Why do PC Gamers Oppose Using a Controller?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
More often than not, a gamepad is going to be equal or worse than a kb/m. Hell, even 3D platformers can be done with a kb/m in most cases because the mouselook grants something similar to analogue movement. It just takes a little getting used to, and when you're a PC gamer, you already have gotten used to it. I think the biggest reason for this conversation is because too many games these days are FPS games, and so asking for a controller is basically saying you want to play FPS games on a system that isn't limited by controllers. It's an expression of refusing to learn your advantages, even if that's not what it's really about in a case-by-case scenario.

Now, combo brawling systems like Batman, fighting games, or racing will require a pad, or a certain about of extra programing to not suck on a keyboard. No one talks about playing those on the PC though.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I can use a controller I just can't use one for long periods of time. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis in both my elbows so having my elbows bent while holing a controller tends to become painful after awhile. With a mouse and keyboard though I don't have to bend my elbows and can use one for long periods of time.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
What's not to understand? A keyboard and mouse simply offers greater and more precise control compared to a controller in most types of games. I'm sure there are some wannabe-intellectual pricks out there who will call me out as some kind of elitist for stating this, but I find it to be true (and frankly, the only elitists here are the people who think calling other people elitists somehow makes them better).

Obviously it's not going to be the best input for EVERY genre - fighting games and platformers tend to play better with a controller, and I wouldn't play a realistic flight simulator with anything but a popper joystick. But for anything where aiming or using menus is important - this would include FPSs, TPSs, RPGs, RTSs, MMOs, and a host of other gametypes - the mouse and keyboard is superior. And even then there are exceptions. Mirror's Edge plays just fine with a keyboard and mouse, but Halo always plays better with a controller.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
albino boo said:
I have used a keyboard and mouse to play games on the PC since the early 90s. I know instinctively the WASD setup and mouse aiming and I really don't feel the need to spend money on a new controller which I will have to speed ages trying to remember what key does what.
^
that's the general reason right there.

course >.> I notice they also tend to really only bring up shooters and RTS in this though -.- like those are the ONLY kinds of games on the PC.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
For me it really depends on the genre of game. In shooters I prefer the mouse and keyboard set-up, but platformers go a lot smoother with a controller. RPGs that are on the computer generally benefit from the mouse and keyboard as well.
That sums up most that I play on computers, although RTS games would definitely be mouse and keyboard and fighters would use controllers.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Is that really a thing? I'm echoing what a lot of other people have already said but...

Keyboard/mouse combo is the best choice for FPS's, MMO's, strategy (both TB and RT), and isometric RPG's.

I find a controller to be better for platformers, racing, and fighting games. Although if I had the money to blow on a decent wheel, I'd totally go for that for racing. That's the one genre where I absolutely cannot play with a keyboard. Need that throttle/break control.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It is as I said the last time this thread came up and every time it will come up.

For 99% of instances if you think one is inferior to the other just remember it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
In the first place: because I do not own a console nor controller and I shouldn't be forced to buy an item for my platform while the optimal control setup is the mouse / keyboard in the first place.

Apologists for crappy ports often keep saying that "you should just buy a controller and play it with that". Well no, if you release it for PC you set it up for the control setup most commonly used in PC gaming.

Secondly, there are only a handful of game types where a controller might actually inherently be the superior way of playing.

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
I just recently made the switch from console to PC, and I have to say that having an xbox 360 controller to use has made the transition way easier. I just got the Humble Origin Bundle, and I doubt I'd be able to play Burnout without one. I'm trying to make the switch to mouse and keyboard for shooters, but it's hard after using some sort of analog for 11 years. When I'm playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode and having trouble aiming, it's hard to resist the temptation.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Not enough buttons on a controller for some PC games. I feel like playing some MMOs like gw2 would SUCK for me personally on a controller. I loved using a controller for skyrim though. Then also with games like dota 2 I cannot absolutely not use a controller.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Let me port a game to consoles without support for a controller and force you to buy a keyboard and mouse to hook up to play it. Let me know how you feel about that and you'll have an understanding of why PC gamers get irked when the default control scheme for their platform is ignored when games are ported.

I should add that I don't have issues using a controller, I just naturally prefer a keyboard and mouse. I use an arcade stick for fighting games and when I play older titles from consoles via emulators or what not, I generally use a controller. However, when it comes to new games released on PC, I feel like being forced to use a controller is silly. If I choose to use one, I can use one, if not, it should have been designed with viable keyboard/mouse controls if they want to release it on a PC.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
00slash00 said:
Periodically I see people taking about using a controller to play PC games. Sometimes I see people who prefer to use a controller but more often, I see people complaining about the fact that they need a controller to play in correctly. I never really understood why so many PC gamers have a problem with playing their games using a controller. I remember back in the early to mid 90s, when owning a joystick was practically a requirement for PC gaming. Owning a usb controller seems to be the modern day equivalent of a joystick, in the sense that so many games (mostly ports) require once for the best gaming experience. So why do you feel/think there's more opposition from PC gamers to using a controller, than there was to using a joystick?
To answer your question: It doesn't.

You are generalizing an entire group spanning millions based on the opinions of maybe 20 people in real life and 200 random internet douches.

I know people that prefer controllers for their PC games, some that prefer M/K, and some such as myself that can equally enjoy two different inputs without having to defend one or the other out of insecurity.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Beats the fuck out of me. I have no qualms about using a controller with PC games if it's more convenient.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I love how people in this thread keep dismissively saying that there's only a handful of genres which play better with a controller. I mean, it's just side scrolling fighters, racing games, flight games and platformers at the very least. Just some of the most notable genres that you're likely to name if someone asked you to list them off.

I mean, if you're not particularly interested in playing them then that's fine, but don't pretend that those are some really niche genres or anything.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I can't aim with analogue sticks to save my life, so mouse and keyboard seems like the logical choice for FPS. However I acknowledge that for some games a controller just works better, which is why I bought a Logitech usb controller as well for games like Assassin's creed which were clearly designed with controllers in mind.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I think generally you should make an effort to have a PC game able to use Kb&M decently when you port since everyone who has a PC has one but may not have a controller however some games just don?t work well with Kb&M. Trying to design a control system that works effectively on both a controller and Kb&M rather than tailoring it with one or the other in mind could result in both not being utilized as well as they could be

You use to have games that require a joystick to play. Requiring a controller is no different. I don't think it's an issue so long as it is clear on the box that it requires a controller or that one is strongly recommend if it is playable with a Kb&M but not ideal. I only bought myself a controller about year ago. If a game was on the PC that was honestly bad without one I have the same reaction I do when it's a a console exclusive. That is being a bit disappointed and just not buying it. I prefer to play using my PC and I'm not going to go buy a console. I would rather a game came out on the PC requiring a controller than not at all.

Although if it is a shooter requiring a controller I likely won't get it cause I can't aim with the analog stick to save my life.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
00slash00 said:
Periodically I see people taking about using a controller to play PC games. Sometimes I see people who prefer to use a controller but more often, I see people complaining about the fact that they need a controller to play in correctly. I never really understood why so many PC gamers have a problem with playing their games using a controller. I remember back in the early to mid 90s, when owning a joystick was practically a requirement for PC gaming. Owning a usb controller seems to be the modern day equivalent of a joystick, in the sense that so many games (mostly ports) require once for the best gaming experience. So why do you feel/think there's more opposition from PC gamers to using a controller, than there was to using a joystick?
Where is this opposition of which you speak? Steam's Big Picture mode was pretty much well-received. I myself own one 360 controller, one Logitech Rumblepad, and a MadCatz Fightstick Pro. If I had my friends over on a more regular basis, I'd double that number.

I think you're misinterpreting the typical frustration PC gamers have when UIs built specifically for controllers are ported whole and unchanged for PC, especially for shooters, where we prefer KB+M. In cases like these, we'd like for a more PC-specific UI for when we're using the keyboard, such as letting us bind stuff to numerals 1-10, having one-button access to every single menu item, stuff like that.

Get it? We don't hate the controllers, but when we're not using them, give us a keyboard-friendly interface.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I prefer a controller for first person shooters, if only because turning all the way around doesn't require a massive swipe of the mouse or on a touch pad. Still pretty accurate for me.

Though I'm sure someone will still try to convince me of the superiority of the mouse anyways despite the whole argument being subjective.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Uh... they don't? It's reason #139809128 why PCs are better than consoles: USB controllers in addition to m/kb. Some games feel better with analog sticks, some don't. When they do, we plug that shit in. No true gaming PC is complete without a wired 360 controller.

The other "duh" reason is that PCs are superior at emulating older content, and many of those only work properly with analog stick controls. Trying to emulate ps2 games with kb/m is a nightmare, so we just plug in dat controller and it's fine.

Where did you get the impression that anyone "opposes" controllers? They're just a tool available in an already large toolbox. KB/M is superior for some games, controllers are superior for others. Having both available is, logically, the best situation.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I hate posts like the OP's because it puts words in the mouths of a whole group of people.

I know some people dislike controllers because some people feel they are inferior for certain types of games. I personally feel that controllers are inferior for just about all first person games, like first person shooters, Skyrim type games, etc. Also for most real time strategy games and action rpgs.

I also think some games are better with controllers. I only play Rayman Origins with a controller.

But at the end of the day how can you really argue against choice? Why should people who prefer keyboard and mouse be forced into controller only? Why should people who prefer controller be forced into keyboard and mouse. Sometimes game design necessitates one or the other but where possible it is great for players to have choice.