genetic Opera)
So I was just wondering why guys don't like musicals.
Repo was an opera (the only one I managed to watch, which was decent), and you are talking about musicals. There is a difference...

Some musicals I like (South Park Movie, Tenacious D), but a lot of them are just annoying. Operas are even worse... I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people singing instead of talking annoys me to death...

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
"Musicals" are about being on stage live! No edits and cheats! in the movie it it great but live it will SUCK!
Sweeney Todd was the only movie i EVER accepted from the musical genre.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
VladShadeu said:
Aby_Z said:
Cause it ain't manly enough!

Eh, it's also just personal taste. Personally, I quite like a few musicals, like Chicago. Sweeney Todd was really bad though; the blood was far too tomato-sauce-looking and it was rather... well, it wasn't that good in my opinion.
If you're referring to the Tim Burton version (and from your comments I suspect you are) then you haven't seen a decent version of that musical and shouldn't be insulting it.
I suppose I don't; musicals are always better live after all, neh?

I can bash the movie all I want though ;P

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Depends on the musical and the quality of its exactution. For example, 'Cats' and 'Oliver' just don't appeal to me, but 'The Phantom of the Opera' does. And if it's done in a school, then it's normally done badly.