Why do so many people like Mincraft?

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
its adult computer-code legos... about all that needs to be said...

i'm not sure i 'like' it or dislike it, i find i randomly wander back to it occasionally and can easily waste and entire day without realizing it until the cramps start hurting or my computer crashes... it IS fun on multi-maps, just seeing the crazy shit people build and the wars that get started when someone burns down cobblefuck castle *snickers* and the expansion mods are really fun... i loved Yogbox, wished they'd continued it .-.

sounds to me the xbox only got vanilla minecraft... do they not have the quest-y stuff?

i'm not particularly creative, i always end up building towers that later get struck by lightning and burn down... even stone ones .-.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I find it kinda relaxing, even if i'm just terraforming an area. A nice, somewhat low pressure decent reward game.

The building aspect, and the mechanical aspect are both nice as well.

There's exploring the world, as well.

Lets not forget there is some direction, if you're willing in surviving, and surviving well. There's the Ender dragon, and the nether as well.

Of course you can play with friends, or even total strangers. It can be a mixed bag, but if you enjoy it, then it'll usualy work for you.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Requia said:
Rattja said:
Well people have summed up most of it, but I would like to add one thing.

Redstone!

If you are into electronics at all, it is really fun to play around with. You can do some really crazy things with it too, as it is basically the binary system, and what other game has something like this?
You can make cannons, elevators, clocks, calculators you name it, if that's your thing.
It's both binary *and* analog (or analog in minecraft logic anyway, you can make use of that 0-15 signal strength) now!

There's gonna be some crazy shit coming out. Probably already has, I haven't been paying too much attention to 1.5 (moving versions while modded is a bit more difficult).
I know, been checking it out today actually after I saw this thread, have not played in a while so didn't know about it. Some really interesting stuff there with signal strength and all. Will be fun to see what people manage to do with it =D

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
For me it's the ability to build all kinds of crazy stuff, explore the world, discover all kinds of things, and on occasion having fun with friends. It is true that having the PC version would definitely help increase that amount of fun you can have by yourself due to all the mods and whatnot people have made, but they can only extend it so much before everything just starts feeling like a chore. To be honest I've been burnt out on Minecraft for a while now because I had been playing it by myself so much. I've only been one Minecraft once in the last four or five months and that was just to check out the latest update[sub](Or I should say find out what they had managed to fuck up with the new update until they release another patch)[/sub] and that was months ago.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
It jumped to one of my all-time favorite games when I figured out how redstone circuits work.

Minecraft is one of those "It's better together" games, where having your friends along makes everything funny and interesting. I started on PC then bought it for the 360, though if I were asked which one I prefer I would say the 360 edition because it keeps everything vanilla--I hate having to download mods or texture packs to visit a server, which is usually the case these days. Or servers like Escapecraft where you have to walk waaaaaay out from the spawn to find someplace that hasn't already been built on.

MidnightSt

Sep 9, 2011
...have you never dreamed about living in a lego world? well, now you kind of can!
it all boils down to personal tastes, I have times when I can play it 8 hours straight, and then other times when I don't even think about it for months. and I was too lazy to fiddle with mods. there are players who like games which are just a ...loose framework/starting point for their imagination, and then there are those who prefer worlds that at least look alive by themselves. usually people like both to varying degrees.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Hey, why do people like My Little Pony?
http://vsmallfires.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/kappa.jpg

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn't say its because "you're not on pc." Myself and friends play on pc but don't use any mods. Even so, our servers develop up to a point, then we end up restrating from fresh over and over again. I've spent what must be an insane amount of time watching minecraft content on youtube, and yet the stuff I watch as soon as it releases nowadays is the Roosterteeth Minecraft let's plays which are exclusively from the 360.

What makes Minecraft fun is mucking around on servers / in worlds with friends. It gives purpose to what you build, as y'know, other people can appreciate it, whilst removing the tedium of labouring on something alone.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Why do people like anything? In fact, here is another question; why is there so many "why do so many people like X" threads today? I mean seriously, I have seen 3 thus far with at least 2 pages worth of comments.

As for the topic at hand... it is like an RPG, in that in the single player survival mode, you work up from nothing, and eventually become the master of the land, diamond sword in hand. You can build almost literally anything if you have the ingenuity, time, and resources. It is also quite nice to get the satisfaction of finally finishing that one project, or starting another one. Playing with friends on a server is very fun as well. Having many people working on one huge project can be quite fun.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I've played it without mods and still have a good time. What I enjoy to do the best is simply mine. I mine and I mine until I hit caves and caverns, then, I explore. I love to see what the game world created in these areas. Sometimes it's just a bunch of wondering corridors, sometimes I find those giant trenches, some that even reach up into the open world. Sometimes it's lava or something else. It all just feels like an adventure, going through the tunnels below the earth. I never know exactly what I'll find, so I keep going until I have found it.

And then I make servers with my friends, and we start out playing the game straight. Then someone gets mad and destroys our house. Then we all go creative, and destroy the world.

That's my fun in the game.

Relnik

Oct 5, 2010
its one of the most open ended sandbox games because it allows you too unleash your imagination in any way you see fit. Now im not very creative and that may be a problem for you too. I just play to get to diamond I don't really build anything beyond that so that might be fun for you too but there isn't one specific thing that people play minecraft for it varies based on peoples personalities and opinions.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well you have to get the game idea out of your head, this is a toy and it is only as fun as you make it.
Trying to beat it is just as silly as trying to beat Lego... you are in for a hard and confusing time, either you play with it or leave it.