Why do some people cesnor their own posts?

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
"B@$%@", "s**t", "f***ing", I see this on this forum and others around the internet, and I just don't get it. What exactly is the point? If you're going to cuss, why censor it? Are you offended by the cuss? If so, why would you even pretend to type/say it?

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
So that we don't get banned for pointless swearing. Using it when a situation calls for it is fine, but swearing needlessly will get you banned.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
xitel said:
So that we don't get banned for pointless swearing. Using it when a situation calls for it is fine, but swearing needlessly will get you banned.
Is that true? I read the rules thread when I registered and I didn't see anything in there about swears, I just went back and read it over again and I still don't see anything about swearing.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
not a zaar said:
xitel said:
Is that true? I read the rules thread when I registered and I didn't see anything in there about swears, I just went back and read it over again and I still don't see anything about swearing.
Like I said, it's only if you use it unnecessarily, like if your post is just filled with curse words and not saying anything. Just using swear words won't get you banned, but using them without cause will. Or at least it should, if it doesn't. Plus, it's polite to not use swear words in the first place.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
xitel said:
not a zaar said:
xitel said:
Like I said, it's only if you use it unnecessarily, like if your post is just filled with curse words and not saying anything. Just using swear words won't get you banned, but using them without cause will. Or at least it should, if it doesn't. Plus, it's polite to not use swear words in the first place.
Well, isn't a post with nothing but curse words (censored or otherwise) and no conversational value a post that shouldn't exist in the first place? The term "spam" comes to mind.

October Country

Dec 21, 2008
In a combination of the above: If you want to put emphasis on a point or argument but doesn't want the reader's attention to deviate from the point you are trying to make. Spelling out curse words will make a lot stop and focus on the language and distract them from the content of the post.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
For the reasons mentioned above (xitel mainly), but I try to avoid cussing whenever I can anyways. If I do cuss, it's not censored.