Why do people pay for Xbox Live?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
This is not at all a Live sucks, PSN is better thread, I actually think both services are very similar in what they do and how well they do it. Everything I'm about to say is completely factual.

My problem with Live is that Microsoft wants to have their cake and eat it too as Microsoft charges you for services they don't provide. The FREE Silver Live account offers services that actually cost Microsoft money and resources to provide. Running and maintaining the servers that store the games, demos, DLC, etc. for everyone to download is at least 90% of the expenses of the Live service. And, all that stuff is offered for FREE through Silver membership because Microsoft wants everyone to have access to their store so people can spend money in their store.

For Live Gold membership, Microsoft charges you for Netflix, online gaming, Facebook, last.fm, etc. So, in order for you to have the ability to watch Netflix, you have to pay Netflix, your ISP, and MICROSOFT!!! Microsoft is not incurring any costs of any kind when you watch stuff off Netflix, Netflix is streaming movies from their servers using their bandwidth to you over your bandwidth that you are paying for, Microsoft is not involved in any way. To prove, rather simply, for people who might not believe that, PS3 users can still use Netflix with PSN down.

Onto online gaming, which is another big slap in the face to Live customers from Microsoft. If you play any third party game (e.g. COD), Microsoft is not incurring any costs or bandwidth when you play COD online as you are not playing on Microsoft's servers (you are not even playing on a server as almost every console online game is player hosted) and the publisher of the game is running the game servers that just track stats and nothing else. For a game like COD, the developer puts probably about half its resources into the multiplayer aspect of the game so about half the money you payed for the game is for the multiplayer. On Live, you have to pay Microsoft to unlock game content (online multiplayer) that you already payed for when you bought the game. The only thing that would make sense is if for Microsoft to allow online multiplayer for 3rd party games for Silver accounts, but only allow Gold accounts to pay first party games online. However, Microsoft isn't going to do that because people would be like, "I can play COD or Bad Company for free, screw Halo and Gears" and those communities would be a lot smaller. Also, Microsoft doesn't even run any dedicated servers whereas Sony does run dedicated severs for a few games (MAG, Killzone, Warhawk, etc.).

The only service Microsoft is providing you for Gold membership is cross-game chat so you are basically paying $60 a year for cross-game chat and that is it.

This is why I will never pay for Live as I'm not going to pay someone for a service they aren't providing, it's that simple. If Sony pulled this, I'd turn into a PC gamer and use Steam, which also provides the same services Live Gold does for free.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I just use Silver, It's free and I don't have to deal with the usual clientèle on Xbox LIVE.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Best of the 3 said:
Well, we pay to not have are information stolen >.>

<..>
That's not what Gold membership would have an effect on. Silver accounts buy stuff off the store with all their personal information and card info. So, Gold accounts get more security than Silver accounts?

Also, no PSN users really got affected by the theft. All you have to do is get a new card if you feel that info was compromised. Anyone can get your other info like name, address, etc. if they want to.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Well I shouldn't speak for others but for me it's all about having them delete my profile so that I can't use any of my game saves OR XBL and I get to start all over. YEEEEEESSSSS!!

Sarcasm self check complete! Oh damn I can't play that either! RAAAAWWWWR!! Hey, I think I'll make that my new profile name....

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Dryaxx said:
Look at PSN... Now look at XBL.

That is all.

/thread
I'm willing to bet that Live has actually had more downtime before this incident than PSN. It's not like Live can't be hacked and brought down.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Gotta say, this is a really weird time to be bringing this up. It's not exactly a high price, either.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Best of the 3 said:
Well, we pay to not have are information stolen >.>

<..>
That's not what Gold membership would have an effect on. Silver accounts buy stuff off the store with all there personal information and card info. So, Gold accounts get more security than Silver accounts?

Also, no PSN users really got affected by the theft. All you have to do is get a new card if you feel that info was compromised. Anyone can get your other info like name, address, etc. if they want to.
I know, it was more of a quick jab as PSN users.

To answer your question seriously, don't actually know, never really cared. But most of my friends played 360 so I followed them. Sure, a PS3's service would have been more practical but with no friends to play it with I'd get bored quick.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
A better connection than on the ps3 and cross game chat, as well as the deal of the week and certain demos.

Kaze103

Feb 11, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
The only service Microsoft is providing you for Gold membership is cross-game chat so you are basically paying $60 a year for cross-game chat and that is it.
No, we're paying for all the things you listed, what you mean is we're paying $60 for the upkeep of a single service. Slight difference.

I get what you're saying, we shouldn't have to pay for all that stuff, but we do have to, and that's really all there is to it.

Overall, I pay for it because I have to, and I'm not that bothered by it. I can afford thirty something quid a year.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
The only real perk, as far as I can tell, is cross game chat. I guess that's a big deal to some people though I personally could care less. Seems to be it's just being charged for because people will pay it. And that's really a good enough reason.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Best of the 3 said:
Well, we pay to not have our information stolen >.>

<..>
I love it when someone posts what I was thinking, in the very first post =)

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Yeah; I paid it because I had to in order to play my games online; and as I much preferred the 360's library to the PS3's, I didn't have much choice in the matter. Like a lot of Microsoft pseudo-monopolies, its something you have to pay for but they have just enough loopholes to prevent you from winning an antitrust suit against it.

iTz c00kiE

May 7, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
Dryaxx said:
Look at PSN... Now look at XBL.

That is all.

/thread
I'm willing to bet that Live has actually had more downtime before this incident than PSN. It's not like Live can't be hacked and brought down.
The only times i can ever remember live being down is during maintenance during major updates.