Why do most men not like musicals?

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Sarkule said:
I'm a musical fan, and so are quite a few of my friends, but i've found that very few of my friends who are male actually like musicals. Even though there are some out there that aren't hugely girly (such as Sweeney Todd and Repo! The Genetic Opera)
So I was just wondering why guys don't like musicals.
I was not a fan of Sweeney Todd all that much (but i hate Helena ***** Carter).
I loved the Producers (got to see that live), my favourite film is Rent, I've also seen Cats live in theatre. It was okay, but I wish it had some form of plot (yes I know it's based on an old collection of poems). I quite enjoyed the new hairspray as well.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
LustFull0ne said:
Sarkule said:
I'm a musical fan, and so are quite a few of my friends, but i've found that very few of my friends who are male actually like musicals. Even though there are some out there that aren't hugely girly (such as Sweeney Todd and Repo! The Genetic Opera)
Hey, I'm a guy and I love The Phantom of the Opera. I'm a sucker for that one. Gerard Butler is one sexy beast. It's a shame that some guys don't like musicals.

Edit: We should learn to respect this genre.
No. Just... no. Gerik had sunburn. The REAL Phantom was horribly disfigured (go read Gaston Leroux!) and even the stage Phantoms were better done (Anthony Warlow FTW!). I'm pretty obsessed with it - saw it sixteen times! However, you earn points for liking ALW anyway!

Actually, I was dragged along to The Mikado by one of my close guy-friends at uni. I wouldn't have seen it (well... I did see the OA performance much later) otherwise. Plus half the guys at work went and saw Phantom while it was here in Brisbane. But I think it's the whole theatrical arts thing they have a problem with and the preconception that its for either snobs or implies that their masculinity is impaired, which is ridiculous. I went to Phantom in a pair of jeans and a polar fleece jacket, ^_^

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
The same reason I don't like reading phone-book for entertainment, I simply get no enjoyment from it. That's a personal preference of course and I'm sure there are many men out there who like some if not all musicals but it's not my cup of tea. That being said I base my opinion on a few musicals I saw, I might find one I like if I watched a bunch of them but I don't find the prospect worthy of the effort.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
From what I can tell; the more women like it, the more femanine it is, & the more "gay" a man looks if he likes it to. It's one of those discriminatory things that prevents the world doomination of the androgynous.

As for me, I grew up with musicals, mostly Disney & whatever my mom was making us watch durring dinner, so I get showtuned in my head all the time, as my brain seems to have mistaken itself for a jukebox with a broken record that sometimes skips on the same son all day.

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
ciortas1 said:
I liked Sweeney Todd, so I guess some of them are good?
I tried really hard to like Sweeney Todd, a musical about murder and cannibalism sounds interesting enough but it had the same problem imo that "Across the Universe" had. For those who don't know Across the Universe is the beetles musical that came out a few years ago. While a few of the songs are really well delivered most just feel droned out as means to pass the time. I guess that's what separates a good musical from a bad one in my book is one where the songs are used sparingly and for effect, where as bad ones just fire songs at you one after another and predictably like a machine gun.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Because they're unbearably upbeat (for the most part) and talk emotions through the medium of song and dance.

What's not to hate?

I'm not one of these that hates being happy or some bollocks, but musicals are so false they make me want to rip off my balls. I do not, however, discuss my emotions. Nor do I bloody sing about them. Or dance.

Iffypop

Apr 2, 2008
Repo! The Genetic Opera is the best Rock Opera ever. Second best is the War of the Worlds Musical.

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
Phantomess said:
No. Just... no. Gerik had sunburn. The REAL Phantom was horribly disfigured (go read Gaston Leroux!) and even the stage Phantoms were better done (Anthony Warlow FTW!). I'm pretty obsessed with it - saw it sixteen times! However, you earn points for liking ALW anyway!
Well then, I shall try and see the other ones. If, I can find them. Thank you for telling me. :p

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
They just don't get my attention. And all immersion is lost the second they break into song and dance.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Sarkule said:
West Side Story is masculinity stripped down to its purest, most concentrated elements and displayed on the screen in raw, dazzling fashion. It's so masculine that there's even a guy in it called "Action". Your male friends just don't know where the action is. They're probably all single, too.

Iffypop

Apr 2, 2008
To everyone that really doesn't like musicals, again, "Repo! The Genetic Opera". It's about repo men collecting organs you failed to pay for, murder, dystopian futures and Paris Hilton's face falling off.

Benefactor

Jul 5, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Because they haven't seen Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yet.

[/thread]
I like to think of that movie as some sort of Frankenstein created by Joss Whedon and infused with the awesomeness of NPH to create a musical that even guys could like.

It was amazing, I will give you that, but I find people expressing their feelings in song to be, well... I don't buy it a lot. Plus, I'm sorry, but when I think of musicals, a lot of them have topics that would interest a 40 year old single woman before me.

Proof: "Cats."

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm a guy, and I love musicals. People bursting out in song at the drop of a hat - what's there not to love? I even enjoyed High School Musical a bit, I'm that big a musical fan!
Though my favourites are Rocky Horror etc. and Phantom of the Opera, and Sweeney Todd.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Because musicals tend to have stories that I'm not interested in at all, and because having the whole cast suddenly break into song means you can't take it seriously.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
Because they're unbearably upbeat (for the most part) and talk emotions through the medium of song and dance.

What's not to hate?

I'm not one of these that hates being happy or some bollocks, but musicals are so false they make me want to rip off my balls. I do not, however, discuss my emotions. Nor do I bloody sing about them. Or dance.
Try this for an experiment: go attend a musical while being drunk! I guarantee you'll like it, and even start singing.

OT: I love musicals! I love music, and singing(even if it's out of context and the story may be shit, I go gaga for organised singing and musicals).
One of my most beloved films is "The Sound of Music".
I even made a "What's the best musical you've been to?" thread(now during this summer I'll try to go see all of those on the list)

Feb 13, 2008
HK_01 said:
I can't take anything serious where people start singing and dancing synchronised choreographies every five minutes.
Ahem.

Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Avenue Q, Spamalot...

Are you saying you don't take this seriously?