Why do people pay for Xbox Live?

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
I don't pay it cause I don't play any games online on my 360 or my PS3 so it's a moot point but PSN did have it nice where you didn't have to pay to play your games online but in light of recent events, yeah maybe the money is helping for a bit more protection thought yeah Microsoft isn't hack proof either

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
I tried PSN...
Not nearly as good in my oppinion.
The headset alone was a hassel just putting in, not to mention it just doesn't appeal to me at all.
The lack of social connection, it's marketplace, even the slow and grating updates for games all just makes Live look so much easier. It's never fun paying for another year when the time rolls around, but overall it works much better than the PSN for me and it ends up being worth it.

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
I pay because I like to play.. Simple as that.. Sure I'd love for it to be free.. But I love playing online more then I love $69 a year..

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
I pay for the multiplayer bonuses (getting content early, beta codes, etc) and for the superior(in my opinion) setup as far as navigation is concerned. the xbox is just easier to use than the ps3, so im ok paying a little for it. also xbox has pretty good security, not just in terms of not being hacked but also being able to avoid players and give negative rep to those that deserve it. the final reason is netflix streaming. yes i know that i pay for netflix anyways but its easier than buying a separate streaming component for my upstairs room.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I own a PS3, 360 and a Wii and the online services are in this order:
1)Xbox360
2)Ps3
3)Wii

Why is the one that you have to pay a whopping $60 a year for the best?
-Simply put, 360 has had a better track record for its online services. Its servers rarely go down and when they do, xbox makes sure you know it. Even during major releases with millions of people online, the servers stay up.
-If I had to rate them, I would also give the better user interface to the 360 as well. It's very easy to navigate, even to my technologically challenged future mother-in-law.
-The tech support, though annoying, have always helped me out quickly and reliably. Sony's can be hit or miss, in my personal opinion. (My PS3 yellow lighted on me -_-)
-I really enjoy 360's play feedback system. Occasionally you'll get a doucher who will give you negative rep for no reason, but those are few and far between. This system allows people who are being cheaters, asshats, or people who have very offensive names to get suspended or banned. This is a good thing and I wish more consoles and PC services would do this.
-The chat system. This is huge for me. I have friends I went to school with and I enjoy being able to talk to them while we're all on different games. Sadly we have different tastes in games, but thankfully we have a way to cross chat while playing our flavor of the week. Also, sending a quick voice message to a buddy is ideal if you get a quick break between rounds in a game.
-Microsoft, though a devil corporation, does give its customers deals of the week for various arcade games. Paying for the service also allows users to get betas and some DLC sooner than PSN.

I enjoyed PSN when it was up, but I spent most of my time on XBL because of my friends and my family I have on there.

I think you'll have the community split on this subject. Some can easily understand why people will pay, others will say "OMG $60 is a fortune!"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well well well now...

Eight warnings, a multitude of jokes lacking in taste, and a massively pointless argument which is that godless abomination, the console war. Watching you guys in action, I realize that sometimes...people have way too much free time on their hands.

Sony fans, X-Box fans...simmer down. You're spinning your wheels inside a swamp, going nowhere fast.

This argument doesn't even have anything to do with the OP's real question. He asked you...why do people pay money into X-Box Live when you get decent service from it for free? Your pages and pages of argument missed the point entirely because some people want to rag on each other over the Sony-getting-hacked issue, which was never a subject of the original post AT ALL.

The answer is simple: X-Box Live users pay money merely because they want it all, regardless of whether anyone thinks it's a waste or not. They want ALL the features, the WHOLE nine yards, period.

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
SeriousIssues said:
The headset alone was a hassel just putting in, not to mention it just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Huh? You can use any bluetooth headset, I use a headset that came free with my phone. Connecting a bluetooth headset to the PS3 is as easy as pairing the headset with your phone.

FalloutJack said:
This argument doesn't even have anything to do with the OP's real question. He asked you...why do people pay money into X-Box Live when you get decent service from it for free? Your pages and pages of argument missed the point entirely because some people want to rag on each other over the Sony-getting-hacked issue, which was never a subject of the original post AT ALL.

The answer is simple: X-Box Live users pay money merely because they want it all, regardless of whether anyone thinks it's a waste or not. They want ALL the features, the WHOLE nine yards, period.

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?
What I was basically asking was: Why are people paying to access stuff they already paid for (online multiplayer and Netflix) and paying for free stuff (Facebook, twitter, last.fm, etc.)?

All the features that are part of Live Gold that actually cost Microsoft any money are cross-game chat and the TrueSkill matchmaking, THAT'S IT. Cross-game chat is like a program (it is not a service) as it uses peer-to-peer networking so it costs Microsoft $0.00 when people use it, would you pay a yearly fee to use Microsoft Office that you already bought? The TrueSkill matchmaking is just an algorithm that was developed like 5 years ago, I'm sure the R&D costs have long been paid for. TrueSkill actually costs Microsoft money to keep it running since it has to store stats (much like a COD server) so each player in every game has their skill properly assessed. These servers would take very little bandwidth to run as it's just keeping stats and applying the algorithm. If you think $60/year from each Gold member is what it takes to run those TrueSkill servers, you're nuts.

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
I only play online games on my computer, not my 360. Unfortunately, my computer broke recently. Even worse, MY 360 BROKE...... AGAAIIN! The second red ring virus on my 360. DAMMIT! At least my computer is being fixed on it's warranty, but my 360 was ALREADY FIXED ON IT'S WARRANTY. ARGHGHGGHGHGHGGG!!! DAMN YOU MICROSOFT! Too bad I own some of my favorite games on my 360, or you would be down one whiny, furious customer.

I know this isn't about Xbox Live...... You have a point about Xbox Live.... I finally said something relevant to the post...............That is all.

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
omega_peaches said:
Orinon said:
omega_peaches said:
Guys, the PSN down jokes got old after the first 1000.
it did for PS3 owners
though seriously It's a simple thing
I own an Xbox 360 and I'm willing to bet that that Xbox plus two years of Live is cheaper than a PS3
Xbox=$300
1 Year of Live=$60
300+60+60=420
PS3=300
420>300
Basic math get?
ummm Except for the fact that Xbox's don't cost that much, the PS3 is $345(Plus taxes) and I'm referring to the PS3 BEFORE the price went down, because I my Xbox is rather old so when I got mine it was probably cheaper than the PS3 which was higher in price.
now stop being a Sony fanboy and insulting me just because I said something you don't like

Also why isn't this considered a flame thread this is a complete jab at Xbox owners.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Orinon said:
omega_peaches said:
Orinon said:
omega_peaches said:
Guys, the PSN down jokes got old after the first 1000.
it did for PS3 owners
though seriously It's a simple thing
I own an Xbox 360 and I'm willing to bet that that Xbox plus two years of Live is cheaper than a PS3
Xbox=$300
1 Year of Live=$60
300+60+60=420
PS3=300
420>300
Basic math get?
ummm Except for the fact that Xbox's don't cost that much, the PS3 is $345(Plus taxes) and I'm referring to the PS3 BEFORE the price went down, because I my Xbox is rather old so when I got mine it was probably cheaper than the PS3 which was higher in price.
now stop being a Sony fanboy and insulting me just because I said something you don't like

Also why isn't this considered a flame thread this is a complete jab at Xbox owners.
Sorry, didn't know you were talking about PS3 price cuts, and the 360 isn't 300?
I came off as a jackass with that "Basic math get," you caught me on a bad day, sorry.
Also, why am I a Sony fanboy? Because I misinterpreted your post? Because I own a PS3 over a 360? Because I think it's the better console because of it's games? I like both consoles, just like the PS3 more, which is why I got it.

WhatHityou

Nov 14, 2008
WEll to sum it up playing on both services, I'm gong to say.

A) Online severs tend to be more stable
B) The list of games I enjoy are mostly on the x-box
C) The security is much better
D) The subscription is rather cheep compared to other services
E) MUCH MUCH less firmware updates
F) Customer service doesn't go I have no idea what your talking about then hang up on you.
G) The use of the live features and the UI are mostly well designed and functional.
H) The multilayer service for the games require the membership.
I) Downloading and using add-ons and games are fast and easy.
J) Social tools that are NOT facebook aka chat and voice chat are easy to use and cross game.
K) More wachfull eye on misuse and hacking through fixing a lot of the issue quickly or in some cases pre-preemptively.

I think thats a good list.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Teiraa said:
Phoenixmgs said:
let's get this up to 100,000 views, I don't have that badge.
theres a badge for that? lol

you need about 160 pages to get that
Yeah, it's called forum inferno. I checked Kuliani's badges just before I made that last post because I remember seeing someone with a badge that was above the 10,000 view badge but I forgot if it was for posts or views.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
I got 2 years of Xbox Live Gold and 1600 MS points for like, 85 bucks. So that's...uh...lemme get my calculator out, math is hard: 12 cents a day. Not counting the 20 dollars in free crap they gave me.

I mean, can you buy anything with 12 cents a day?

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
jakefongloo said:
Your kind of an idiot... did you even read that list or did you just look at the end of it and go OH LOOK !!!!! THE PRICE
Best buy:
Xbox =$169.99
play station 3 =$299.99

these are the cheapest for both
I don't really give a shit about extra features
Want more?
Target:
Xbox =$199.99
Sony =$299.99

Walmart:
Xbox =$199.99
Ps3 =$289.00

If you got a site fine post it but rules: no used shit has to be new and extra features like memory or online or whatever doesn't mean shit to me because I don't play video games enough to care

Until you find that site

What's that noise? You being a know-it-all *****? No that's not it if it was you being a know-it-all ***** than it would also sound like my cock in your mouth.

Not to mention when the PS3 first came out it was somewhere between $400-$600 where the xbox was around $200 the price has dropped considerably can't imagine why (credit cards *cough*)
You're** Playstation 3**

Read more before you post, further on I do quote Amazon.com where the prices are exactly the same, also, referring to the Playstation 3 as 'Sony' is as stupid as referring to an Xbox 360 (Yes, that is it's title) as a Microsoft. Not surprised that the Xbox 360 was cheaper, after all, what was that console failure rate? 50%?

Go flame elsewhere.