Why do people say that the British didn't do a thing in WW2?

May 28, 2009
Furburt said:
That myth about the French surrendering to save Paris from having its nice buildings destroyed is a total lie. In fact, the only reason the French surrendered was because Marshal Phillipe Petain, a know fascist sympathizer and later head of Vichy France, usurped the actual commander and the actual Prime Minister, Paul Reynaud, neither of which wanted to surrender, in what was basically a coup d'etat.

I thought the main sympathiser was Pierre Lavel rather than Petain. He got the harsher sentence after the war.

xXCagallixX said:
Fact Being Im British and its a fact that america didnt even join the war intill russia had to pull out since they where being invaded
I'm sorry? Russia didn't "pull out" because it was invaded - that's when it actually joined the war.

It's WWI where the Russians pulled out, and that was due to the October Revolution in 1917 in which the Bolsheviks seized power from the Provisional Government, which in turn had taken over from the Tsar.

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Cru31ty said:
Britain kinda spammed Germany early on with tier 1 inf while Russia turtled up because they got rushed. This gave America time to tech up to better troops, so when they eventually baserushed, they just steamrollered.
This post is full of win. Doesn't go into as much detail as I would like though.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
American Patriotism. they just see WW2 in the years 1943-5. Then again a small minority.
He's actually in Iceland, so you'll have to change that to Icelandic Patriotism, not to say the people in my country don't have their head stuck up their ass.

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
In the States we really only learn about what the U.S. did, and some of the major battles in Russia. We didn't even learn that there were other nations who stormed Normandy till High School. That probably has something to do with it.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Hollywood history tends to muddle things up a little. Blatantly untrue actions become truth based on the viewers ignorance of the actual happenings.

Hollywood makes movies for an American audience. They have Americans beating the redcoats, slapping the japs and raising the Stars'n'stripes over the reichstag. People with a shaky grasp of history take this fiction as truth and propagate it further down the line.

That said, there are also many other reasons, and the US is not the only guilty party in belittling their allies efforts.

(edit, yes yes, i know the US won the war of independence, and blasted the Japanese out of the war. That's not my point! What you see is still fiction and in many regards the truth is bent.)

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
the stonker said:
Simple question in fact I was in history today learning about WW2 and my teacher said that the british didn't do a thing and that the americans oh the bloody americans held up everything defending the land.
For when I read the book then it was mostly in Russia and the russians did most of the killing and the biggest sacrifices.
So guys I'm thinking what did the british do?

P.s.I'm a british patriot (16) who lives in Iceland so the education here for history isn't exactly great.
Your teacher needs to have their qaulifications reviewd. And severely. What exactly did iceland do, actually?

Britain carried the war in Western Europe, the Russians in the East.
Take my advice- get out of that buffoon's class and read up on it yourself.

You ever hear of the Battle of Britain?
The Battle of the Atlantic?
Britain was a major player in the war, and while not as well resourced as the US, Britain had been fighting since 1939, the US since 1943. The American contribution to the war was in the place of material and military support once they actually bothered to join in, but the US has this tiresome grossly exaggerated heroic image of itself in the war.
It was called a World war for a reason- it took place the world over. Also, the British were fighting the japanese empire in Indo-China before the US joined in.

Furthermore; the Australian and New Zealand armies made major contributions.

For the record, I am not British, I'm Irish. I am a history graduate, and doing my Masters in history, so forgive me if I get rather irritated by supposedly qaulified teachers getting it dead wrong.

Primate

PROBATION
Mar 2, 2010
i come from Denmark... and bloody hell..
we were pathetic, we gave up EVERYTHING! about 1 hour after the Germans passed our border.. I know we lived close to them.. but come on! they barely made it to the bloody capital! ( a bit away from the border. )

and even started helping making them more "war machines" to use on the rest of you lot..

shame on my own country!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I think you're thinking of the Canadians. It's a joke okay. Seriously, whoever told you that is a moron, and I'm an American. Russia was also very important. I believe many people feel though that Germany would have won if not for American intervention.

May 28, 2009
captainfluoxetine said:
Ithera said:
Hollywood history tends to muddle things up a little. Blatantly untrue actions become truth based on the viewers ignorance of the actual happenings.

Hollywood makes movies for an American audience. They have Americans beating the redcoats, slapping the japs and raising the Stars'n'stripes over the reichstag. People with a shaky grasp of history take this fiction as truth and propagate it further down the line.

That said, there are also many other reasons, and the US is not the only guilty party in belittling their allies efforts.
How many Americians were in the first wave? I Understood it was primarilly Brits and Canadians.
Not sure of numbers, but I know there were five landing zones.

America: Omaha (the famous one), Utah.

Britain and Canada: Gold, Juno, Sword (I forget which one the Canadians landed on; possibly Sword).

post="18.190333.5928442" said:
I imagene this will get up a few noses, but the only reason the allies won the war was that Hitler was a douche. He opened up the Russian front too soon. Had her persued the brits over the channel with the momentem he conquered the rest of europe he could have crushed british resistance then focused on the USSR. It was only his poor judgement to open up a second front which allowed a chance to resist.

Not downplaying the sacrifices of ANY of the naitons involved. But as mistakes go THAT was a biggie.
And yes, Hitler annoyed his generals by doing stuff like that. He hardly let the German army act on its own initiative, as in "Do this, I don't care how you do it, just do it." One occasion was during the Siege of Leningrad, when the Germans were desperate to subdue the city once and for all, and the commander was given leeway to approach it how he wanted - I believe they were going to use one of those absolutely giant railway-mounted mortar guns as part of it, but other conditions in the general Eastern Front meant that they were unable to do it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Each side had important contributions to victory. The Russians contributed the most manpower, as they had a huge population that Stalin was willing to sacrifice in defense of the motherland. the Americans contributed the most materiel and technological advancements, as their factories were never successfully bombed during the war. The British contributed the most intelligence, as cracking ENIGMA was a major factor in the war. The British Empire, due to its sheer size, contributed a huge amount of raw materials to the victory effort, while the British Navy was able to protect shipping fairly well.

This is not to downstate the contributions that, for example, the Americans or British made in combat, I'm just saying that the war was a coalition victory and that every Ally had strengths and weaknesses.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Feh, slating any faction in WW2 is a bit dense.

Yes, I grudgingly include the French in that, and the only reason I have bias against the French is because I'm English and it's in fashion!

Joking aside, if you ever want any good reading, look up what the British soldiers were up to in the PoW camps.
German Prison Officer said:
Those British are so much more trouble than any of the others - if you leave them in the dark they're in there tunnelling and plotting, and if you light them up they're tapping the electricity and using stolen tools to build their contraptions!
Frontlines aside. One word: Commandos.

Oh hell yes.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
the stonker said:
Simple question in fact I was in history today learning about WW2 and my teacher said that the british didn't do a thing and that the americans oh the bloody americans held up everything defending the land.
For when I read the book then it was mostly in Russia and the russians did most of the killing and the biggest sacrifices.
So guys I'm thinking what did the british do?

P.s.I'm a british patriot (16) who lives in Iceland so the education here for history isn't exactly great.
Wait, you live in Iceland? What the hell did they do in WW2? As far as I'm aware there were no Icelandic troops on either side, or if there were they comprised an extremely tiny proportion (about the same amount as, say, Micronesian troops. And from what I know that collection of islands doesn't even have an army...).

Anyway, the 'British did nothing' line is most commonly spouted by arrogant Americans (note that I refer to arrogant Americans, not all Americans. Many US people are in fact very supportive of UK troops and whatnot, as I found out when I went to Florida...).

The USA in fact did very little themselves on the Western Front. The main US offensive was concentrated on the Pacific front against the Japanese and their allies. In Europe, the war was won almost singlehandedly by a combination of British and Russian troops, and even as a Brit I have to admit that we wouldn't have stood a chance if the Germans had invaded Britain instead of Russia. Hitler made the exact same mistake that led to Napoleon's downfall, in that given a choice between attacking Russia and attacking the UK, he chose to attack the big, cold, deathtrap country instead of an island. Seriously, would it have been that hard to set up a beachhead somewhere like East Anglia or East Yorkshire, where we weren't as expectant of an attack? As for the US European offensive, they basically lent us a few troops who they could spare from the Pacific arena, who were in a few battles including the D-Day offensives, then claimed to have saved us Brits from Hitler. Basically, bullshit.

The USA did great against the Japanese (save for, you know, the atomic bombs, which were completely unjustified). In Europe though, the two main players were Russia and Britain. And Russia did the most work, they were mostly responsible for the Allied victory, with a lot of support from Britain. Britain did loads in WW2. So your Icelandic history teacher can STFU and GTFO...

Saverio

Feb 17, 2009
This is certainly a Euro-centric thread. World War II was more the just Europe, and that is something forgotten by everyone it seems. Lets not forget the losses of the Chinese to Japan both before and after they lost their war. America was fighting a two front war that the British couldn't keep up with. Not that they didn't help out quite a bit on the Pacific front, but they couldn't field a Navy in the Pacific to match Japan or America.

More to the point while America shouldn't get credit for all the fighting they do deserve the credit for supplying the British with the ability to fight.

Also, Patton. Patton is why.

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
LOL. Well that teacher can go and suck it. Um....That was not what I meant. Umm Canadia lol.....

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Funkysandwich said:
I know I'm sick and tired about every film or tv show about the war in the Pacific focusing on how great America is.

Sure, they did contribute towards the war, but it's not like they single-handedly won it.

Ever heard of the kokoda trail? No Americans there...
No experienced soldiers either, just a few hundred Australian milita that no one had any faith in.

Mind you Australia's greatest WW2 hero was a doctor who kept men alive in a Japanese POW camp. It's not all pew pew kill kill you know.

May 28, 2009
Saverio said:
More to the point while America shouldn't get credit for all the fighting they do deserve the credit for supplying the British with the ability to fight.

Also, Patton. Patton is why.
Patton was reckless, and was put on the backfoot by US Command leading up to Operation Overlord, because of all the men he managed to lose in Sicily. Of course, that was because he was racing Field Marshal Montgomery (they were both rivals). I believe his role was to oversee the cover-up operation so the Germans were unaware of Normandy being the target, before he got back into the field.

Trivun said:
Seriously, would it have been that hard to set up a beachhead somewhere like East Anglia or East Yorkshire, where we weren't as expectant of an attack? As for the US European offensive,
If I was the Germans I would never have the guts to land in Yorkshire - the citizenry itself would be a greater foe than any defensive military troops. As a fellow resident in the general Leeds area I'm sure you'd understand where I'm getting at.

Chamale" post="18.190333.5928578 said:
The British Empire, due to its sheer size, contributed a huge amount of raw materials to the victory effort, while the British Navy was able to protect shipping fairly well./quote]

Yup, we supplied diamonds (woo, sparkly diamonds - I assume this was for industrial reasons) to Russia at one point - we shouldered the bulk of the lend-lease act for Russia until America's war economy kicked into gear - then the roles reversed.