Why do people scream "Feminist Agenda" when there is a female lead?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Well its true. Darth Vader's pullout game is weak.

You know what internet, what's the matter? Should we go outside, and play some catch? Talking about the emotions we are feeling inside because its not good to keep them inside, Lil' Jimmy? This "Feminist Agenda" anger you are going through isn't something that normal internet users go through. You seem hurt. Are you afraid of something? It's okay if you are. Your mom and I have been talking and we just think it's best you go to your aunts for the weekend upstate. It's away from the city, away from WiFi and the internet and you can feel some sort of freedom away from the anger. What do you say Lil' Guy?

All seriousness though, what is up with people? Allow me to pick your brains. Dont worry, I may be a zombie but I have gluten free brains.

I get it. Some people really dislike feminism. As soon as that word comes up, out comes the anger, the hate, the colourful words, the paranoia, the "dey tok r jeeeeeeerbs" attitude. A female is the focus of an IP. So what? Whys that a problem? If its the poor writing where writers assume all women suffer the same thing, I understand. It's shitty poor writing. However, if its cause they are getting more screen time and story is developed more then... then calm the fuck down.

From Mad Max Fury Road to Jessica Jones and now Star Wars, I just see comments about "Feminist Agenda" and how they are trying to... control our minds with their powerful vaginas? Damn vaginas. Beautiful but deadly.

I dunno. I just wanted to ask.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Because the other side do exactly the same thing and demonstrated there is an audience for idealogical outrage.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
wizzy555 said:
Because the other side do exactly the same thing and demonstrated there is an audience for idealogical outrage.
What do you mean? I am generally asking here. What do you mean, cause I have no clue.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Because a lot of people assume that anything that's different from what they're comfortable with is the result of outside meddling, because of course in a just world everything would cater to them alone.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Parasondox said:
wizzy555 said:
What do you mean? I am generally asking here. What do you mean, cause I have no clue.
You know the patriarchy thing? "Every game protagonist is a Brown haired white male who oppresses women", "the game developers are pushing hetero-patriarchal norms down your throat". "The X is in the news now therefore X is sexist/shows it to the patriarchy".

You know the business model of buzzfeed and kotaku for the past 3 years.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Parasondox said:
There are like, a billion male leads. And eventually some people asked "Another male lead? Why not a female lead?".

This disgusting display of ideological fanaticism brought us to where we are today.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
wizzy555 said:
Parasondox said:
wizzy555 said:
You know the patriarchy thing? "Every game protagonist is a Brown haired white male who oppresses women", "the game developers are pushing hetero-patriarchal norms down your throat". "The X is in the news now therefore X is sexist/shows it to the patriarchy".

BloatedGuppy said:
Parasondox said:
There are like, a billion male leads. And eventually some people asked "Another male lead? Why not a female lead?".

This disgusting display of ideological fanaticism brought us to where we are today.
Ahh, I get ya. I think.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Some people's inner children are still running around being the little terror of the playground. Some people are stubborn and resistant to change, particularly when they're misled to believe by articles they read or rants they listen to that the change is coming in the form of an attack on their very way of life. Some people are just plain lazy, which is why they generalize a whole movement, ideology or school of thought, or claim that their behaviour is justified by the idea that their enemy would behave in the exact same way at any opportunity. Some people just don't want to lose the comfy position they've got or have to share space in an audience with someone else with very different tastes.

I've never seen any merit to these complaints. It's always sounded like whining or scaremongering and in some cases you can just feel the playground sexism and insecurity bubbling up from below the paper-thin surface. I treat the idea of a "feminist agenda" that's trotted out at every opportunity with the same amount of seriousness that I treat the idea of the gay agenda or the black agenda.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Pluvia said:
wizzy555 said:

So you're saying that the people that hate that kind of thing or think that's stupid do the exact same thing when they have the chance?

Man, there's literally no logic in that. I guess it's like "Two wrongs make a right" or something.

@OP: Some people just love to be offended, and some people are actually deluded enough to believe that there is some sort of feminist agenda to, uh, kill men..? The specifics of what the agenda is trying to achieve is quite vague come to think of it.
No I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. I'm saying one side did something (whether right or not) demonstrated a business model which other people copied (whether right or not).

You can save your thought terminating cliches I'm not saying anything to actually threaten you.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Parasondox said:
Well its true. Darth Vader's pullout game is weak.

You know what internet, what's the matter? Should we go outside, and play some catch? Talking about the emotions we are feeling inside because its not good to keep them inside, Lil' Jimmy? This "Feminist Agenda" anger you are going through isn't something that normal internet users go through. You seem hurt. Are you afraid of something? It's okay if you are. Your mom and I have been talking and we just think it's best you go to your aunts for the weekend upstate. It's away from the city, away from WiFi and the internet and you can feel some sort of freedom away from the anger. What do you say Lil' Guy?

All seriousness though, what is up with people? Allow me to pick your brains. Dont worry, I may be a zombie but I have gluten free brains.

I get it. Some people really dislike feminism. As soon as that word comes up, out comes the anger, the hate, the colourful words, the paranoia, the "dey tok r jeeeeeeerbs" attitude. A female is the focus of an IP. So what? Whys that a problem? If its the poor writing where writers assume all women suffer the same thing, I understand. It's shitty poor writing. However, if its cause they are getting more screen time and story is developed more then... then calm the fuck down.

From Mad Max Fury Road to Jessica Jones and now Star Wars, I just see comments about "Feminist Agenda" and how they are trying to... control our minds with their powerful vaginas? Damn vaginas. Beautiful but deadly.

I dunno. I just wanted to ask.
Where are you going that you find this stuff? I follow both antifeminists and feminists and even MRA's fairly closely and I haven't seen any of this. Scratch that I did see the bit about Mad Max but that was literally just feminists making shit up to try and make the MRM look bad. What happened was one PUA made a blog post about it then a feminist site took it and made a article about how this MRA is boycotting the film (even though he was a PUA not a MRA). Then sure enough other feminist media sources got on it and by the end of the day it was all MRA's were boycotting Mad Max because they hate women having any power despite the fact that it was a singular PUA. Literally the whole MRA community was like da fuck? Many of the major people in them movement went to see it and loved it even.

This sorta stuff happens all the time for some reason feminists seem to think anybody they don't like is a MRA.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
wizzy555 said:

Buzzfeed and Kotaku are just obvious blaring alarms of the idea that women, people of color, and other minorities have been glossed over if not outright get intentional poor representation. The complaints have been widespread for... Well basically as long as film has existed.

OT: Because there are a lot of entitled men out there who see women as nothing but gratification for sex and maybe a thing that pushes plot along. So a lot of misogynists like to complain about a "feminist agenda" when a woman is the primary protagonist, because they only see women as sex objects and not humans. That's generally where the "feminist agenda" complaint comes from, it's not helped by a society where all public spaces are considered "men's spaces" that women occasionally pass through.

Edit: Removed comic because it might be a bit too risqu? for this site.

Even people who want better than that sort of portrayal, like myself, sometimes screw up and inadvertently support that sort of thing. Still the ones who blare "feminist agenda" when there's a female lead in, say, an action movie, either have trouble seeing women as people, or are afraid of societal change. Like seeing more women and people of color represented as capable protagonists in movies.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Because male is the default in pretty much every form of media.

So when something goes against that default, they assume that there must be a specific reason for it. And with Feminism/equality being big discussions on the internet now, they assume that must be the reason.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Because they keep shoehorning women into everything. Have you noticed that? There was a woman in Star Wars. I turned on the tv last night, and do you know what I saw? A woman. She wasn't even naked. I mean, was there even a reason they had a woman in that show, or did they just put women in it to be politically correct? The PC culture in this nation has gotten out of hand.

Creators should have the freedom to tell any kind of story they want. Unless they break from the norm by having women and minorities. In that case they aren't allowing the story to progress naturally, they're just pandering to the PC crowd.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Because male leads are the default in male-targeted or general audience products

Female leads are required to justify their abhorrent presence.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zhukov said:
Because male leads are the default in male-targeted or general audience products

Female leads are required to justify their abhorrent presence.
Actually it's a result of the Toyota model being applied to entertainment.

This is a result of the fact that for whatever reason, men AND women tend to identify more with men filling specific roles and archetypes within a story, and are more willing to accept men filling said specific roles or archetypes. And given how when a male character is treated terrible no one cares, and with the fact male characters have a much wider range and variety of actions and consequences they can have without people screaming like banshees about it (of ALL political leanings) there's just more freedom there for writers there.

So with that being the reality of how we, the people (not just ivory tower elites who make up a tiny fraction of the population) want, enjoy and consume our media, the only wonder there is about it is how anyone can be surprised.

OT: OP, the reason is because everything is political in that regards, and the reason for that is because modern Western Feminism has taken the radical stance, disconnected from reality, that everything is sexist, everything is problematic, and it's the job of feminists to point it all out. When you're dealing with a group willing to make anything and everything political, and are willing to lie about it to get things done (the Mad Max nontraversy being a good example of this) it's inevitable that a reactionary stance will be taken by some in response. Radicalism begets radicalism, which is why Western Feminism is the most powerful force working against equality in the First World, but that's a discussion for another thread down in the basement.