Why do so many people hate Naruto?

smith of gear 92

Apr 11, 2010
Amen Brother! Amen! I like anime too but I ain't crazy about Naruto. I don't hate the show, I just hate the character: Annoying little monkey in an orange jumpsuit, blabbering on about ramen and a stern pink-haired girl, vowing he would become the next Hokage, but once he gets to that status, he suddenley doesn't want to do it anymore! I like most anime, but like you say, I hope it can include Megas. Amen to Megas. That show has some serious balls. And pretty much made every other show on Toonami it's *****. It uppercuted the Justice League, kicked the Teen Titans in their teeth, got everything else in a sleeperhold, and simply sits on Naruto and Naruto can't do a darn thing about it. But I digress, some show just have more balls than others. Naruto, is mainly just filler and rehashing the exact same thing: Naruto good. Akatsuki bad. Really, like you can't expand on that? Like perhad add a new enemy for Naruto? Like another aspiring ninja who is similar to Naruto but less annoying? Or perhaps a better rival than Sasuke? So many options... But all we get is filler...

PwnSt0nes

Jan 10, 2010
I'll admit, I refuse to even watch this "NAUTO" simply becuz it has a 10 yearold boy with whiskers as the main character.... If i actually watched and liked this anime i must shoot myself.

i mean FFS we must have standards people!

but if u watch/like it. no biggy i suppose lol

smith of gear 92

Apr 11, 2010
OutcastBOS said:
I like it, but hated the filler. sadly I believe it's the only anime I watch...If I can't include Megas ^_^
(I forgot to quote this. My bad) Amen Brother! Amen! I like anime too but I ain't crazy about Naruto. I don't hate the show, I just hate the character: Annoying little monkey in an orange jumpsuit, blabbering on about ramen and a stern pink-haired girl, vowing he would become the next Hokage, but once he gets to that status, he suddenley doesn't want to do it anymore! I like most anime, but like you say, I hope it can include Megas. Amen to Megas. That show has some serious balls. And pretty much made every other show on Toonami as well as Cartoon Network it's *****. It uppercuted the Justice League, kicked the Teen Titans in their teeth, got everything else in a sleeperhold, and simply sits on Naruto and Naruto can't do a darn thing about it. But I digress, some show just have more balls than others. Naruto, is mainly just filler and rehashing the exact same thing: Naruto good. Akatsuki bad. Really, like you can't expand on that? Like perhaps add a new enemy for Naruto? Like another aspiring ninja who is similar to Naruto but less annoying? Or perhaps a better rival than Sasuke? So many options... But all we get is filler...

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I hate it pretty much because it's shonen and it's popular so everyone who hates anime uses it as a reason that anime is nothing more than shonen kids stuff and that apparently Cowboy Bebop was an accident for being the only good anime ever created.

So, in clearer words, I hate it because it makes close-minded people even more close-minded.

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
Well, think about it. We get 100+ episodes of filler for those of us who were watching the anime, and then the post-time skip has the main character being pathetically weak compared to everyone else. I had to rewatch all of it minus fillers to realize that the time-skip was only bad in perspective.

Shippuden has gotten better though by far.
Sasuke vs. Itachi makes EVERYTHING better! And if you're like me and you want Sasuke to burn in hell, Sasuke vs. Killer Bee makes EVERYTHING better.
The upcoming episodes in Japanese will be fucking great.

Overall? It's fun. Not the best thing ever, but it is fun.

EDIT: And Naruto stops being so useless and annoying mostly due to one thing: Fuuton: Rasen-Shuriken (excuse my Japanese >.> but the stuff sounds so stupid in english).

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
theironbat46 said:
Ok, I've been noticing lately that people are bringing up Naruto alot. What exactly is the big deal?
Number 1: the bastardised the idea of 'Ninjas' - I mean seriously, the main character wears a bright orange jump suit (in a forest) and commences sneak attacks by shouting really loudly. Yeah, that's a great school of ninja-ness he subscribes to. Which brings us neatly to

Number 2: the fight scenes. I know that anime have a reputation for long, protracted fight scenes, but Naruto goes too far. There was one battle between some random badguy ninja and the guy with one funky eye that went on for three episodes - and it wasn't even a major dude, just fucking filler fight. It was all 'oooh, long stares' and 'gasp! A movement' then 'hah, I got you!' followed inevitably by an endless cycle of 'hah - fooled you! Take this slow, telegraphed attack!'. GAH! I've seen enough of other, GOOD animes to know how slickly an anime fight scene can take place - Ghost in the Shell, Avatar, Elfen Lied, and I'm sure there's plenty others that DON'T need to spend all episode making what should be the most exciting part of the show boring.

Numer 3: Naruto. He's a douche. Maybe he gets better later, but I watched far more of that show that I'd care to admit and nothing changed. Just the stereotypical self-obsessed prat who never seemed to get finished off by the powerful (but mentally damaged) opponents he kept coming up against. Plus the girl couldn't even begin to hold her own - sure, the chick in Bleach is even worse, but again I'll point to Avatar to show how a major female character should be done in this sort of show.

My opinion of the show is that it's the lowest-brow, most juvenile anime in the public eye and with so much better material out there it doesn't deserve the popularity and endurance that it has garnered. Bleach I enjoyed more, but it lost its way around the late 170-80 episode mark (well, IIRC...), and that's in the same sort of popular genre, just with occasionally more depth and consistently better choreographed action.
I understand. Naruto has matured alot through out the series. Watch shippuden. Trust me you might change your mind. If your not interested, I'm fine with that. Also which Avatar. Both have strong female leads. If you are refering to The Last Airbender then yes, the female characters have MUCH bigger roles. Unless you ask Mattel. Zing!I love both shows.

Nevaehfo

May 12, 2010
BELIEVE IT.

That, and it just got stale as I aged. It was eventually replaced with others like 'Bleach', 'FMA', 'GunXSword', etc.

I don't watch any anime now though. Unless one of my friends recommends one to me.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
A number of reasons. 1. IT KILLED OFF ZABUZA! He was my favorite character and the only one who was well rounded. 2. 60 episodes later IT KILLED OF ZAKU! WTF! He was my new favorite character. 3. 50 episodes later of boring uninteresting plots...i gave up on it.

Naled

Apr 11, 2010
I just see it as DBZ for the next generation.

P.S. When did anime begin being looked at as a genre and not a medium?

LloydEsaka

Oct 26, 2009
I blame the dub for the most part. That and its just so damn long! That and it feels like I'm getting a lesson on how to kill someone every episode as the hero or villain slowly explains (with pauses) their master plan that their opponent fell into. It just gets dragged out too much in my opinion. Thats why I stopped watching it.

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Nibbles said:
Well, think about it. We get 100+ episodes of filler for those of us who were watching the anime, and then the post-time skip has the main character being pathetically weak compared to everyone else. I had to rewatch all of it minus fillers to realize that the time-skip was only bad in perspective.

Shippuden has gotten better though by far.
Sasuke vs. Itachi makes EVERYTHING better!
The upcoming episodes in Japanese will be fucking great.

Overall? It's fun. Not the best thing ever, but it is fun.
I don't understand, but If you haven't passed Sauske V. Itachi you sir are in for a wild ride.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
SimuLord said:
Because there's MUCH better anime out there that people could be watching? Because Narutards exemplify every negative stereotype about fans of Japanese culture not from Japan? How about because yes, the show is all filler...and thus refers back to stereotypes previously referenced?
Anime is just animated entertainment from Japan, that's quite broad. I'm sure you could be dooing something better than being on this website right now calling people retarded.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
For me, the first season was really good. It was emotionally deep, had good characterization, epic fights, and a compelling villain. After that, everything fell apart because...

1. Bad Writing
Quite frankly, the writing is terrible after the first season. Almost immediately afterward, we get entire episodes with exposition dumps, pointless battles, and episodes where the writer introduces WAAAAAAAAY too many characters at once. The new main villain becomes uncompelling and doesn't even have an encounter with the main characters, aside from a cliche thing where Sasuke gets 'infected' with darkness.

The story also makes one of the most common cop-outs in manga/anime: tournaments. Tournaments are a cheap and uncompelling way for a writer to pace and progress an action story. The combination of excess filler makes the story crawl at a snails pace.

3. Stretched Characterization
Characterization loses its focus once too many characters are introduced at once. As a result, some characters that deserve focus become one-dimensional. The story also seemed to perform deeper characterization on characters who have no involvement in the plot. It also feels like the main characters don't develop well enough. Naruto doesn't seem to mature despite supposedly coming to major enlightenment, Sasuke still is againsty, and Sakura is still useless, despite her being "smart."

2. Cliches
After the first season, the manga/anime becomes a laundry list of the biggest cliches in manga/anime. These include (but not limited to):
- A comical upbeat misfit for a hero
- A hero whose ultimate power is unlocked by being angry or in a near-death situation
- An agansty foil to the main character who becomes an anti-hero, desires revenge, and gets 'tainted' by the forces of evil, who also is admired by all the girls
- A tournament storyline
- A generic villain who's supposed to be an embodiment of evil
- A big-breasted female character who is supposed to be very wise
- Agile guys that wield giant swords
- A pretentious badarse that seems to be highly admired for reasons no character will specifically explain
- A pervert as comic relief
- Stock villains that kill people for no reason other than to show their power
- A stock fat character whose chief defining characteristic is that he eats a lot

4. Fandom
Any Internet junkie should know that ANY media can be ruined by its own fandom. This really doesn't need explanation. However, I will point out one Naruto fan in my statistics class who's a chubby guy with a fluffy goatee, wearing khakis, sandals, and one of those cheap-looking Naruto headbands complete with a matching pseudo-glove (looks like a glove without the actual glove part). Now, showing your fandom is not a bad thing. Wearing a baseball cap or a t-shirt is one thing, but this guy is dressing like a ninja while attending a class of higher learning.

I won't discredit cosplayers in conventions as that's appropriate. However, wearing ninja gear in a mall or at school is like wearing a halloween costume to church.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Because I find it very difficult to get into something I know I'll probably never see the end of, to me without an ending I won't be satisfied with a story. Nothing against the show in particular though I just don't get along with things that are that long.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Plus that song that plays while he talks with people for a whole episode after they wipped each other's asses. Oh, and one more thing.....

[HEADING=1]BELIEVE IT!!!![/HEADING]

Brikson

Jan 28, 2010
theironbat46 said:
lord canti said:
I believe the better question is why does everyone hate one piece? Which in my opinion is one of the best ongoing series definetly better than naruto and bleach. I blame 4kids
I actual have a question about one piece. Where are they? Last time I checked they were on Zombie Island or something.
To the one piece question, I think they are in a giant prison underwater. Haven't watched for awhile though.

OT: My hatred for naruto is from naurto being annoying and cliched to hell, the pink haired chick being a useless *****, and the guy in blue being such an emo ass hat I wanted him to die painfully. I couldn't get into it and never got why I was supposed to like them. Also had some annoying twits in high school who thought they were ninjas because of the show.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
SimuLord said:
Because there's MUCH better anime out there that people could be watching? Because Narutards exemplify every negative stereotype about fans of Japanese culture not from Japan? How about because yes, the show is all filler...and thus refers back to stereotypes previously referenced?
this, exactly this. It makes people who like anime (myself) look bad, and makes others think of us as idiots who desperately want to be Japanese.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Because it's horrifying that Naruto is bringing about an entire army of weaboos that have probably never even heard of much better series such as neon genesis evangelion.
I used to like Naruto...2 years ago when i was 11...looking back I hang my head in shame...