Why do people feel the need to believe in conspiracies?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Conspiracies make people feel exclusive and informed--like they're clued in on a piece of secret information, as though they're some sort of honorary Freemason. It makes them feel like they're doing the world a service--fighting a battle that very few will fight. Sort of like being a masked hero, only without the mask or any sort of real accomplishments.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Lilani said:
Conspiracies make people feel exclusive and informed--like they're clued in on a piece of secret information, as though they're some sort of honorary Freemason. It makes them feel like they're doing the world a service--fighting a battle that very few will fight. Sort of like being a masked hero, only without the mask or any sort of real accomplishments.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
People like having a boogeyman for when things get bad. Or they want to justify why they don't like someone/something.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
DanDeFool said:
Example 1: The JFK assassination.

Is it more comforting to believe that one crazy asshole can take down the most powerful man in the world for no good reason, or is it more comforting to believe that only a massive conspiracy of very powerful individuals and organizations with tremendous resources and a carefully planned agenda could accomplish such a feat?

I think the majority of us would find it terrifying to think that some random jerk can change the course of history if he feels like it, but that's probably pretty damn close to the truth.

Example 2: 9/11 - The Destruction of the WTC

Again, is it more comforting to believe that a bunch of crazy assholes with minimal training and very little intelligence can perform a terrorist act that can kill thousands and cause worldwide political and economic chaos if they just happen to get lucky (which they did), or that it would take some kind of global conspiracy to execute such an event?

Most people probably don't want to consider the former case, but it's true: causing massive panic, destruction, and chaos is, apparently, surprisingly easy if you have the right plan and fortune on your side.
Completely agreed, but I want to add on to it.

I think that things like the Illuminati, the New World Order, and other conspiracies like that are also a way of rationalizing the world we live in. Take american politics. We all vote for one side of the other. We as a country have never elected a third party candidate. For as long as the partys have been around, every president has been a Republican, or a Democrat, and they have always, though moreso in recent times, campaigned on diametricly opposite promises. More taxes, more welfare, less taxes, less welfare, social values, moral values, etc etc ad nauseum infinatum. And yet when they get into office, every single president does the same damn thing, every single time.

When you look at things it's easier to believe that there's something in the shadows making them do the things that go against their promises rather than believe they're all corrupt politicians looking out for just #1 instead of the #1 nation. It's easier to live with the spooky faceless evil than the evil with a face lying to yours.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
Why do people believe in conspiracies you ask? Why do you want to know? Who sent you? Who are you working for?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Hard to say. Have you ever been lied to while you were growing up. Say about Santa, the Easter bunny, or something of the sort. While the knowledge gained along with finding out that they don't exist is that people will lie to you 'for the greater good'. Now I'm not saying this is why they believe what they do, but I do think it might start with the acquisition of this knowledge.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Moviebob said it best.

It's just easier to believe that there is some greater order at play instead of random chaos. Even if that greater order is monstrous, order makes people calm.

For some reason, some people like to imagine that 9/11 was orchestrated by the US government as a means of gaining access to oil fields and not a misguided religious war involving some guys hijacking and crashing planes.

The idea of the US government being the bad guys makes people relax as there is a clear goal to their strategy and the average person is not at risk. The idea of Al Qaeda being the bad guys is unsettling however, because there is only undirected hatred of the west and it represents chaos and disorder. Nothing is sacred. No one is safe.

Conspiracy theories are horrifying little security blankets for people with shot nerves and weak sanities.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Brawndo said:
Topics like Illuminati, New World Order, UFO cover-ups, etc are all extremely popular on most forums I go on. I'm amazed how many people truly buy into these things. Most real conspiracies involve money, drugs, murdering a spouse, or other pedestrian criminal activity. The biggest revealed conspiracies involving the government acting "evil" were things like the Pentagon Papers, covering up the My Lai massacre, and overthrows of foreign leaders orchestrated by the CIA. Even then, these are just PR embarrassments and realpolitik, there are no mystical or supernatural forces at play.

Maybe I'm wrong about this all, but I view the governments of the world as the Vogons: always assume apathy and inertia before malevolence.
YoUR oNE OF tHEM, aREn't yUO?!?! I kNOW ThE TRuth! YoU cANt HIdE ForEvER1 tHE WORLd WiLl kNOw! tHE pENGuIN aRMADA WiLL fALl! aLl hAIL ThE kIttEN cONVENaNT!!

For the conspiracy theorists who are not genuinely mentally ill (paranoid schizophrenics for example) are probably either painfully stupid, heavy drug users or are reaching for something to make them feel smarter/better informed than others.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Depends on the Conspiracy and depends on the reasoning behind it, depends on the information involved. Discussing conspiracies and fringe beliefs in detail is a prospect that you can't do proper justice to in a single post, but take ANY conspiracy and look at the evidence and you can usually find and understand the logic behind why people believe in it and why when you set the government or common analysis beside it you find flaws and begin to consider that it is possible. Take two of the biggest fringe beliefs in the US (because I'm an American, I'll go with that since I don't want to do any other nationalities an insult by discussing your own unusual incidents).

UFO crash at Roswell, and JFK Assassination. Pretty much everyone has heard about these two no matter where you're from.

The UFO Crash at Roswell.

According to the accounts, an extraterrestrial spacecraft crashed between Roswell and Corona New Mexico in 1947. The common fringe belief is that a craft complete with bodies was recovered by the US government and it was concealed. There is massive amounts of evidence that says it was a combination of events, partly a project Mogul Balloon, a Top Secret project to detect Nuclear Weapons tests, partly Air Force parachute dummy testing, and a general cover up of one Top Secret Project. The skeptics cite numerous inconsistencies that mainly stem from the eyewitness statements of individuals that were there who claimed to have seen craft, bodies, debris and otherwise. A number of them were military personnel who should have known the difference between a 'flying saucer' and a balloon...even eye witness statements who claimed to see four foot tall aliens and the government says they saw six foot tall parachute dummies. Lost records that were supposed to have been kept indefinitely (Roswell Army Air Field base logs and outgoing reports for 1946-1948). Materials that were supposedly vastly different from those of a Mogul Balloon being reported at the crash. Add in Personnel reports that the Chief of staff of the Air-force made a specific detour to Roswell at the same time...it makes you wonder.

Look at the two and you see a consistent thread, individuals say one thing, and people are told 'you didn't see that, you're completely wrong'. It's not so much what is being said as who is saying it that causes some issue. First hand accounts (by individuals who were there, and there is an exceedingly long list of those accounts that rarely get discussed) and second hand accounts from Military personnel gives a large body of statements that say one thing, while the government says something else that contradicts it. You're talking about (supposedly) honest people saying something, and experts who have an advanced (for the time) knowledge base who are all saying 'this wasn't human'. And the government is saying 'you're all wrong, nothing to see here you squashed events from over six years into one memory'.

A plausible issue exists with the official account, and eyewitnesses can support it.

The JFK Assassination.
Setting aside the eye witness statements, the probable cause on the part of everyone from the Soviets to the Mob to Fidel Castro to the US Army. I'm going to cite one reason that people believe that there was a conspiracy;

The US Government said there was.

Of the two groups that investigated the Kennedy Assassination, (The Warren Commission and the House Select Committee on Assassinations) the first one claimed that Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman operating alone who killed Kennedy. According to the House Select Committee on Assassinations, JFK was most likely killed by two gunmen, with four shots being fired, one being fired from the Grassy Knoll.

Now setting aside eyewitness testimony of other gunmen, setting aside inconsistent information on the Autopsy of President Kennedy at Bethesda and the suspicious circumstances around it, setting aside the dynamic of Jack Ruby and other parties involved in the whole affair, once again, you have the US Government, who has access to all the information all the most up to date and cutting edge technology, operating with unlimited resources and earnestly searching for the truth...come up with two separate conclusions. Which one are you to believe? Which one can you work off of?

Now yes, the Acoustic evidence that the HSCoA decided represented a second gunman on the Grassy knoll was challenged in 2001 and 2003. But then you have the witness testimony that says shots came from the Knoll. Again, there in lies the problem...a plausible issue exists and a body of evidence supports it.

It's somewhat disingenuous to simply say that 'conspiracies are only believed by nutjobs' because the big ones tend to stem not from outlandish grasping at straws, but by plausible issues in the main report that have a body of evidence and testimony supporting it. Yes, there are conspiracies out there that are inane and ludicrous which are only continued by the misinformed such as the arguments that 9/11 was an inside job or that Roosevelt knew about the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor before the fact.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
DanDeFool said:

Is it more comforting to believe that one crazy asshole can take down the most powerful man in the world for no good reason, or is it more comforting to believe that only a massive conspiracy of very powerful individuals and organizations with tremendous resources and a carefully planned agenda could accomplish such a feat?

I think the majority of us would find it terrifying to think that some random jerk can change the course of history if he feels like it, but that's probably pretty damn close to the truth.

Again, is it more comforting to believe that a bunch of crazy assholes with minimal training and very little intelligence can perform a terrorist act that can kill thousands and cause worldwide political and economic chaos if they just happen to get lucky (which they did), or that it would take some kind of global conspiracy to execute such an event?

Most people probably don't want to consider the former case, but it's true: causing massive panic, destruction, and chaos is, apparently, surprisingly easy if you have the right plan and fortune on your side.
Actually, the thought that nutjobs can cause such issues is far less disturbing to me than the thought that our government would touch such an operation even by proxy.

OT: There are many reasons why people are willing to believe in conspiracies, but one of the biggest is the fact that occasionally, the theorists are proven right. So far, only the less... crazy conspiracies have even a chance, but the government is, has been, and for the foreseeable future will continue to be involved in a wide range of coverups and outright lies. Take our aerospace programs for instance, a general rule of thumb to follow is that the government will begin testing a black project prototype aircraft five to fifteen years before the general public is aware the necessary technology to build it exists. Many declassified black project aircraft almost single handedly explain certain earlier UFO sightings.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
I do believe in conspiracies.. And there is/has been plenty of those..

Its the 'conspiracy theories' you have to double-check, 90% of it is junk..

But what about the last 10%?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I think that conspiracy theorists are bored with there lives, and seek to find some greater mystery in their life to add mystery and intrigue to an otherwise boring existance. these people also tend to suffer from delusions of grandeur, thinking that 'they are the only ones who see the truth', and believing that people will even come after them to kill or scare them in order to 'silence the truth'.

My ex-girlfriend's dad was a huge conspiracy theorist (as well as a devoted fundamentalist chritian... who knew). his main conspiracy was about how 9/11 was perpetrated by the government, and he even wrote some books on the conspiracy. Tho he (and i think even his wife) believed in a few other conspiracies, such as Obama being a muslim, that global warming was a scam to make Al Gore rich and that it could never happen because of 'God', that there is a huge group of people and large corporations trying to secretly take over and control the world in order to change the world for 'evil purposes', that evolution is a lie, and i think he might have even said something about linking Al Gore to 9/11,...

He even had the whole 'delusions of grandeur' going, believing that the government was trying to kill/scare him in order to 'silence the truth'...

...I grow to hate humanity a little more every day...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Heronblade said:
DanDeFool said:

Actually, the thought that nutjobs can cause such issues is far less disturbing to me than the thought that our government would touch such an operation even by proxy.

OT: There are many reasons why people are willing to believe in conspiracies, but one of the biggest is the fact that occasionally, the theorists are proven right. So far, only the less... crazy conspiracies have even a chance, but the government is, has been, and for the foreseeable future will continue to be involved in a wide range of coverups and outright lies. Take our aerospace programs for instance, a general rule of thumb to follow is that the government will begin testing a black project prototype aircraft five to fifteen years before the general public is aware the necessary technology to build it exists. Many declassified black project aircraft almost single handedly explain certain earlier UFO sightings.
That's a good point. Another good example is <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon_%28signals_intelligence%29>The Echelon System which was once posited in conspiracy theories and turned out to be absolutely real. Apparently, big brother really is listening in on your every conversation... or at least they can, if they want to.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Custard_Angel said:
Moviebob said it best.

It's just easier to believe that there is some greater order at play instead of random chaos. Even if that greater order is monstrous, order makes people calm.

For some reason, some people like to imagine that 9/11 was orchestrated by the US government as a means of gaining access to oil fields and not a misguided religious war involving some guys hijacking and crashing planes.

The idea of the US government being the bad guys makes people relax as there is a clear goal to their strategy and the average person is not at risk. The idea of Al Qaeda being the bad guys is unsettling however, because there is only undirected hatred of the west and it represents chaos and disorder. Nothing is sacred. No one is safe.

Conspiracy theories are horrifying little security blankets for people with shot nerves and weak sanities.
This. For all intense of purposes. This basicly sums it up.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
i have no idea why... but sometimes i just try to use thought control so if anyone does read my mind they will only see what i want them to see.... MWAHAHAHA.

Grigori361

Apr 6, 2009
Brawndo said:
Topics like Illuminati, New World Order, UFO cover-ups, etc are all extremely popular on most forums I go on. I'm amazed how many people truly buy into these things. Most real conspiracies involve money, drugs, murdering a spouse, or other pedestrian criminal activity. The biggest revealed conspiracies involving the government acting "evil" were things like the Pentagon Papers, covering up the My Lai massacre, and overthrows of foreign leaders orchestrated by the CIA. Even then, these are just PR embarrassments and realpolitik, there are no mystical or supernatural forces at play.

Maybe I'm wrong about this all, but I view the governments of the world as the Vogons: always assume apathy and inertia before malevolence.
Because you're working for the CIA? :p

or maybe because I am.

Or..... maybe neither one of us is?

Or is that just what they want us to think?

There's only one way to be sure.... Kill both of us.