Why do so few Americans vote?

Jun 16, 2010
The wikipedia article on voter turnout [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout#International_differences] is interesting, perhaps most of all because of the huge discrepancy between the USA and most other developed countries.

Apparently less than 50% of Americans vote, compared to other Western countries such as Belgium, Sweden, Germany and New Zealand which all have over 85%. Why do you think this is?
The article comes up with a lot of ideas, but doesn't really draw any conclusions.

Do you vote? Why/why not? (I was going to make this question a poll, but y'know)

I find it to be a rather enjoyable experience. Makes me feel all grown up to go down to the local polling station and decide on the future of my nation.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A big part of it is that voting in America takes place in the middle of the week, and Americans aren't given time off to go vote. This means that for anyone with a job, if they want to go vote they have to either do it in the morning before work, or in the evening after work, and since that's when everyone else with a job is also voting, it means you have to go and spend between half and hour and an hour in line, after having already worked a full day's work, when you just want to go home, relax, and have a beer.

Another big part of it is that the major parties in the US, the Democrats and the Republicans, don't really represent voter issues all that well. If you have an ideology that clashes with both parties, then you really don't care who gets voted in since you hate both candidates either way, and if you vote for a third party you're basically throwing your vote away in most cases. And that's just talking about voting in national elections. Local elections are even worse, since almost no one cares to follow the candidates so barely anyone knows who is running for what positions, and what the pros or cons of different candidates may be.

But yeah, I vote. Why? Because even if my vote won't change anything, at least I'll have the right to ***** about how this country is going to shit.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I voted when I turned 18. I'd never felt a greater sense of pointlessness than when I pushed that button. Not because I think voting is pointless, because it absolutely is not, but because I didn't really care who I voted for and the decision meant nothing to me. I feel I shouldn't vote unless I care enough about what I'm voting for, but as far as I'm concerned, who the president is doesn't affect me all that much. So I don't vote.

"If you choose not to decide YOU STILL HAVE MADE A CHOICE!" - Rush

Don't diss Rush, man. That ain't cool.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
"I think the first thing that we have to do is recognize that we don't have a two party system. I sort of kid about this by saying that we have a one party system, and someday I'm hoping for a second party! Because my experience in Washington has showed me that the 2 parties are much more closely aligned than the people realize. Both of them support our foreign policy of wars overseas (which is wrong), both parties support the Federal Reserve System and the banking cartel, both parties have endlessly supported deficit financing, and both parties unfortunately have supported the attacks on our personal civil liberties. Now the problem is, if we don't have a process whereby you disagree with the two parties, you don't have anyplace to go because it is very difficult to get on the ballot, it's difficult to get in the debates unless you participate in the "so-called" two-party system we have today, and ultimately the changes come about not by tinkering with either political party - it only comes through education and getting people to understand the wisdom of non-intervention in foreign policy, non-intervention in personal liberties, and non-intervention in the economy." -Ron Paul

Before you pull out your so brave and #shotsfired, that's just using Ron paul so I don't have to fully write out my two cents on the matter. I like to think that it's not entirely because Americans think their vote is insignificant compared to the other registered voters, but more like they think that it doesn't matter who gets in power.

Also, fifty percent of Americans is still a pretty big number.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
But yeah, I vote. Why? Because even if my vote won't change anything, at least I'll have the right to ***** about how this country is going to shit.
I find myself agreeing with you far too often...this is exactly why I always make sure to vote. Don't know if they have 'early voting' in your area, but we do here in Colorado & it makes voting really easy...just go to the county courthouse any time for about 2 weeks before the election, fill out a short form, you are given a paper ballot & viola....

Jun 16, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Another big part of it is that the major parties in the US, the Democrats and the Republicans, don't really represent voter issues all that well. If you have an ideology that clashes with both parties, then you really don't care who gets voted in since you hate both candidates either way, and if you vote for a third party you're basically throwing your vote away in most cases. And that's just talking about voting in national elections. Local elections are even worse, since almost no one cares to follow the candidates so barely anyone knows who is running for what positions, and what the pros or cons of different candidates may be.
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I like to think that it's not entirely because Americans think their vote is insignificant compared to the other registered voters, but more like they think that it doesn't matter who gets in power.
So you think there'd be a lot more voter participation if there was a full spectrum of viable political parties?

I never really understood this line of reasoning, because there are lots of political parties in America. But there's only two "leading brands" so to speak. The two-party system isn't enforced on any regulatory basis, it's just that if you aren't Coke and you aren't Pepsi, then nobody cares. And if nobody cares, then you won't be able to scrape up enough of a marketing budget to make people care, so it's a vicious cycle.

However, I've been wondering if the potency of Internet-based viral marketing could give rise to a virtually 'free' political campaign with enough momentum to challenge the two major parties. And if not that, what would it take to get voters to consider a third party?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
James Joseph Emerald said:
And if not that, what would it take to get voters to consider a third party?
Preferential voting? So that if your third minor party doesn't get enough votes, your vote goes to your choice of the two major parties.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I like to think that it's not entirely because Americans think their vote is insignificant compared to the other registered voters, but more like they think that it doesn't matter who gets in power.
So you think there'd be a lot more voter participation if there was a full spectrum of viable political parties?

I never really understood this line of reasoning, because there are lots of political parties in America. But there's only two "leading brands" so to speak. The two-party system isn't enforced on any regulatory basis, it's just that if you aren't Coke and you aren't Pepsi, then nobody cares. And if nobody cares, then you won't be able to scrape up enough of a marketing budget to make people care, so it's a vicious cycle.

However, I've been wondering if the potency of Internet-based viral marketing could give rise to a virtually 'free' political campaign with enough momentum to challenge the two major parties. And if not that, what would it take to get voters to consider a third party?
This is more a conversation for Religion and Politics, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I don't think Americans can process the idea of anything but a Democrat vs. Republican election. There hasn't been a leading political party that hasn't been the elephant or donkey since the freaking nineteenth century.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Voting day, for me, was on a day I had 2 midterm exams: general chemistry and calculus II. I couldn't afford the time to leave to go vote.

But the real reason? American's aren't always as passionate when it comes to actually voting as when it involves simple discussion/ranting. At the end of the day, Congressional gridlock and decades of presidents whose terms ranged in quality from "meh" to "Watergate" just don't really get anyone out of the house to vote.

BigScaryBunny

Jul 25, 2013
Is not only Americans that have a low voting turn out, but many countries that doesn't force their citizen to vote also has a low voting turn out. If i were to predict one of the reason. Is that majority of people doesn't care about politics, and they don't bother spending their time to their local voting booth.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It's a hassle, a waste of time, politicians work to make it harded for you to vote if they think you'll vote against them and the parties who run are 99% identical to the point where picking one over the other is like picking a rose or poison ivy whip to be lashed by. It feels like it doesn't matter so why waste a whole day when you could be just be playing a game or something.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Usually because I hate both candidates and when the country goes to shit I can at least shout "NOT IT!" and blame the people who voted for that person. Though doing nothing is just as bad in the eyes of others.

I would vote if there was a good candidate, but seeing how I dislike both parties I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I know that if it wasn't for the Mail in ballot i wouldn't be arsed to vote myself since it is a game of hello new boss good bye old boss every 4 to 8 years. The big issue really isn't the parties for me its the special interest groups holding their leashes and pretty much making any change in politics largely cosmetic in many ways.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Voting is kind of pointless in America. Both Republicans and Democrats ignore the lower class and listen only to the upper class. Democrats occasionally pretend to listen to the middle class but that's about the only difference. Our choice during the last election was a rich white man who gives corporations and banks whatever they ask for, or a rich black man who gives corporations and banks whatever they ask for. Merka

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
*cough*

I think that if you are going to live in a democratic nation and you choose not to vote, you should have any form of welfare/benefits of said nation removed. Not that you would have to stop paying taxes...

You have a duty to your nation. Voting is part of that duty. Sure, go in, spoil your ballot. I know that is what my grandfather did from about 1970 to 93, spoiling your ballot is a statement.

Not voting, however, means you should no longer count. At all.

OT: Because people are apathetic and do not care. Boredom has been weaponised as the greatest speedbump to change. Following politics, voting, all of that is really dull, for some people.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I think it's because a TON of Americans are single issue voters, and with our ass backwards two party system, the likelihood of either candidate doing what we want is slim. So what's the point?

And even if we look at all issues, you can only vote for the lesser of two evils before you just stop giving a shit.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
One of Swedens 14% reporting in.
I've never voted, and I don't think anyone else in my family does. I want to, but there's not a single party I like.

Got a feeling 2014 will be our worst year since the current party of monkeys took power. Our immigrant hostile hillbilly party support seems greater than ever after the riots we had recently in immigrant populated areas.
Preparing to move to Iceland.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Of course we vote, it's just that we use up all our voting energy we should be storing for politics and using it on american Idol or something like that.

seriously, voting should be done by mail.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
The primary reason Americans don't vote very often is because it's meaningless. It's the next best thing to impossible for anyone not a Democrat or Republican to be elected to a position in the federal government, and it's literally impossible for one to become President.

And despite what the various news outlets would have you believe, both parties are the next best thing to identical. They disagree on certain hot-button (but ultimately not terribly important) issues, but their core principles are virtually identical. It doesn't matter who you vote for, because it'll end up being virtually the same asshole as the last one, so why bother?