Why do people walk on the left side of the aisle

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
To clarify, I mean their left and your right if you're walking towards them.

Okay, so I was grocery shopping yesterday and it was just mayhem. People were constantly walking down the left side of the aisle, despite not actually looking for any groceries on said side or having any kind of blockage on the other. The day before that I was at a forest preserve and a few groups of people were walking down the left side of the trails in single file. This is despite groups before and after them doing just fine on the right side, and me finding no discernible reason upon observation of the area.

Why and how does this happen? Is this a fairly uncommon occurrence? Is this one of those unspoken rules that should really be spoken far more often?

Side question, in countries like India and England, is it common practice to walk on the left? I've never really paid attention.

edit: this isn't referring to areas where there are major roads or no sidewalks or really rural areas where foot traffic is extremely light. Also, occasionally you'll have stores that have the "in" door on the left, which is weird but sometimes justified (such as the positions of the checkout lanes). I could see that throwing a few people off.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
Save for stairs and escalators there isn't really a rule where I live. If there are a lot of people they will form two serperate " flows of people" but it could be either left or right.

If there is no specified place for pedestrians there is a rule to walk on the left side of the road though, but that's just common sense.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, in Australia, there's no rule as such, but people tend to walk more on the left, presumably since people drive on the left here.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Yeah, in Australia, there's no rule as such, but people tend to walk more on the left, presumably since people drive on the left here.
Seconding this.

I too assume it's just a habit from driving on the left.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
What country do you live in? Generally, I see people here in the US walk down the right side. Always exceptions, but either they are in the middle, or the right. And if in the middle and another comes, they go to the right.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010

Seriously, though? Because stuff happens. Maybe there was an obstruction in a previous isle and they were knocked off balance. Maybe they're looking at both sides of the isle and you didn't notice. Maybe there is a campaign to befuddle and confuse you, just you, because you know what you did.

Shit, I dunno.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Saelune said:
What country do you live in? Generally, I see people here in the US walk down the right side. Always exceptions, but either they are in the middle, or the right. And if in the middle and another comes, they go to the right.
I live in the US, I just brought up some countries that drive on the left because I was wondering if there was a correlation there.

Also, the scenario which you've outlined is the EXACT reason why I assume a lot of people don't default to the right. As Accursed Theory illustrates above me, there are potential reasons that might explain various scenarios that aren't immediately obvious. That said, we've ALL done the awkward dance of indecision when someone who we've come up to decides to veer to our right instead of theirs (assuming there's space on both sides). By the end of it you both you just kind of chuckle awkwardly to one another after a moment or two of bobbing your heads synchronously back forth like complete idiots.

Also, this may all seem very trivial until you consider corner turning. A guy hastily turning the corner on the left can take the situation from doing the jive with a stranger to the ER with a concussion!

And don't even get me started on how gender politics plays into all of this!!

Seriously, wake up sheeple!!! This is an important issue on the internet!!1!1

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but indulge the natural escalation there.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Out in the rural area where I live it is customary to walk on the left side of the road so that you and meeting cars (right side) can see and avoid each other safely.
However, while walking in larger cities (mainly Stockholm) people tend to walk on the right side on the sidewalks or in malls.
The subways and train stations have no rules and tend to form several streams instead.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have not seen any sort of practice like this in Pittsburgh. That's really all I can say there.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Most people tend to walk to the left because of safety reasons. Really. When you live in a country with cars that drive on the right hand side, and there's no sidewalk, pedestrians move to the left so the oncoming traffic can see them and they can see the cars. If they walk on the right, they can't see the cars coming from behind.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Most people tend to walk to the left because of safety reasons. Really. When you live in a country with cars that drive on the right hand side, and there's no sidewalk, pedestrians move to the left so the oncoming traffic can see them and they can see the cars. If they walk on the right, they can't see the cars coming from behind.
Okay, yes, let me get that out of the way since two people have mentioned it. I'm speaking strictly for areas where there is only foot traffic or allowances have been made for a good amount foot traffic. If one is walking by a road or something then I'd assume they'd observe the "against traffic" rule. I'll add it to the OP, danka.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Because Americans are objectively wrong about driving on the right! It is in our deepest nature default to the left...you cannot deny your true nature, suppressing it is unhealthy. This is your subconscious telling you what the true way is. Give innn...how long do you honestly think you can fight nature? Do not be afraid, sweet child. It will be a painless transition. Come hither, Join us on the left...we have cookies and ice-cream...

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Here in the U.S., people generally walk on the right. The only exception is when walking along a road without a sidewalk. In that case, you're supposed to walk on the left for safety reasons. Of course, not everyone follows either of these.

Anyways, I think we gravitate towards the right because of driving.

The Ditz

Lord of the Never There
Dec 18, 2012
Saelune said:
That's the problem with America, no one wants to go left. I swear the middle people are drifting towards the right and it amazes me how the people on the right can go that far right without knocking over the shelves. I blame Reagan.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The Ditz said:
Saelune said:
That's the problem with America, no one wants to go left. I swear the middle people are drifting towards the right and it amazes me how the people on the right can go that far right without knocking over the shelves. I blame Reagan.
I know you're making a joke, but its hard to resist the urge to go on a rant criticizing Reagan for all his evil...

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Because Americans are objectively wrong about driving on the right! It is in our deepest nature default to the left...you cannot deny your true nature, suppressing it is unhealthy. This is your subconscious telling you what the true way is. Give innn...how long do you honestly think you can fight nature? Do not be afraid, sweet child. It will be a painless transition. Come hither, Join us on the left...we have cookies and ice-cream...
This.

I don't drive so that has no bearing on me in the slightest, but I think that most people gravitate left naturally. When I used to work at the local hospital I got the bus into work and over the years one thing I noticed was that the left side of the bus got full rather quickly, but the right stayed empty for most of the journey. I also had to push a trolley up and down the corridor and I always walked on the left side of the corridor, unless something bigger than me was coming down on that side. (NOTE: I'm English)

I was once told that the only reason America drives on the right hand side is because that puts the passenger's right, dominant, arm towards the pavement for ease of discharging your firearm whilst the driver drives. Seems legit to me.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Out in the rural area where I live it is customary to walk on the left side of the road so that you and meeting cars (right side) can see and avoid each other safely.
However, while walking in larger cities (mainly Stockholm) people tend to walk on the right side on the sidewalks or in malls.
The subways and train stations have no rules and tend to form several streams instead.
This except for the last part about subways and trains also applies to Quebec. Walking on rural roads (and living in the country I do this quite often) we walk on the left to see cars coming. Everything else we walk on the right because... well just because.

Hallways, walkways, you name it and we walk on the right. Actually got brought up in a psychology course I took a few years back as a "thing we know happens but not why".

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Bobular said:
I don't drive so that has no bearing on me in the slightest, but I think that most people gravitate left naturally.
I'm British and I don't drive like Bobular. I think the lane in which people drive might have something to do with it for other people, but for me: its because every school I went to we were taught to walk on the left side of the corridors, so that stuck with me.