Why do people rage about stuff that has no effect on them?

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I'll agree that people frequently expend faaar more energy than is needed to hate on random pop-culture bullshit, but the truth is that some collective outrage over these things can be productive. The problem is that, while they might not affect an individual immediately, long term trends can negatively affect entire mediums to the point where even good properties and ideas might be made worst by elements from shittier properties that made a lot of money are incorporated to appeal to a "wider audience." Bad video games, movies, or tv shows that turn a huge profit can have ripple effect on other franchises and in the long run contribute to an overall decline in quality for said medium across the board. So, to degree, some of the vitrol is useful.

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
I'd think it's part o our nature as a social species. Let's put the larger issues to the side for a minute. Why do people rant to others about the shitty day they had? What about rumors, gossip, etc? Things that people really don't care about, but for some reason like to hear. Now this doesn't apply to everyone of course, but it's big enough to be considered normal.

We are supposed to care if people are dying overseas from things we have little to no control over and will likely never affect our lives. The misfortune of humans is something we are supposed to care about, like if a factory closes down and hundreds are laid off, even if it's in a different country. We are expected to drop our loose change in to the cups of beggars despite there being little chance that it will help us. These are band-aid solutions to problems that have already begun.

Yet when we get upset over things that we feel may have a negative effect in the future, we are told to drop it, it doesn't affect us. Should we wait until it does? Remain silent until the damage is done? We are expected to care about domestic abuse victims today, but we're not supposed to rag on something that we thing will lead to it? If we see our culture/society/industry going in a direction we do not like, should we remain silent until it has finished changing?

I'll agree that many things are overblown and moderation should be used, but there are a lot of people, all of them passionate about different things. However it's up to each individual how worked up they get over something, and merely because not everyone shares the same passion does not mean they should be quiet. Respectful, yes, but there's no clear place to draw the line that I see.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I think it's because, deep down we're afraid of the future.

Seeing the successes of Twilight, Jersey Shore and Justin Bieber[footnote]3 different mediums! Interesting.[/footnote], others are following their footsteps. If this goes on any longer, well, just be thankful that we'll still have, HOPEFULLY, old records of books, shows and music which didn't want us to rip our respective senses out. :D

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
To answer this question I present this quote
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Martin Niemöller
Just because it doesn't have an effect on you now doesn't mean it won't in the future, take action before it gets too far.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I think they do it cause they have nothing else better to do, or maybe it makes them feel empowered, I dunno. I don't listen to Beiber's but I have nothing against the kid, so I don't rage about it. I rage about Twilight because I watched the first one and hated it. I don't rage about the other movies because I haven't seen those. I'll rage about some reality TV shows because I had a roommate who use to watch it a lot. I gave it a chance and it did not work out. What made it worse was that my roommate claimed that she left it on to use it as background noise, but she would only leave it on certain shows at certain times. I know she was actively watching it.

Other than that, I tend not to rage about things, even if it's a subject I don't like. I try to take a calmer approach if I can. Otherwise, I'll just leave the subject alone, entirely.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Because people are schemers and manipulators and as an entire race we need to overcome the desire to bury our noses in other peoples shit unless they themselves are in a position to change our lives, to put it simply people are assholes but celebrities don't change the climate of our world usually so no need to pay too much attention. Sadly it just doesn't seem to be in our nature.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Sleekit said:
seriously dude i've seen Pastor Niemoller used under some dodgy circumstances but this one about takes the biscuit.

Pastor Niemoller used as justification for raging about justin bieber and twilight...

/facedesk
It's relevant... slightly...
I'm not using it to justify raging about JB and twilight specifically, but why people rage in general about things that "doesn't effect them" and why it's not always a bad thing.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Everything you've mentioned is, in some way, harmful to their respective industry.
COD is just an iterative series, which doesn't really improve anything from title to title.
Jersey Shore is some of the lowest quality television on air.
Twilight.... Do I need to say more?

Basically, people rage because they don't like or want what's happening to their favourite industries, and frankly, I don't blame them. Hell, I'm actually one of them.
Not to mention, empathy. Even if something doesn't affect your life on an immediate level, it affects others. Just because it doesn't affect you that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.
As an example, I don't own a PC that I game on beyond free or old games which I can emulate. Thus, DRM isn't a problem to me, but I'll be damned if I don't feel that what Ubisoft does in that regard isn't rage worthy and should be reprimanded for.

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
Jealousy. Simple as that. People see that Twilight, Beiber, Call of Duty, etc are making boatloads of money, but it's for reasons that they don't like. It's for reasons that they find pathetic. So they spend all their energy expressing their hate for it...it's only natural to hate what you envy, to watching something become so successful against your wishes.

People need to accept the fact that all those things are making more money that they are. It doesn't matter how they're making their money - cheap re-hashes, auto-tuned vocals, shoddy writing, whatever - it's WORKING and their producers are rich.

Do I like Beiber or his/her music? Nope. But if I DID have his face and the ability to sing/appeal to awestruck pre-teen girls, would I do it? HECK YES! I would do it for the money even though I hate the music/lyrics and fangirls that come along with it.
If I could write and publish stuff like Twilight would I do it? HECK YES! Even though the thought of such writing makes me vomit, I would do it because the teen fangirls are easy prey and it's going to make me rich.
Do I like Call of Duty's endless cycle? Nope. But if I WAS in charge of the franchise and noticed that the consumers were swallowing my re-hashes, would I do it? HECK YES! I would do it because it's easy money.

And if I did all the above things, would I also be a big fat target for the all the hate on the internet? I sure would be.

But when it's all said and done, I'm driving a Ferrari up the driveway of my $3 million mansion....while my haters are busy sitting behind their computers and raging at me.
If I was Justin Beiber I would simply laugh at all the hate, ignore it, and continue to do what I'm doing i.e. raking in the cash. No matter how much people hate/criticize me, I'm laying back beside my private pool (plus massage-girl) and living the life.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
hulksmashley said:
I hate on Twilight because it is terrible and horrible and is teaching young women bad lessons, like that it's totally normal for a boyfriend to forcibly stop you from seeing your friends, and break into your room to watch you sleep. Or that you can't become a full person (or rather, vampire) until you've gotten married and had a baby. I hate on it because I want to stop teen girls from reading it. I know it won't work but I still hold out hope.

I imagine other people feel similarly about the other things you've mentioned.

EDIT: Also I'd like to point out that since Twilight has made a money palace, Barnes and Noble has had to add a "Teen Paranormal Romance" section to the book store. That's right, a whole section devoted to Twilight knock offs.
Yeah, I hate Twilight for the same reasons.
I don't care how much money it makes, I care that it's sending a shitty message about what a relationship is supposed to look like.
And also because I'm a woman and everyone assumes I like it!

OT: People care about stuff that doesn't affect them because opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Phasmal said:
OT: People care about stuff that doesn't affect them because opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
And mostly they are full of shit.

Not that I don't have a good 'ol rage about unimportant stuff.

Coolshark

Jul 15, 2012
Well, these things have a notable impact.

Pop Music is very diverse, so Bieber really is not the issue people think he is. If anything he's a well known niche performer that's hated outside his demographic. But something like Twilight? The recent Transformers movies? They're actually indicative of lazy trends in their respective mediums.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I think it is more for the reaction of the other person than anything else.
We all know Justin Bieber is not a girl and we all know Justin Bieber does not resemble Elton John in his youth but once you've said these things - 9 times out of 10 somebody is going to blow. I suppose it is a form of trolling but its more childish and its funny because the people saying you are immature are the ones going crazy because you called Bieber a "poo-brain".

But then you get the crazy people who wish he was dead and go out of their way. I remember once I was linked to a Jonas Brothers fanfiction which graphically described how each of them were killed. I think that's a little extreme if the ugly Jonas Brother never kicked your dog or something.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Keoul said:
To answer this question I present this quote
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Martin Niemöller
Just because it doesn't have an effect on you now doesn't mean it won't in the future, take action before it gets too far.
Did you really just apply this poem to internet bandwagon whingers? The situation couldn't be more different.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
WaysideMaze said:
Did you really just apply this poem to internet bandwagon whingers? The situation couldn't be more different.
-sigh-
I'm not using it to apply specifically to "internet bandwagon whingers" I'm using it to explain why people "rage at stuff that has no effect on them" and how voicing your opinions are important.

rawrmonsta

May 25, 2010
Ive got a few friends like this, its pretty sad lol. I'm in a similar boat to you OP I'm not a fan of most of this fad stuff but I cant muster enough shits to give in order to actually hate them or complain about it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Because, OP, believe it or not people may care about things even related to themselves. Why don't you complain about people who don't rage about stuff that has no effect on them but instead are happy or, gods forbid, endorse it? How about this - why do you care about something that doesn't concern you? Seriously - you made a whole new thread and I don't see how random other people are connected to you.

Answer me this and you may even find an answer to your own question.