Why do so many people in the "geek" community dislike sports?

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
If I want to be cynical I'd say it's because most gamers are bad at sports. So, we tend to be derisive of the thing we don't like.

But, on the flip side, I also think most gamers are more participants than spectators. We'd rather play a game than watch sports.

I myself, am not good at traditional sports (football, baseball, basketball, etc). Maybe all the jocks in gym class put me off it. Maybe I don't find hitting a ball with a stick to be an appreciable real world skill I need to master. For awhile, I though I just had no coordination.

But later in life, I discovered martial arts and became pretty passionate about them. I've studied judo, muay thai and now kung fu. And while I'm not gifted by any means, I can hold my own pretty well. I also started practicing parkour (and subsequently got my wife hooked on "American Ninja Warrior").

Or maybe it is that we are, as a couple of posters said, loaners who don't really care more for the whole bro-jock teaming thing. As I look at that sports I like (both to do and watch), they seem more geared towards individual displays of skill rather than team-based competition.

KingDragonlord

Jul 22, 2012
Kenbo Slice said:
KingDragonlord said:
Kenbo Slice said:
KingDragonlord said:
Wasted said:
Ishal said:
I dislike the culture of sports more than the sports themselves.

While it's true I was bullied by "jocks" in school, it didn't happen more than any other group. Punks and even other "geeks" had a go at me just as often. Equal opportunity I suppose.

There's just something about going over to a friend's house, and being able to hear his parents (mom typically), screaming bloody murder before I even get in the house. Absolutely losing her shit at the TV screen, beer in hand. Granted this does happen in gamer culture, and it does happen online. But... well... that's not really a compelling argument.

Can't really compare someone getting in your face IRL to an angry message in a chat box or inbox. If they are in a voice chat, mute them or block them. Fact is there are tools at your disposal nearly always for dealing with this stuff online. There is no way to turn off an angry fan who is drunk when you're at a stadium. As for the culture being xenophobic or harsh to outsiders, I'd say sports forums are worse by a very large degree. Gaming is still a young medium. Sports have been around much longer, and their fans often express a zeal and zealotry most gamers could never hope to achieve.
To me, the video game community is easily the most vile and aggressive community that I have experienced. What you attribute as negative aspects to sports fans I see it as 10x worse in any gaming forum. Say what you will, but personal attacks are too casually thrown around in nearly any multiplayer video game.

Homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, death threats are way too common in video game chat rooms and with the popularity of swatting these idiots have a means to potentially kill someone that one time said something that they disagreed with.
Oh please! I don't care how bad they are, words are never as harmful as what can happen to you in the locker room after gym class. And you only get that kind of ugliness from jocks. I'll take a lifetime of net rage over 10 minutes in a locker room.

Sports bring out the very worst sort of competitiveness, aggression, thuggishness, attention grabbing, in public in real life in real and tangible ways. Just look at the top players. A bunch of hyper aggressive morons who can barely speak. Its only on the internet that you can even pretend that geek ugliness comes anything close to approaching that.
In high school I never had a bad experience in the locker room, and I've never had a bad experience with a jock. You shouldn't let how some people in a certain group affect how you view everybody. Do you think all Muslims are terrorists?
And yet you have no problem with how geeks and gamers were generalized in the post I was responding too. I didn't say that all jocks are ugly just that a certain ugliness comes out of that community and that I prefer geek ugliness over jock ugliness.
I didn't say all geeks and gamers. But if this thread is anything to go by I'm not wrong.
You didn't, but Wasted did.

Ragnoon

Aug 9, 2014
I love my motorsport and playing Hockey, but I also love my games and anime. Just have to keep a healthy balance between them all.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Sportsfans are just to violent for me.

Unlike gamers who are mostly all talk and no bite, sports "fans" are obnoxious drunkyards that depending on if they have won or lost can be pretty damn destructive and violent.

you never see riots for example when your favourite CS:GO team lost their match.

Certain Soccer clubs thought? Yeah their "fans" have been responsible for people getting killed and massive amounts of property damage.

Now granted as with most fandoms most are not violent, but can be still pretty douchy if you in their eyes are a fan of the wrong club. And unlike over the internet its kinda hard to ignore your coworker for example.

I rather stick to gaming where the worst that can happen is someone calling you a ****** across three different continents.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
ZiggyE said:
I like playing sports, I don't like watching sports.
Same here. There is nothing more boring than watching other people do things, be it sport or video games

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
All i can say is why I personally dislike sports sometimes. I don't have too much of a beef with sports in general other than finding them uninteresting and dull. what I do dislike is how "normal" it is to be a stark raving mad rabbid fan of a GAME. football, basketball, baseball, these things are religion to some people and that's totally fine. my issue is if you took someone who has an interest in sports or a favorite team and all that, and directed that exact same level of enthusiasm at a video game you're a wierdo or a "basement dwelling neckbeard." where I went to high school there was still very much the whole jock/ nerd bulling going on. so yeah you can say there's some resentment there, i'll admit to having a chip on my shoulder but it is still astonishing to watch people ravenously talk about football stats and season and their favorite players and all that. but when i try to talk about dnd or upcoming game released i need to "Try and talk like an adult." it's the double standard that gets me every time.

Add to that stuff i've mentioned over and over again about the current BS controversy, nerds are constantly under fire for "misogyny" and created a hostile environment towards women meanwhile every other player in the NFL has domestic abuse charges on their record. you'll forgive me for thinking the video tape of ray rice cold cocking his fiance' and knocking her out is an objectively worse thing than assasin's creed not giving you a female character option. floyd mayweather has a laundry list of recorded incidents of beating up his wifes, his girlfriends and on at least one occasion his wife's friends, but lets throw a hissy fit over the design of the new tekken character that makes sense. Hey marvel has a new female thor suck on that you misogynerds and fedora wearing losers. "we litterally could not give a fuck about that if we tried." meanwhile the NFL had to establish a domestic violence panel including former dectectives from the sex crimes division of the NYPD, so yeah it's nerds who are a threat to women. nerds definitely.

As far as the escapist itself goes? well it's kind of a nerd culture site and traditionally sports aint nerd culture you're certainly welcome to talk about that crap in off-topic but don't be surprised or annoyed there isn't much interest.

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Sleekit said:
Kenbo Slice said:
thaluikhain said:
Having said that, certain sports have a reputation for attracting a certain type of person as competitor and spectator.
The same can be said about video games.
very rarely do the police have to be called to clear the streets of drunken gamers...

That's because someones not SWATing you from 5 feet away with a sloshing beer.

Also..have you never been to a party associated with any of the gaming conventions that go on? Many are quiet and subdued (relatively), but I've been to a few post PAX that had cops on deck, so......it's just not as obvious I think, or as frequent, but it does happen.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Mainly because our national sports are so bloody dull (football, cricket, rugby) and the players all seem to have a major superiority complex and a sense of entitlement.
I like(d) the NHL Ice Hockey but I don't get to follow it as its not a mainstream sport here so gets no coverage whatsoever. Aside from this I just don't have any interest, would rather read, paint or play board/computer games with the family.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I think part of it is because sports are geek activities for geeks who don't think they're geeks. It's a form of hypocrisy shaming that is, itself, hypocritical.

It's the sort of thing that will probably eat itself some day.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
To add to my previous post, I hate american team sports with the intensity of a million suns. Given that I'm only 5'3" and 165 lbs, if I wanted to actually try to play ANY pro american sport I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Every popular sport requires height,weight, and strength to excel at. I don't have any of those. So it's no surprise that I would have no interest in sports that aren't for my body type. My body is very good at running long distances at pretty good speeds. Does that make me any less of an athlete than someone who can play a team sport.

I grew up seeing people like that as people I could never get along with. People who play team sports tend to have the type of personality that completely clashes with mine, and I can't change that. They are just too extroverted for my tastes. I'm more of a half and half.

As a runner I am quite competitive, but for some reason this is the only sport where most people don't want to be competitive.

Lastly, I'm an otaku and a gamer so it's no surprise that we as a group don't get along with people who quite literally the opposite of us. I'm more of an exception in our communities, but I completely get the point of what everyone has been saying in this thread.

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
the only sport i geek out over completely is The Era of WWF Smackdown.

i watched alot as a young child. and then the novelty wore off as i grew older.

one day i came back to it, and it was like an old playground and time capsule had re-opened. i realized now as an adult what made it so successful and what made it appeal to me and, i daresay appeal to others just like myself. With just the right amounts, its enough to make me feel youthful as ever. almost to where i'd take it back to 1983 to see Macho Man Randy Savage doing promos. just to see where it all had come from..and from how far. this is entertainment history in a televised form.

its like one poster said. you need to find something that speaks to you in a greater emotional level. something to allow you to connect to and have an profound impact upon your life.

now i geek out on examples of what i consider great writing. the times have fallen hard.

i havent the heart to say why people like and dislike sports. i find little reason to dislike sports, than i do athletes. never stopped me from watching the game tho.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
I love sports-- in the role of participant and spectator. There are few things that feel more satisfying than executing a perfect through ball or connecting with an alley-oop pass, and it's just as nice watching that on TV. When an opponent is taking liberties or trying to clown you, you put something on 'em and let them know that it's going to be a competitive endeavour. PC/console games are not as helpful when you need to unload.

My parents encouraged me to play sports from the time I was about 5, and I never received any serious bullying from other kids for being interested in things like classical literature, comics, or video games.[footnote]If anything, it would be my parents' faith.[/footnote] School kids don't tend to target people who would, on a bad day, run them even in a fight-- they will pick on the 'weak' kid instead.

Julius Terrell said:
Given that I'm only 5'3" and 165 lbs, if I wanted to actually try to play ANY pro american sport I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
Muggsy Bogues would have something to say about that. His gifts were speed, technique, intensity, and wonderful awareness of what was happening on the court.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
I'm all for people being geeks about whatever they bloody well choose, whether it's sports, video games, comics, etc. Even Pony or Furry fandom. I don't need to like your geek-out or even understand its appeal in order to be okay with it.

I'm only hostile to a fandom when it becomes hostile to my fandom. Because we can easily forget that at the end of the day, this is all just useless debate over spare time that we could spend much more productively but choose to enjoy ourselves. As long as no one is actually harmed by one's fandom/fetish/whatever, we're more or less equally valid.

So put on your team's helmet, mark the pages in your Russian novels, pick up your controllers, stack your Yu-Gi-Oh cards or put on your costumes and just have *fun* and live and let live for God's sake.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
I love baseball to death. It is scientifically the most difficult sport to be successful at, and watching the artists in MLB play is just about the best thing there is.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Well ... I can only speak for myself in this case but I really dislike sports. The dislike is mainly on the competitive and cultural side, especially when the country you lived in have this weird obsession for cricket( AKA worst sports ever). So yeah I love video games for the single player sessions. Lastly, if I really like a sport, I will play it not watch someone else to play it.