Why do people enlist?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
- Some people use it as a way out of a bad situation. The army will give free training and a paying job to almost anyone with four functioning limbs and half a brain cell.

- Some people are bastar patriots who want to contribute to the defense of their country.

- Some people want to kill.

- Some people just want a job that involves playing with big guns.

- Some people enlist because it's expected of them, particularly those that come from 'military families'.

- Some people enlist simply for lack of a better idea.

These are all reasons I've heard while talking to recruits, serving soldiers and veterans.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Alon Doron said:
Quaxar said:
Alon Doron said:
Quaxar said:
Well, I understand that in the US for example enlisting comes with a few goodies on the side. Then there's also the people who like weapons, seek adventure or prefer the clear working structure.

Isn't there any option for you to do substitute social work or something?
Well, not really. I'm fit for combat (the army does something called "combat profiling"). I have no real reason, as far as the army's concerned, to exchange my service, nor do I want to do so. Why escape something that's a big part of my society, anyway?
Here, if you're deemed fit to serve, we have the choice of going with it for six months or rather doing something in a caring professions for nine months instead. So I was wondering if Israel had the same system or if there was only one way.

Captcha: be my friend ... that's sweet
"Caring professions"? What does that mean?
Uh, something like helping in a retirement home, a hospital, social services like a soup kitchen or I don't know what else. Personally, I went with emergency medical services and had a jolly good time.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
As far as I'm aware it's because some people just don't have the grades to live a worthwhile career. I've only heard this from one of my teachers who told us about had a student who said that the infantry was his only option for a job.

Of course there'll always be some nutter who wants to shoot the crap out of everything, so I suppose it's better for them to be in the army.

Slightly off-topic: I had no idea that joining the army paid for college in America. Seems to me like a bit of a dirty method of getting more people to enlist. Please tell me if I'm wrong in thinking that, I don't mean to sound ignorant.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Alon Doron said:
Luca72 said:
Matthew94 said:
Luca72 said:
You're missing the big picture. What you say is a 'buttered', easy mandatory service. Here it's at least 3 years long, with long periods away from home for combat soldiers, and with a high chance you'll be called to serve again at any time after your service as a reservoir soldier.
I believe there are less dangerous and more flexible alternatives. I think it all starts with education.
The reason I describe it as "buttered" is because I think it's the only way it would fly if it was presented in the US today. You make a good point though, that the mandatory service isn't there in Israel primarily because it's deemed "good for society", but because it's necessary for survival.

I watched a documentary about a few areas in Israel where ex-military twentysomethings had basically "retired" to for a while to deal with PTSD, and how a lot of them now had strong anti-war and anti-establishment views. What was interesting though was that whenever they were asked they all said that their service was something they looked back on fondly, saying it brought them together and that they were generally proud to serve their country. I personally feel like the US military as a whole is causing more problems globally than its fixing, so I was impressed to learn that Israel seems to have a lot of good ideas about its own.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I haven't enlisted personally so I can't speak for myself but I do know a fair few people who have and for them the main reason has been because there wasn't very many good alternatives. I mean it's not really a good time to be a young person without a degree, jobs are scarce and most of them don't want people with no degree or experience, I know one guy who signed up largely because it was a choice between that and working in Woolworths forever (which certainly wouldn't have worked out given that it shut down just after he joined). The Army not only gives you a job but it houses you, feeds you, trains you and makes you much more employable in the future. It also helps give you purpose and direction which they desperately needed, joining the army has improved their lives immeasurably.

So I think a lot of people join because its just a fairly good thing to do overall.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I enlisted in the army after high school and as a result I learned Mandarin Chinese for free in a year and a half (granted, I didn't pick the language). I don't know any colleges who can offer that.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
All of the people I know who've joined the armed services (Navy, Army, Air Force, National Guard) have all had the same reason: For the money.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Why enlist? Well, it's a job. I'd imagine that's the #1 reason. You also get other perks but in the U.S. the biggest perk is the government will pay for your college if you serve for so many years. Plus you get to play with really cool equipment and if you're lucky enough, you get to see many different parts of the world.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well the way I understand it, in the US, the most common reason is poverty. The Military usually offers a reasonably secure job with benefits that you don't have to go through an interview process for. I saw a video once that talked about the recruitment methods of the US Armed Forces and it featured recruitment officers going around to the most poverty stricken slums in the US and handing out brochures to any and all young people they could find.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
To those folks saying the U.S. has never tried it. You are wrong. The U.S. had a conscription army until after Vietnam. It did not work out so well for either the Korean conflict nor the Vietnam conflict, hence why we switched to all volunteer army.

As for my reasons for joining? I was a directionless 18 year old, it gave me some stability, discipline, training in a career, and money for college. Also turned my pudgy ass into a better shape as well.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Luca72 said:
I've got a question for you though - do you think having a mandatory required enlistment is a good or bad idea
No, to me it is tantamount to slavery.
Do you think that for the US, or for every nation in every situation? Because I could very well see mandatory enlistment being important for some situations, especially back in the day when you couldn't partially substitute manpower with technology.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Sometimes you do learn jobs skills in military service, I sometimes wish I had enlisted to be a helicopter pilot, and after the military you can fly for EMT services and such. Some employers offer special considerations for former military members.

Some people are very into the military, they want the danger/adventure.

Also, for some it's the brotherhood that comes from being in a volunteer military. This may be diminished for mandatory service.

I think that mandatory military service is not a good thing. You'll get a lot of people that don't want to be there and they can end up dragging down the morale of the whole unit. Volunteer military soldiers asked for it. They are better motivated than draft troops. This is why the US military doesn't want draft troops. They'd have to mix them up with the better troops and would end up causing more harm than good.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
In the US, being in the military pays for college. There are also a lot of job benefits. Having been in the military looks fantastic on a resume and, in many cases, you can get a guaranteed interview. Also, you can learn trades in the military, such as automobile repair.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Alon Doron said:
I'm an Israeli pre-draft teenager.
As I expect you to know, we all *have* to serve in the army (of course with exceptions (girls usually aren't sent to the front-lines, and ultra-orthodox Jews, well... Aren't yet integrated)).

Anyway, to the discussion at hand.
A few years ago I thought of the army service as a waste of time, something that will hold me back from learning the trade I wanted, or just to have a normal life as you may call it. Then I got older (funny saying that as a 18-year-old), and I just wanted to try and make the most of it. Hell, I even trained. That doesn't mean I like what I have to do... but still, it's the way of life here.

I've always wondered why people in other countries enlist. Why would they? It isn't mandatory, nor it is directly protecting your loved ones (you aren't guarding a border 20 miles from home, just saying).

So, to the question: Why do people enlist? (where it is non-mandatory)
(I meant no offence or insult, just trying to figure out a state of mind that isn't familiar to me)

P.S. If I made any grammar or spelling mistakes, sorry. English isn't my first language...
Well if you enlist as an officer then they pay your way through an actually pretty good school and only expect a few years of service in return. Other than that people can just enjoy the job, they might see it as a way to get their foot in the door (military service looks good on a resume), or they may just be patriotic. Lots of reasons, pick one.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Alon Doron said:
I'm an Israeli pre-draft teenager.
As I expect you to know, we all *have* to serve in the army (of course with exceptions (girls usually aren't sent to the front-lines, and ultra-orthodox Jews, well... Aren't yet integrated)).

Anyway, to the discussion at hand.
A few years ago I thought of the army service as a waste of time, something that will hold me back from learning the trade I wanted, or just to have a normal life as you may call it. Then I got older (funny saying that as a 18-year-old), and I just wanted to try and make the most of it. Hell, I even trained. That doesn't mean I like what I have to do... but still, it's the way of life here.

I've always wondered why people in other countries enlist. Why would they? It isn't mandatory, nor it is directly protecting your loved ones (you aren't guarding a border 20 miles from home, just saying).

So, to the question: Why do people enlist? (where it is non-mandatory)
(I meant no offence or insult, just trying to figure out a state of mind that isn't familiar to me)

P.S. If I made any grammar or spelling mistakes, sorry. English isn't my first language...
In America its all for honor, feeling a certain need to (my case), or just because you need the money (Atm). Then there is of coarse the person who just wants to make it a career, but most don't considering they don't stay 15 or 25 years. That's what I am seeing anyways.

Honor because the Armed forces here are so hyped. They will call you a Warrior, a hero, no one will question you. It gives you a level of superiority in the American culture because of your "willingness" to serve. No one here bad mouths a solider because its beat into our heads that they are on some level of benevolent's that makes them a higher class in American culture. I don't really see why. Its a Career choice.

Now to my story is I felt a certain need to. My family all were in some sort of armed forces branch. Grandfather the Army, Uncle the Air Force, and my Father the Navy. They all saw the world, but never saw action. Now as you know America is still in a stagnant war in Iraq. Were still having issues with Iran, N.Korea with a new dictator and still doing the same shit as his dad. So I looked at enlisting in the Marines, even though I am a high school student I was still allowed to look at it for a career. I was going to, but through some unfortunate events that is no longer a reality. Which is a good thing. My views in the past couple of months have changed dramatically.

For the whole money aspect it's simple, you go into the armed forces you get housing, insurance, and a decent pay. Our economic troubles led more to enlist because of the fact they will still have pay. Its a terrible reason, but most have to in order to make a decent living in the still recovering economy.

Then of coarse a military career, but i'm sure you can figure that one out. You get to travel and get paid for it, along with the whole honor aspect above.

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
Well if you enlist as an officer then they pay your way through an actually pretty good school and only expect a few years of service in return. Other than that people can just enjoy the job, they might see it as a way to get their foot in the door (military service looks good on a resume), or they may just be patriotic. Lots of reasons, pick one.
An officer is commissioned, not enlisted.

I enlisted because I wasn't doing anything in college and I continue to reenlist because I enjoy the lifestyle and culture.

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
I am pretty much 100% certain that I'm going to join the British Army. I'd like to join as an Officer in the Parachute Regiment, and I'll be taking a scholarship next year for entry to Sandhurst, where they train officers.
For me, I seek something that I can completely dedicate my life to, while doing something good, all while experiencing a level of risk and adventure that most people never do. I'm certain I'll see some shit that won't be pleasant, I'll probably have to shoot at and kill other people, and I'll run the risk of being shot/stabbed/blown up/beheaded on the internet. But for me, it doesn't matter, because I sure as hell don't want to look back on my life in 30 years and have regrets. I want to live as much as I can, and what better way to do that than by leading men into combat?
Sure, I may die in the process, but better to die living tommorrow than to die in 70 years never having lived.
That's my reasoning, feel free to take issue with it, it doesn't matter to me what people think, I'm not joining to impress anyone or earn respect; I couldn't care less to be honest.