Why do people want to be immortal?

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Well, I'd want to be immortal just because, I don't want to die, and I could protect humanity. What could go wrong? I don't care about the pain plus I would have time to get every golden weapon in MW3!

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
Immortality? No way.

However, I wouldn't mind the ability to live without sickness or aging. So then I could live a few thousand years if physics or a murderer doesn't kill me. And if the world blows up, I would die with it.

Arrzarr

May 31, 2011
I reply to your simple question with another simple question. Why would you want to stick around for longer than is polite?

Feb 28, 2008
DarkRyter said:
People don't want immortality.

They want to die at their own discretion.
No. I just don't want to die... Dying at my discretion would be a far second best, but I'd much rather never have to pick a funeral song or write a will, and instead drink cocktails on a beach somewhere hot and sunny for about 50 years...

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
lionrwal said:
Simple enough question. Every few days it seems a thread involving immortality comes up and I have to ask, why do some people want to be immortal?
I used to wish to be immortal until I realized that would mean I would have to see the death of everyone I grew close to. I would be cursed to live to see the entirety of the human race go extinct, to see civilization crumble, to experience the pain of the Earth being engulfed by the Sun, then be left floating out in space when the Sun consumes our solar system for all of eternity, helpless.

Anyway, that's my view on immortality. What say you?
Humans fear death, especially young ones, and most people on this site are young and have been exposed to lots of Sci-Fi.

You can see how the demographics here would like immortality.

Introspector

Aug 20, 2011
I suppose the desire for immortality comes from the human need to do things he/she can't.
We couldnt fly, now we can. We couldnt travel to the moon, now we can.
Death is the big deifnate that everyone will definately experience, so to be able to overcome that would be the ultimate achievement in terms of human ambition, and it would really inflate your ego (being the only person on earth to not die).
Add to that the idea of being invulnerable, considering alot of gamers tend to fall into the "Vulnerable loner" category, myself included, not being able to suffer any injuries would be quite fulfilling.
Add to that the intellectual; i would have enough time to read all these books, see all these things. you'd have enough time to complete a 100 things to do before you die list without sacrificing the time for other things.
You'd have enough time to fulfil all of your human, intellectual and spiritual desires. And you'd see then end of the universe, after which would either be hell or the chance to experience the start of a new one.
that'd solve the whole God problem for you.

chrono16

BOOM! Headshot.
May 9, 2010
lionrwal said:
Simple enough question. Every few days it seems a thread involving immortality comes up and I have to ask, why do some people want to be immortal?
I used to wish to be immortal until I realized that would mean I would have to see the death of everyone I grew close to. I would be cursed to live to see the entirety of the human race go extinct, to see civilization crumble, to experience the pain of the Earth being engulfed by the Sun, then be left floating out in space when the Sun consumes our solar system for all of eternity, helpless.

What if it turns out that The universe is like what it is on Futurama and if we wait long enough then it will loop back and start all over again. I think it would be amazing to be able to influence the course of human existence over and over again.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Immortality would be cool with something like an 'off' switch. So if I got to like age 700 and said 'Man, this eternal life stuffs boring! let's try eternal death now!' I could flick a switch and it would all be over.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
When you get older, your perception of time gets quicker. It's why school seems like forever for a kid but a day for an adult. You would see civilizations rise and fall right before your eyes, very quickly.

You would have the most rich and powerful people wanting to hunt you down and take you to a secret lab to dissect you and find how you are immortal. You would literally have armies after you.

The reason the elderly get senile is because they have so many memories in their brain and no way to get rid of them. They have so many by the time they are old that they can not function anymore. You will be that times a million. Your head would explode.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
Well, death is scary. It would be great to see what happens in the future, how far humans are gonna go, and how long humans would last. Wouldn't it be awesome to have watched the greatest movie, played the greatest game, or read the greatest book in human history, and know FOR SURE that it was the greatest of all time?

Chances are, you haven't experienced the greatest things that will ever be made.

Sure, if you add all those details of the shittiness of immortality, then yeah, immortality sounds shitty.

When you FIRST thought of immortality, did you think of how shitty immortality would be? No, you thought immortality would rock. That's why people want to be immortal, because they haven't thought of all those crazy bad things.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I think I could put up with going insane at the end of the universe in exchange for a few million years of having an eternally youthful body, and getting to play with super awesome things like holodecks in the future.

I mean, at the end of it all when your alone in the universe, going mad might not be so bad. You could construct your own fantasy scenario where there are still people around and you live with them. Or you could simple stop being aware of anything, thats a sort of death.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
lionrwal said:

One would hope that, given an eternity to live, one would have the foresight to prepare for the end of the Solar system's life cycle. You know, build a space ship or something. I figure space travel will be in our reach by then.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
lionrwal said:
First of all, mankind will go extinct. Probably not before we discover viable space travel, but we will go extinct nonetheless.
Why is that? We've survived past the dawn of nuclear energy, which is a feat in itself. Why do you think that mankind will assuredly go extinct in the future?

lionrwal said:
Second, when did I imply that humans are the only species in the universe? I believe the exact opposite. Humans are a small speck in the scope of the universe.
Then why does your endgame for immortality involve sitting on Earth, alone, until being left without a planet and drifting in space forever? Even with the label attached to it, 'forever' is an awfully long time to never encounter any of the other species you seem to think exist, and that's assuming you somehow didn't encounter them prior.

lionrwal said:
And third, I want you to tell me one way humans could become immortal.
Erm...what? My question was more about what fictional source you're using to induce the immortality in the first place. Like, was it some sort of magic, a Faustian deal, or what? Because if it's something else that other people could conceivably use, that could potentially do away with the 'alone forever' thing.

Deimateos

Apr 25, 2009
lionrwal said:
Because dead people can't tell the living what death is like and whether it is cool or it sucks. Since people are generally scared of the unknown, being immortal sounds better than death, as they know they like living enough to do more of it.

Were I immortal, the first few scores would be awesome, doing everything ever. After those years, it would get really boring. At that point, I'd likely push the world toward interstellar travel, find other immortals and set up an immortals dating service (Maybe name it Aeon-Harmony, who knows).

LadyDeadly

Mar 5, 2011
I see the world like a big book. Things are always happening and someone discovered this or invents that, i wish i was immortal just so i could read and see everything that's happening and everything that will happen.

i mean, only reading a book for 100+ chapters isnt even skimming the surface~ :3

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Probably because I fear death and I am skeptical about any kind of afterlife (I want to believe though).

Also, being immortal would be pretty sweet - I would not try to hide my powers like Clark Kent. I would walk right into speeding traffic in Times Square where there are tens of thousands of people with cameras and phones. After videos of me go viral, I would become a demigod. I would start out fighting terrorism and extremism around the world, but slowly I would become more and more warped by my power. It would end with me taking on the police in a climactic battle while trying to abscond with bags of money and attractive women, and then finally getting captured and sealed in an underground government bunker.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
I fear death. It is my greatest fear. So, immortality seems like a good way to not fear death anymore.